Chapter 23

The Crimson Feather

Sehun smoothed his hand over his cheek, flinching at the raised line. He would be lucky if it didn’t leave a scar. The least Victoria could have done is scratch him on the cheek that was already sporting a fresh bruise from Minseok’s goodbye an hour before. If his face was going to be a mess it was better for only half of it to be momentarily ruined.

Yet he took the punch in stride (he deserved it) and the scratch was, well that – that was part of taking someone along for the ride, quite unwillingly. Even now the woman was glaring at him from across the carriage. She looked half crazed, her hair mussed up and her eyes red from crying.

“We’re here.” Tao called from the driver’s box as the carriage came to a slow halt.

Sehun had been surprised Tao hadn’t landed a punch on him as well when he had come looking for his help. His boyfriend had been silent at first, then let out a tirade of accusations and disappointment. Sehun had shoved the letter from Minseok his way and without another word Tao had agreed to help. Sehun was thankful he had asked for the note, knowing full well Tao wouldn’t help him but he would help Minseok if asked.

When the carriage door opened Victoria tried to make a run for it. She tripped over her dress and would have met the paving stones face first if Tao hadn’t caught her.

Tao scooped her up into his arms before turning towards the building. Victoria kicked and struggled to no avail. Her hands were bound and a kerchief was tied around .

“You brought them to a BROTHEL?!” Tao looked from the building to Sehun.

Sehun shrugged, knowing there was nothing he could say to lessen the fact he had not only kidnapped two children but stowed them away in a house of ill repute.

“Minseok should have done more than punch you.”

Sehun remained silent as he opened the door for Tao, beckoning him to enter.

***

Jongdae eyed the man. Was he armed? If they rushed him could they take him down? He was a big person, muscular and rough looking. Probably called the shadiest parts of the east end home. He watched them as he leaned against the cavern wall, his arms folded, emphasizing his muscles.

“Don’t think about it,” Heechul whispered. Jongdae looked at his boyfriend, quirking an eyebrow. Heechul gestured with a nod of his head. Jongdae let his eyes fall on Kyungsoo. The valet had tears streaming down his face. Jongin looked only marginally better, his face contorted in an expression of despair as he watched Kyungsoo cry. There was still the matter of their hands being tied. It would be a foolish pursuit.

“They can’t fight and I sure as hell can’t help you.” Heechul exhaled sharply.

Jongdae knew Heechul was right. Even a four against one fight would likely end poorly for them not to mention who else may be lurking once they leave the caverns.

Minutes passed in silence. Jongdae hugged his legs to his chest, staring straight ahead. When the cavern door open he jumped from the unexpected noise.

Siwon strolled in. With a flick of his wrist the guard departed.

“Come to keep us company? You couldn’t resist my pretty face, could you?” Heechul deadpanned.

“Hm, of course, I am here for your beauty.” Siwon pulled up a chair.

Heechul stopped spouting nonsense and Siwon remained silent. The seconds dragged on before he spoke.

“I can’t see the harm in telling you what is going to happen, seeing as this shall be your last night on this earth.” Siwon leaned forward, his eyes trained on Jongdae. “In two days the Prince Regent will be dead and any support for the royal family will begin to crumble.”

Jongdae knew what he was referring to. “You are going to release the letter.”

“Among other things.” Siwon smiled. “It shall be a toppling of everything wrong with this country. The greed, the hierarchy, the hatred of the working class.”

“Who are you working for?”

“Two men who are worth a thousand of your class.”

“Kyuhyun and Changmin.” Jongdae knew it. It had to be.

Siwon shrugged. “Perhaps.”

“You are all mad.” Jongdae spat.

“And you, sir, are the worst investigator that the Home Office has ever employed. I am simply amazed at your incompetency.”

Jongdae saw the flash of movement out of the corner of his eye, a blur went past him. It took a second to understand what was happening. Heechul had rushed forward, launching himself at Siwon.

Jongdae stood and ran towards the melee, throwing himself into the scuffle. “Run!” He called over his shoulder to Kyungsoo and Jongin, hoping at least two of them would escape.

***

Luhan was busy rubbing small circles on his husband’s back when Tao entered the upstairs room. The twins were asleep on the floor. When Tao spotted them he stepped back as if he was afraid.

“She is here,” Tao whispered before retreating back down the stairs.

“At least Sehun did something right,” Minseok mumbled as he stood. He held out his hand to help Luhan up from where they had been seated on the floor.

When Minseok had told Luhan that Sehun had been sent to fetch Victoria – by force – he had worried that the man would disappear and never complete the job.

“He let me punch him, even said thank you afterwards.” Minseok had reported. Luhan had wished he could have been there to land a punch on Sehun’s face as well.

The couple tiptoed down the stairs in order to not wake the twins. Once they left the room, locking the door behind them, Tao waved them over to another room.

“She has a lot of fight in her.” Tao reported as he opened the door. One look at Sehun and Luhan could believe it. A nasty red welt covered his cheek, his other was a dark purple.

“You did marvelous work, dear.” Luhan patted Minseok’s back as they walked into the room.

“I tried,” Minseok drawled.

“Just as I promised.” Sehun gestured towards the bound woman.

Minseok untied the kerchief, Victoria sputtering and coughing once was freed from the restraint.

“How dare you!” She stared daggers into Minseok.

“Oh, but I dared.”

Luhan hid his smirk. Minseok was y when he was witty. Well, he was normally y but he was…Luhan snapped out of it. It was no time to be thinking about Minseok’s level of iness.

“It turns out, Victoria, your brother had something to do with my children going missing after all. Do you care to tell me what is really going on now?”

Victoria pursed her lips.

“Have it your way.” Minseok picked up the kerchief and tied it around . She tried to struggle but Sehun held her.

“Tao, I need you to send a message to the Comte. If he ever wants to see his sister again he best entertain the idea of meeting me - sooner rather than later.”

***

Jongin ran. The adrenaline coursed through him as he rushed towards the door. He couldn’t be sure what was on the other side – who might be waiting for them. All he knew is that he needed to make sure Kyungsoo was safe, that he needed to know that Kyungsoo was out of harm’s way.

He was a few feet from the entrance when it was thrown open. The burly guard from before stood in the doorway. Jongin pushed Kyungsoo behind him, ready to take the brunt of whatever the man was going to dole out. He would do whatever he could to make sure Kyungsoo wasn’t injured, that he had a chance to escape.

“Where do you think you are going?” The guard cracked his knuckles.

Jongin rushed him, knowing it was a losing battle but having little choice.

The guard collapsed forward seconds before Jongin was about to slam into him, his body landing on the cavern floor with a thud. The shock had Jongin toppling backwards, falling down himself.

“We should ‘ave known better than to let you out of our sights.” A familiar voice drawled from the open doorway.

Jongin could scarcely believe his eyes.

***

“A fine evening, is it not?” A puff of smoke rose into the night.

The Comte nodded. He stared out towards the gardens. Torches lit the stone pathways. It was a marvelous sight yet it paled in comparison to the grandeur of the mansion.

“I hate to be a bore, old boy, but I must inquire after-“

“I am working on it.” The comte cut off the question. He didn’t have anything new to report. He didn’t have any idea where Sehun had disappeared to, he had no luck finding the children either.

“You know that the longer this takes the less faith I have in you.”

“Why are they so important to you?” Kris tore his gaze away from the gardens, fixing his eyes on the man next to him. “Why do you care about the children?”

“Because he cares.” The man turned around and looked into the drawing room. Kris didn’t have to follow his gaze to know who he was staring at. Changmin.

***

“What now?” Tao sat on the edge of the chair, looking from Minseok to Luhan. “I delivered the message but he was not at home.”

“We need to find Jongdae.” Luhan stated firmly.

“I can go,” Tao volunteered readily.

“We should be getting home.” Minseok looked to the sleeping children. He considered if they would be safe if they returned to the townhouse. He couldn’t be sure if the Comte would try to kidnap the children from the home if they returned. “I am not sure if it is safe.”

“Stay. I will go the home office.” Tao reassured them.

“Thank you, Tao, for everything.” Minseok was truly grateful for his help.

“It is the least I could do, considering.”

Minseok didn’t have to ask what he meant. Sehun, he was referring to Sehun.

***

Tao found Sehun downstairs, keeping watch over Victoria. It had been quite the feat to convince the brothel Madame to agree to let the keep the woman there. After Minseok paid her a hefty sum she was more agreeable to the idea.

“We need to talk.” Tao knew it was going to be difficult if not downright painful. Yet it needed to be done.

Sehun didn’t protest, he followed Tao out of the room.

They found one of the side rooms empty, a small space that would offer them a measure of privacy.

“You are breaking it off.” Sehun spoke as soon as they were alone, out of earshot of the girls who were drifting down the long hall, prospective clients on their arms.

Tao swallowed. He felt the tears begin to well. He never thought, never wanted this day to come. It had been four years together, four years that had seen its fair share of complications. Sehun had once been engaged to Minseok. Tao was a servant. There was so much that had been against them yet their love for each other had seen them through, right or wrong. But now, now Tao couldn’t.

“Sehun…” Tao’s voice was low and full of emotion.

“I know I made a mistake.” Sehun was crying, letting the tears flow as he looked into Tao’s eyes. “It is all I do. The Earl of Pressley’s son is a marvelous up, always has been.”

“Why then, why do you continue to do such things? Sehun they are children! D’Adderleigh’s children.” Tao couldn’t reconcile Sehun’s reasoning.

“Perhaps I thought I could be the hero for once. That I would save the day.” Sehun shook his head. “Foolish to entertain such thoughts.”

“I love you but I cannot turn a blind eye to your actions.” It hurt, the pain was physical as well as emotional. “I am going to look for a new employer.”

“Fine.” Sehun’s shoulders sagged.

Tao couldn’t stay a second longer. He turned around and strode out of the room. It was the hardest thing he had ever done in his life.

***

“I am afraid,” Minseok admitted, moving closer to Luhan.

Luhan wrapped his arms around his husband, pulling him close. It had been an hour since Tao had returned, announcing Jongdae was nowhere to be found.

“So am I.” Luhan looked towards the two sleeping children next to him. The bed was thankfully big enough for the four of them.

“I won’t sleep tonight.”

“Neither will I.” There wouldn’t be sleep for either man. If the Comte valued his sister he would meet them at dawn. If he did not show…Luhan tightened his hold on Minseok. He didn’t want to imagine the alternative.

--------------------------------------

a/n- I am sorry for the lack of updates OTL As I near the end of this fic I find that I am…wanting to savor it a bit more. Thanks for hanging in there, I really appreciate it <3