the simple things: part 3

Photograph
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The Simple Things: take my hand, stay as long as you can

Taeyeon had a full smile when she entered the warehouse her band practices in. They found the warehouse abandoned three years ago when she first created the band with her best friends Yuri and Sunny. Although it was rusty and had a limited space, their passion in making music and sharing their art to the world, pushed them to combine all their savings and buy the warehouse and make it their own haven. Taeyeon had grown to love the place too much. It's where she could truly express herself and get lost in music. Her sanctuary. Something not even Jessica could understand.

She just hit a slump. A place where she started giving up on her dreams, doubting herself, doubting her bandmates. They almost fell apart. Because it was frustrating to see all their efforts gone to waste every time they audition and get "no"s after "no"s from entertainment agencies. And Taeyeon just had enough. It's hard to believe in yourself when everybody else don't. Only Jessica believes in her, and she knows that, but Taeyeon couldn't bear to see the exhaustion in her face, the burden she had to bear to keep them going, to believe in herself too. She couldn't believe in herself when Jessica, the one that she loves the most is suffering because of her.

However, things changed when they got the girl busking in the streets of Jeonju to join their band. Jung Wheein, Taeyeon's new hope. She lit the fire in Taeyeon's heart again and she's so, so sure that Wheein is their ticket to success.

"Taeyeon, there you are," Yuri smiled, welcoming their leader. "Our golden girl, Wheein is here." The way Yuri grinned even wider mirrored the proud and hopeful smile on Taeyeon's face. The spark in their eyes was back and it was all thanks to Wheein.

Wheein just waved shyly at her, feet nervously tapping on the floor. Taeyeon bit another smile as she realised that the younger girl had no clue just how important she was in the band. Just how much her sole talent meant to each one of them. "Welcome, Wheein." She started walking towards the girl, putting her hand out for a handshake that Wheein took immediately. "I'm glad that you joined our band. I'm Kim Taeyeon."

"Thank you..." Wheein trailed off, cheeks burning up and Taeyeon noticed that she was still holding her hand. 

"Oh, sorry," she chuckled nervously, retracting her hand. She then faced everyone, clapping her hands to gain Yuri and Sunny's attention. "Guys, I know Wheein just joined us but I got ourselves an audition tomorrow morning and a big gig tomorrow night," she announced, a huge smile plastered on her face. "So we better work hard today and nail tomorrow, alright?" It was starting, she thought, they were finally back on track again. Yuri and Sunny clapped their hands, faces also splitting from happiness. Soon, both of them engulfed Taeyeon and Wheein in a group hug, chanting, celebrating their baby steps. Taeyeon was bursting in happiness.

Practice has begun after Taeyeon distributed some lines on their original songs to Wheein. At first she found it hard to give up the lines. She wrote the songs for Jessica, and it didn't feel right when she imagined somebody else would sing her feelings, her love for her girlfriend. But she had to, to make this work. She trusted that Wheein would give the right emotions to her songs. 

It was nearing seven in the evening when Taeyeon suggested that they have a break. Her face scrunched up as she checked her phone. No notifications. 

"What's up," Sunny threw an arm around her shoulders. "Don't think the practice is going well?"

Taeyeon shook her head, no. "Sica hasn't messaged me yet," she sighed and took a seat on the floor. Sunny followed afterwards, chugging from the water bottle in her hand. 

"As if you don't live together." She sneered and passed the water to Taeyeon. The latter grabbed the bottle but didn't drink from it. "Ten years and you still miss her every time? Wow, true love does exist, my friend."

Taeyeon shook her head again, this time, she clutched on her phone so tight her knuckles were turning white. She closed her eyes, and heaved out her frustration. "She won't be able to go to ur gig tomorrow night. So she promised she would just watch us today. She wanted to meet Wheein too," she said slowly, her ears burning as the familiar feeling of disappointment settled on her stomach. 

Sunny just smiled sadly and patted her friend's back. "Not to make you feel worse or anything, but you do know she wouldn't really come right?" 

Taeyeon stayed still as she silently let what Sunny said sink in. It's true - she knew that Jessica wouldn't come - as with the several other promises she made in seeing her band perform - she knew it would turn out the same again. It . Because she wanted to make Jessica proud. To show her what she loves doing. But Jessica would always bail on her, and she didn't know why. Was it bad that she was hopeful that for once, Jessica would turn up?

"The night is still young, Taeyeon. She might still come," Sunny reassures her. She just gave her a tight smile. She couldn't help but hold onto Sunny's words. Jessica might still turn up.

 

--

The sun was nearly up when Jessica entered their apartment. Her whole body was so heavy from tiredness and all she wanted to do was collapse on her bed, cuddle her girlfriend and sleep. Her eyes widened slightly when she opened the door to the kitchen and found Taeyeon slumped on the table top - with bottles of soju littering on the side. She heaved a sigh.

"Taeyeon," she cooed, gently shaking the sleeping girl.

Taeyeon stirred awake. B

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter