Chapter 25

The Crimson Feather

Kyungsoo tugged at the waistcoat. He felt like a jester. A very well dressed jester. No, that wasn’t right – to call looking like the Prince Regent a jester. He closed his eyes, scrunching up his nose. How had he ever let Minseok talk him into this?

“Kyungsoo, it shall only be for a couple of hours and it is for the good of the entire country,” Minseok had pleaded. Kyungsoo had declined, holding firm. But then there was Jongin looking ever so disappointed at his refusal. Jongin and his pout were hard to resist.

Even harder to resist was the way Jongin fawned over him. “I am worried for you, Kyungsoo. Please stay safe or I don’t know what I shall do with myself.” Jongin and his declarations of love – verbal and nonverbal were impossible to resist. He blushed thinking about what had happened the night before.  

Kyungsoo let a sigh escape his lips. He waited in the ornate carriage just as he had been instructed. Minseok and Jongdae had told him he would make a belated appearance at the gala, just in time to step inside the sumptuous event and find all hell breaking lose.

“Do not, I repeat, do not drink anything handed to you.” Jongdae had reiterated the point again and again.

“I fail to see how anyone would mistake me for the Prince Regent,” Kyungsoo had protested more than once.

“You are the right height. Some padding and a hood should make you more than passable.”

Kyungsoo patted his stomach, his hand landing on the layers of padding that Jongin had helped wrap around him. The regent was quite a bit healthier than he was.

“Ready?” The carriage door opened, Kyungsoo jumping in fright. Jongdae poked his head in.

“As I will ever be,” Kyungsoo muttered, alighting the carriage as carefully as he could with the added weight and awkward attire.

***

Minseok watched from the alcove. The gala was in full swing, the place packed with wealthy politicians, titled men and women, and every person that Siwon had reported was part of the plot to overthrow the monarchy. Kyuhyun held a glass of wine, passing from conversation to conversation. Changmin, the reason the gala was being held in the first place, stood near the front of the room receiving congratulations for his election to the House of Commons. Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae made the rounds of the gala together, appearing completely at ease.

“They really have no idea, do they?” Luhan sidled up to Minseok. They had both kept out of sight of those attending the gala. It was fortuitous that the owner of the place knew when to cooperate. After Lee Soo Man had gotten involved the man had gladly shown the home office agents where to stay out of sight while still watching the goings on in the main ballroom.

“No, it appears not.” Minseok was still worried. Kyungsoo would appear soon. What if harm was to come to him? He would never forgive himself.

The plan was for Kyungsoo to enter the gala long enough for the suspects to spring into action – which Jongdae estimated would be fairly soon after the “regent” arrived. Once they denounced the regent and produced the letter copes that Minho and Taemin had replaced the night before they would be arrested.

“Jongdae went to fetch Kyungsoo now.” Minseok kept his eyes trained on the doorway to the ballroom.

Luhan slipped his hand into his husband’s, offering up a reassuring squeeze. Both men fell into an uneasy silence, waiting, and watching.

***

Kyungsoo stumbled once and almost fell. He was not used to wearing such formal shoes much less trousers. Thankfully he was able to right himself before his identity was revealed.

He tensed as he was introduced to the room as the Prince Regent. He went through the actions instructed by Jongdae. Wave the others to stand. Don’t say anything. Walk into the place like you own it.

“Your highness, thank you for attending.”

Kyungsoo peeked out from under the hooded coat. It was Changmin. Kyungsoo nodded. The adrenaline coursing through him as he faced one of the suspects.

“Those gathered, please give a warm welcome to the man who will be king.” Changmin spoke with a flourish. “Those gathered please pay witness to – “

The sudden pause had Kyungsoo unintentionally taking a step backward out of fear.

“Now!” Kyungsoo heard Jongdae shout, then he felt a sharp pain in his stomach. Kyungsoo fell to the ground, his hood slipping back as a shower of paper was tossed into the air, the fake letter copies falling all around him.

***

“He shot him!” Minseok watched in horror as Changmin had produced a small pistol and fired, everything happening so quickly it as a blur. Jongdae shouted, the agents came pouring in, and Kyungsoo fell to the ground. Changmin was tackled to the ground, the pistol dropping onto the ballroom floor.

“Oh god, no!” Luhan rushed out from the hiding spot, rushing the valet alongside Minseok.

“Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo!” Minseok knelt next to the valet.

“Sir?”

Minseok watched in amazement as Kyungsoo struggled to sit up.

“You were shot! Stay still!” Minseok ordered, pushing him back towards the ground.

“No, I don’t think it got through the padding.” Kyungsoo had felt a pain but he was certain he would feel a lot worse if he had just received a bullet to the stomach.

Minseok began pushing up the valet’s waist coat, scarcely able to believe his eyes as he uncovered the padding. The bullet had become stuck, never actually hitting Kyungsoo.

“Oh thank heavens!” Minseok clutched his valet to him, nearly smothering the man in a tight embrace.

Luhan smirked as he took in the sight of his husband and his husband’s most loyal servant, holding each other in the middle of such chaos.

“I would almost think you favor me, sir,” Kyungsoo muttered.

Minseok didn’t answer, he was happy so very happy Kyungsoo was uninjured. When he felt a hard shove he toppled over, his place in Kyungsoo’s arms replaced in an instant by Jongin.

He smiled as he watched the valet’s engage in a lip lock, completely ignoring everything around them.

***

They were all gathered in Jongdae’s office. Sehun was there, pursing his lips as he glanced at Tao every chance he got. Tao kept his eyes fixed on Jongdae. Heechul muttered inappropriate comments now and then, earning tsks from his boyfriend. Minseok and Luhan sat next to each other, holding hands without a care for what anyone around them thought. Jongin and Kyungsoo stayed near the door, looking slightly uncomfortable for being called to a meeting in Jongdae’s office.

“The case of the Crimson Feather is officially closed.” Jongdae announced, feeling happy for the first time in a long time.

“Changmin has confessed to the murder of Angelique. The maid found out about the Club after following him to the cavern, looking for her mistress. She was unaware that Victoria had already left town with Kyuhyun. Changmin killed her to silence her.”

“Kyuhyun has confessed to killing Mathew Page for threatening to blackmail the club once he learned of its existence. He has also confessed to setting the Page house on fire to silence Mrs. Page and planning the accident that injured Junmyeon.”

“I fail to understand how you are so damn good at getting people to confess.” Heechul tilted his head to the side, looking Jongdae up and down. “On second thought I completely understand how you are so good at it.”

Jongdae ignored him. “They shall be tried posthaste for their crimes, including soliciting the kidnapping of the twins. Their accomplices, including Marie and the Comte shall stand trial as well. I have taken the death penalty off the table in order for their cooperation.”

“So it wasn’t your magnificent beauty that go them to talk? What a shame, old boy,” Heechul drawled.

“So it is over,” Sehun said quietly.

“Yes, it is over. I couldn’t have done it without all of you.” Jongdae’s eyes hovered on Sehun for a moment longer than the others.

Minseok saw the tears threatening to fall from Sehun’s eyes. Jongdae must have as well. He cleared his throat. “The Prince Regent is immeasurably grateful as well. He would like to bestow an award on all of us, Junmyeon, Taemin, and Minho included.”

“An award, sir?” Kyungsoo squeaked from the back of the room.

“Yes, for so valiantly uncovering the plot and saving his life.”

“I am not sure if that is befitting a valet, sir.” Kyungsoo protested.

“Do you dare argue with the future king of this country?” Jongdae asked, chuckling when Kyungsoo took back his protests.

A few minutes later Jongdae told them all to go home. Minseok stayed back, watching as his friend finally looked at ease. It had been so long since he had seen Jongdae’s shoulders free of tension, his expression easy going.

“D’Adderleigh, go, you have children who are probably driving their nanny half crazy.” Jongdae slung an arm around his best friend’s shoulder.

“I have a question, something I don’t think was answered.” Minseok had considered it after all was said and done, realizing it had never been explained. Jongdae raised his eyebrows, curious what he had failed to piece together.

“The crimson feather, what did it mean?”

Jongdae smiled sadly. “Kyuhyun said it was the first thing Changmin ever gave him, a single red feather.”

“And they chose that as the symbol of the club?” Minseok found it curious.

“Yes. It was the symbol of their love if you will, of their bond.”

Minseok suddenly understood. So they had been lovers. To think that Victoria had been trapped in a love triangle that she never was truly a part of. Kyuhyun had strung her along as cover after receiving the letter just as Changmin had every time he showed interest in her. It made Minseok sad to think about it. In many ways she had been used as well. And now she was to be deported back to France, her brother likely to spend the rest of his life in prison in England. She was but one of the many sad intersecting tales of this case. A case that was now thankfully over.

***

The Comte was afraid to breath out of his nose. The one whiff of revolting stench that he had unfortunately in made his stomach churn.

“Welcome to your new home.” The jailer laughed as he opened the iron door, shoving the row of prisoners into the small filthy cell.

Kris fell to his knees, his chained hands scraping against the roughly hewn stone floor. He heard curses from Kyuhyun, Siwon, Donghae, Hyukjae, and Changmin as they landed next to him.

“What do we have here?” The voice was gruff, scary. As the cell door clanked and locked behind them Kris looked up to see two haggard figures leaning against the far end of the cell.

“Chanyeol, they look to be upper class.” The smallest of the pair smiled at the new prisoners.

“Why Baekhyun, I think you are correct.” The tall man folded his arms and stared down at the new comers.

Kris glared at the two prisoners.

“Welcome to paradise, old boys.” Baekhyun laughed, spreading his arms out. “May you enjoy your stay.”