The Boy in Seat No. 17

Searching for Baekhyun

The Boy in Seat no. 17, (C - 4)

"I never asked God for anything. This is the only time I'm going to wish for something."
The only bad thing about Park Chanyeol is that he doesn't socialize. He does things by himself--- even when it's a group project, he volunteers to do it on his own. It’s not because he is an introvert – he just doesn’t trust his classmates to do well on a task and he needed to score a high grade. He would not want to put his grades on the hands of other people. It’s a risk he definitely doesn’t want to take.

He survived the 4 grueling years of law school without asking help from friends. He doesn't even try to get hold of the notes that fraternities are giving away every examination periods. He reads, he analyzes and studies on his own – he rarely asks for opinions but when he does, he asks it to the higher levels – the ones he knew are capable of providing sufficient information.

Many find Chanyeol odd and sometimes, arrogant but they can’t deny that Chanyeol is a pretty smart guy, it’s like his whole giant body is a machine where he stores all his knowledge, processes it and when he needs some information, he can easily download it from his brain and release them through his mouth (if its oral recitation) or his hands (if it’s a written examination).

He does everything without the help of anybody but that does not mean he doesn’t have friends – he has but it’s limited to the people who can tolerate his tantrums and mood swings and the constant silence. Chanyeol is grateful for them even though he doesn’t say it – he used actions like when he volunteers to do homework, or even let them copy a certain quiz.

After four years, Chanyeol’s hard work all paid off and he graduated top of his class. That isn’t really a surprise, everyone already expected it.

“You’re really something Park” Sehun says then he gulps all the remaining alcohol from his glass. It’s after their graduation and everyone is celebrating, today is the only time they’ve got because tomorrow, they need to go back to their lives – recall what they have studied for the past years, and once again read as much books that they can and have already read in the short span of time they have left. Tomorrow, they need to start reviewing for the bar.

“Are you going to attend criminal review tomorrow?” Sehun asks, his voice is a little shaky, maybe from all the alcohol he just consumed.

“Nope, I’m not going to any review center. I’ll study on my own.” Chanyeol’s reply is casual but the hinted you have known I can do it on my ownlies in it.

Sehun laughs because he thinks he himself is being silly for it’s stupid to ask Chanyeol if he’ll attend the review classes. When did Chanyeol rely on someone? He never did. He never even once asks God for mercy.

Months go by and the bar month is approaching fast, Chanyeol gets invitation from his friends, mostly from Sehun to attend review classes with him but Chanyeol has declined them all. He doesn’t need them because he has studied well for the past years, he knows he’ll do well in the bar too but there’s one exception. There’s this certain question on one of the sample questionnaires from the past bar exams that he couldn’t answer and he hates how he can’t figure out anything.

One single question – it!

Chanyeol decides to attend the review class because he needs to ask the opinion of the other bar examinees and maybe, he’ll gain more knowledge. He’ll attend – just one day and that’s it.

Chanyeol arrives an hour early and decides to occupy the aisle seat at the back of the room. He wouldn’t want the other bar reviewees to have a hard time looking at the board because of his tall body blocking the view.

He wants this day to pass by as quickly as possible.

 

With a single notebook on his desk, he starts to review all that notes he has done. One by one, students start to fill the room – some are clearly not doing well, there are those who brought so many books their hands couldn’t hold them together. There are some who are obviously happy go lucky kind of persons who doesn’t take anything seriously and there are some who, are, well noisy enough that Chanyeol finds it irritating.

He stops reading so he can politely ask his seatmate to shut the up.

But when he is about to open his mouth, a person announces his arrival.

“Am I late?” says the newcomer.

The guy on the front who Chanyeol remembers as the valedictorian from the other school replies smugly, “No, you’re just in time. Why don’t you take this seat beside me?”

“No, thank you.” The new guy says and proceeds to an empty seat in the middle.

For the first time in Chanyeol’s life, he is mesmerized and couldn’t concentrate on anything that the instructor is saying. His eyes are fixed on the guy settled on seat no. 17.

And just like that, the day ended and the guy on the seat no. 17 is nowhere to be found.

Chanyeol goes home, his question remains unanswered and more questions are built on his mind. Who is he? What school does he come from? What’s his name? Will I see him again?

Chanyeol tries to go back the next day to the review center but he never once saw the guy on seat no. 17 and the days passed, it’s the time to take the bar.

Again, everyone aren’t surprised that Chanyeol topped the national examination – their school celebrates their success and the competition among other law schools is lifted as everyone is invited to join the festivity.

“Congrats Park!” Sehun says aloud, making sure his bestfriend can hear him despite the loud music in the background.

“Congrats too, Oh!” Chanyeol replies and briefly smiled. He has topped the bar, he should feel delighted and contented but he isn’t because something is missing.

The guy in seat no. 17.

“The guy in seat no. 17” Chanyeol says loudly, his eyes growing wide, heart hammering wildly against his chest because the guy in seat no. 17 just passed by in front of him.

“The guy, what?” Sehun replies.

“Sehun, please. I beg you. Help me.” It is rushed, words almost getting jumbled because Chanyeol’s brain suddenly malfunctions.

“What Chanyeol?”

“You owe me those times when I let you copy during tests, and the reviewers I made that I gave you duplicates. Now it’s your turn, you have to help me” Chanyeol says as fast as he can because he fears the time is running out.

Sehun laughs, “I never thought you kept a record”

“It isn’t the time to be joking around, you need to help me Oh Sehun.”

“Of course, I will help you but what is it?”

Chanyeol deeply inhales and then exhales and his index finger automatically pointed to guy standing in front of the red corvette wearing skinny jeans and plain white shirt.

Sehun eyes Chanyeol curiously as if judging the hell out of him, “What about him?”

“I need to know him.” Chanyeol replies hurriedly with the last word has a certain tone to it.

Chanyeol didn’t expect Sehun will answer him with a loud laugh - a laugh that Chanyeol is very familiar with. He didn’t like it.

“You --- you know him?” Chanyeol couldn’t believe it, he has searched the guy on seat no. 17 several times, for days – weeks, months even, and Sehun – his friend, Sehun, knows him. Unbelievable.

“You want to know him?” Sehun says with a smirk, “That’s easy, come with me!” Sehun retorts while he drags the helpless tall guy towards their aim.

Everything is so casual and Chanyeol, for the first time, hates Sehun because the guy just simply taps the shoulder of guy on seat no. 17 and hugs him – ing hugs him.

“How are you? It has been awhile!” Sehun says, smile plastered on his face. But Chanyeol thinks it’s not a smile, it’s a smug grin.

“I’m totally fine, we passed!” the guy on seat no 17 replies and smiles – eyes forming crescent moons. “I missed you!” he adds.

Chanyeol swears he will murder Sehun. He can get away with murder because he’s a lawyer and he topped the bar, concealing the crime would be trouble-free.

“I missed you too!” Sehun answers, still a smile on his face.

Yes, Chanyeol decides, he will kill Sehun.

“Oh, this is my friend Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol” Sehun glances at Chanyeol. His smile is turning into a devil’s grin.

“Oh, you’re Park Chanyeol!” The guy on seat no 17 replies, offering his hand for a handshake “Congrats on topping the bar”

Chanyeol doesn’t reply, not because he didn’t want to but because he is too stunned to even say anything. For the past months, he searched for him but he couldn’t find him. Not once did the guy on seat no. 17 left his mind. He is constantly thinking about him and now, he is in front of Chanyeol.

“I---”

The guy on seat no. 17 laughs – pretty laughs. “I need to go home. My family is celebrating tonight, nice seeing you again Oh. And nice meeting you Park Chanyeol.”

I need to know his name, Who are you? What’s your name?

“Oh, how rude can I be, sorry, I haven’t introduced myself yet, my name’s Byun Baekhyun.”

That night, for the first time in Chanyeol’s life he prayed. He never once prayed for anything. He never once asked for His power during the bar. But tonight, Chanyeol prays that he’ll do anything – he’ll do good, he’ll be the best lawyer that protects those oppressed. He’ll only do what’s right and refrain from doing wrong. He won’t kill Sehun.

"I never asked God for anything. This is the only time I'm going to wish for something."
“I will do everything but please, give Baekhyun to me.”

 

+++

It is Valentine ’s Day, and the rooms are decorated in red, white and pink. Heart shape cut-outs are all around campus, the smell of flowers lingered in the corridors. The students are patiently listening to their professor’s story. They are supposed to be having a quiz on Constitutional Law but the students insist and plead for a story so their professor has agreed to their request.

“So what happened after that Sir?” A girl in front raises the question.

“Did they end up together?” Another student has asked.

The professor smiles and softly answers, “Until now, I’m doing good because that’s what I promised. I will never break my promise – that certain promise. And I’ll do good forever because I’m sure I will love him forever.”

“I will always love the guy in seat no. 17”

 

 

 


a/n: This is based from a story. My professor in law school shared his story to us during Valentine's Day! aaahhh~~~