Endless

Searching for Baekhyun

Endless, (U-5)

I live in the year 2065 and the world isn’t totally different. There are no flying cars nor spacious submarines. World peace isn’t achieved yet and there’s still no cure for cancer.

One thing's for sure, a time travel machine will be invented. And I, Park Chanyeol, will be its creator.
I am 25 years old. I was 25 years old and I’ll forever be 25 years old.

The world doesn’t know about me or anything regarding my existence. I have tried to locate same people that has an ability like mine – I don’t age, I don’t die –the book has termed me as immortal.

I have forgotten the year that I was born, I wasn’t really aware of that before because everything was in chaos. Guns and bombs are the music that I hear and my parents and I were always on the move fearing that the soldiers there will fire at us –killing everyone.

The memory from the past are hazy, my parents died but I could not recall – all I remembered was there was a loud sound and I fell asleep, the moment I woke up, I was in a different place – and everything was peaceful – the war has ended and they rejoiced but I was left alone in an unfamiliar world.

It wasn’t that long when a family had adopted me. They said their son had died during the war and they wanted another one that could help ease the pain, I was lucky I got chosen. My adoptive parents were beyond kind as they assured that I get the best – education, clothing, experiences and memories.

By the time I reached 24, my adoptive mother died because of cancer. It was unbearable, that was the reason I took up medicine to search for a way to cure the deadly disease. And the year after, my adoptive father followed his wife to the heavens and once again, they have left me. I was alone in a world that was unknown.

It was seven years after when I noticed I haven’t aged. People had been growing wrinkles and had been experiencing changes but I haven’t. I am a doctor, I should have known but there was no answer. Ten years after, I still haven’t changed – even a bit. And it was starting to scare me and everyone who was near me. Back then I knew I was special. I knew something was different. And it was terrifying. I tried ending my life – multiple times but I always fail at every attempt. The time I knew I don’t have the capacity to die, it was an utter shock. It was undeniably the weirdest and most heartbreaking disease or whatever it is that has bestowed upon me.

I had to leave the city because continuing living in a place where all the ones I knew were already 20 years older than me, I will be the odd one out. And questions were starting to arise. It was depressing to know I would be leaving the persons I already got close with but I had no choice.

Because of the wealth I inherited from my parents, moving into another city was at ease. No one questioned my credibility, no one asked for my real identity. I never get attached to the persons I meet because doing so would mean pain –sadness- grief because I had to leave them anyways.

I had a routine, I have mastered different skills, I have accumulated much money and I have almost visited all the places. But I never had a goal, I just continue to live. Every 10 years, I moved to different countries –places –towns, villages until the year 2012 when I thought it was going to be just a normal passing year but it started a spark that wasn’t there yet – a feeling I haven’t experienced before and it would make me want to do something – to dream of wanting to have the ability to invent a thing – it was the year when I had experienced the most wonderful feeling – the warmth in my heart, the butterflies in the stomach and the never ending dream to be with someone - it was the year I met Byun Baekhyun.

But it was also the year I prayed to God that He should end my life. Because losing the one I love was a pain so excruciating I felt like I knew the feeling of dying.

I met Baekhyun at the hospital, he was an intern – and was assigned at my department. He was a talented student – it was as if he was already practicing medicine. He talked a lot about his dream of having his own hospital and would always prioritize the one who needed more attention – of those who couldn't afford paying high price because he told me his greatest dream was to lessen the pain of most people.

He asked me then what was my dream and I told him I don’t have any. He laughed and said “what’s the purpose of your life if you don’t have any dreams”

That time I was dumbfounded and stunned, yes, Chanyeol, what is your purpose? And I don’t know what’s the answer.

Days passed, I grew closer with the talkative intern and something in me had changed, I was getting more and more attached until I realized I was in love. Sadly, it was too late. And I lost Baekhyun to an accident.

6 months aren’t enough. It will never be enough, I had to see him again. I had to tell him I love him. So I decided, I would build a time machine and would always go back to that time I met him over and over again. I want to see him again, I want to hear his laugh, to see his smile to and to feel his warmth.

I love him.

And I know I will see him again.