The Waiting Game

Searching for Baekhyun

The Waiting Game (C - 6)

So here’s the deal, Chanyeol and Baekhyun have been friends since kindergarten. Their friendship has been blooming since, it seems destiny has written their future.

They are like butter and toast, coffee and milk, ramen during the cold nights, partners in crime, the rainbow after every rain and every other narrative that people can come up with for people who fit together perfectly. They are Chanyeol and Baekhyun, not Chanyeol, not Baekhyun --- but Chanyeol and Baekhyun.

If there’s one thing people should know about friendship is that it’s a fragile thing. A masterpiece so priceless, once tainted, it will slowly loses its value. Most often than not, friendship is coupled with feelings of wanton desire.

Chanyeol has always pierced on his mind that he’ll forever be with Baekhyun. He thinks being his best friend will make him stay with him forever. A thought of losing Baekhyun hasn’t quite pass through his thinking. For Chanyeol, Baekhyun will always be by his side.
“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol screams as he spots a familiar figure standing awkwardly a few feet away the ticket booth of the subway station. It’s really cute how Baekhyun is throwing daggers at him. It’s not like he is 30 minutes late.

“You’re late” Baekhyun exclaims when Chanyeol reaches his spot.

“I’m not, you’re just early.” He replies beaming, suddenly dropping the bags he's carrying because he needs his arms free from any baggage, he has been dying to envelope Baekhyun into hug, it has been a month.

And then Chanyeol does without any hesitation, arms naturally finding its way to Baekhyun’s back; it’s incredible how Baekhyun fit perfectly in his arms, “I missed you.” He says.

It’s the end of high school and Chanyeol feels proud – pleased because he finished it together with Baekhyun, his best friend. And soon they’ll be off to college – together.

“Congratulations Baekhyun!” He says, smile forming on his lips.

“Congrats too Yeol!”

And it’s satisfying how the warmth of Baekhyun’s body can make Chanyeol’s inside melt.

Friendship, sometimes, is mistaken as a different thing because the word friend masked the truth and sometimes, people, when they realize it – it’s already too late.

“We’re together. Kris and I.”

At first Chanyeol thinks Baekhyun is paired up with Kris for a project so he shifts the conversation into a funnier one.

“I’m paired up with Sehun, how can we even finish our project?” He laughs.

Baekhyun stares at him, “Yeol.” He says more determined and there is something in Baekhyun’s eyes that 
Chanyeol refuses to decipher and suddenly he feels terror.

“Kris and I” Baekhyun states, word for word, slowly.

And Chanyeol wants to run because he senses the next words will be painful

“We’re together. Like, together-together”

“Wh-what?” Chanyeol laughs unsurely, eyes forming crescent moons.

“I said yes.”

And that’s why when Baekhyun cheerfully announced he finally said yes to Kris, Chanyeol’s world started to fall apart. Like the little pieces of a puzzle are taken out and burned into ashes or a glass shattering into miniscule shreds – broken, beyond repair.

It’s the day Chanyeol has realized every time he feels his heart leap isn’t about excitement, every waking moment of wanting to be with Baekhyun isn’t because he needed a companion, every night of countless replays of his adventures with Baekhyun isn’t about treasuring him as a best friend, every time he promises he’ll be with Baekhyun for eternity and whispering I love you’s isn’t because he treats him as best friend but because he is indeed, irreversibly, insanely in love with him.

It’s the same day Chanyeol has realized that he’s too late.

And Chanyeol could only fake a smile while he’s forcing himself not to break down and cry.

Sometimes Chanyeol settles for a forced smile, hoping Baekhyun will not be able to tell he’s faking everything.

“You know I love you right? You’re my best friend and I love you so tell me if something is bothering you.”

It’s comforting. He’s sure Baekhyun just wants the best for him; only wants to take care of him and assure him Baekhyun will always be there for him. Chanyeol knows it since the beginning that people will leave, but not Baekhyun.

But he guesses that is mistake.

But can a mistake be right just once?