Overrated Song

Searching for Baekhyun

Overrated Song (D-8)

Park Chanyeol and Byun Baekhyun has been together for four years and not once did they celebrate their anniversary, it isn’t because they don’t love each other, it’s a simple reason of having the most hectic of jobs.

Chanyeol is a doctor and Baekhyun is a television producer. Their schedules clash, sometimes they wouldn't see each other in a month. Most of the time. Baekhyun works during the night and Chanyeol’s clinic is open during the day but Chanyeol pretty much works 24 hours because he’s an on call doctor for a nearby hospital. Being a television producer means you need to dedicate all your time and Baekhyun does that.

It’s their anniversary today and Baekhyun, after years, has been granted a full day leave. He could not believe the management has agreed but the good thing is Chanyeol has a regular work off today, finally, they can spend their time together. Finally.

Without any sleep, he quickly goes home, in his mind, he is planning a surprise because his boyfriend deserves the best.

He drops by the grocery store to pick up a few things. Bacon, eggs, toast and maybe a chocolate cake too! Upon reaching home, he checks the time, 3 more hours before Chanyeol arrives. Plenty of time.

He sets up the table, prepare breakfast, spends an hour in a shower because soon, everything will be wild. Baekhyun smiles at the thought.

Fifteen more minutes, and Baekhyun sprays Chanyeol’s most loved cologne. Wearing only his t-shirt, Baekhyun is prepared.

But twenty minutes later, Chanyeol hasn’t arrived yet.

I guess he’s late.

But instead of Chanyeol appearing, Baekhyun gets a text message.

Hi Babe! I got stuck in the hospital :( I was supposed to drop by your office and give you flowers but I need to monitor a patient - I’ll be leading a surgery. Will spend the day and maybe the night here in the office. Happy Anniversary Babe. I love you.

“I guess this year isn’t good too” Baekhyun sighs in disbelief but he dismisses the thought because he knows their work are both important to them, they can celebrate some other time.

“Well, I get to have a proper sleep.”

And Baekhyun puts up his pajamas, cleans the table and stores the untouched food on their refrigerator. Maybe Chanyeol will eat them when he arrives later.

 

His loud ringtone has woken him up. He groggily replies, “Hello? Byun Baekhyun speaking. How may I----”

“Good morning. Are you Mr. Byun!?” The other man says on the other end of the line.

The tone isn’t bright and it jolts Baekhyun from the bed. “Yes?” he replies shakily.
“You need to go to Seoul General hospital.”

“Wha-what?” Baekhyun’s tears are starting to fall, he doesn’t know why but the speaker’s tone isn’t right.

And the line went dead.

No second is wasted as Baekhyun scrambles to his feet, stands up and runs out of the apartment. He hails a cab, tears streaming from his eyes. He doesn't know what to do, what to feel. But it feels like something isn't quite right.

Dressed in pajamas and a plain tshirt paired with bedroom slippers, he enters the hospital - shaking.

He sees a familiar figure, “Sehun” Baekhyun screams, “Sehun, Sehun, what happened?” But Sehun doesn't reply, not a single trace of any emotion seen on his face. He replies to Baekyyun, “Come with me.”

“What-what happened? Sehun, answer me. Please”

Sehun grabs Baekhyun’s hands firmly and leads him to a room. “Go ahead, he needs you there”

“Sehun, I beg you. What the is happening?”

But Sehun refuses to respond as he just opens the door for Baekhyun to enter. It’s dark and it feels empty.

Baekhyun’s heart is filled with sorrow, what the is happening? Chanyeol, what happened? Chanyeol, please be okay - please, Chan----

“Coz darling, I will be loving you ‘til we’re 70”

A voice suddenly fills the whole room and Baekhyun is getting confused.

“And, baby, my heart could still fall as hard as 23”

And slowly, the room is being lit up with candles.

“And I’m thinking ‘bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways. Maybe just the touch of a hand”

Chanyeol then appears with a guitar on his hands while he sings the rest of the song with a creepy smile on his face. Baekhyun’s amused. He isn’t happy.

“Well, me -I fall in love with you every single day, And I just wanna tell you I am so honey now - Take me into your loving arms; Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars, Place your head on my beating heart. I’m thinking out loud. Maybe we found love right where we are.”

Chanyeol finishes the song and he walks to his boyfriend, the guitar perfectly situated on his back and a bouquet of flowers on his right hand.

“Happy Anniversary” Chanyeol says but Baekhyun doesn't reply.

Chanyeol moves closer, but Baekhyun doesn’t budge.

“Baek - what, did I scare you? I’m sorry. Oh God you thought something bad happened to me. Oh God, Baek, I am truly sorry. I didn’t mean to, I was just - oh god, Baek say something, I’m sorry. really, I thought - Oh god, I didn----”

“What the Chanyeol?’ Baekhyun finally speaks, “Why the did you sing Thinking Out Loud? You know how much it was overly used. I cannot believe this.”

“I’m---”

“I’m disappointed.” Bakehyu huffs and shakes his head.

“I’m---”

And Then Baekhyun smiles, tiptoes and presses his lips against Chanyeol’ “Happy Anniversary I love you.”

Chanyeol smiles and replies “I love you more” and then he deepens the kiss and bears in his mind, he will not ever sing Thinking out Loud again. Or maybe he will - every time.