Chapter 11

The Crimson Feather

No sooner had Luhan held up the crimson feather, his expression one of terror, that Jongdae noticed a piece of paper lying under Mr. Page. The paper was barely visible, the politician’s form covering most of it. He ignored it for the time being, continuing to search for signs of life.

“Is he alive?” Minseok crouched down next to the man, watching as Jongdae felt the man’s neck and wrists.

“I don’t think so.” Jongdae had looked for a pulse but found none.

“Who gave him the cup?” Minseok his heels, staring at Victoria pointedly.

“It wasn’t me!” Victoria was crying, the tears streaming down her cheeks as she looked away from the body.

“Then who was it?” Minseok looked around the crowd - a sea of terrified faces staring back, not one person admitting to having done or seen anything. “Not one of you saw who gave him the cup?!”

A person pushed through the crowd, cutting Minseok’s accusatory words short. “I am a doctor.” The man knelt down next to the lifeless form, Jongdae moving aside to give the man access. The physician began feeling for a pulse, leaning in to listen for a breath as he loosened the politician’s cravat. After a good minute of examining the man the physician announced he was deceased.

“Stop anyone from leaving.” Jongdae pointed at the crowd. “You will all need to stay for questioning.”

“On what grounds?”

Minseok bristled – it was the Comte. He must have wandered up to the scene while Minseok was fixated on the doctor’s examination. Of course the Comte would argue about being questioned.

Jongdae pointed at the dead politician. “Is this enough reason? Or how about the fact that your sister was the one cradling his head as he died?”

The Comte didn’t continue to argue, pulling his sister close he refrained from a fruitless bit of protest.

Jongdae, returned to the body, easing the lifeless form ever so he pulled the piece of paper out from under him. Scanning the contents he paled.

“What is it?” Luhan bent down, trying to get a look at the paper. Jongdae quickly folded the paper and shoved it into his coat. Luhan had a feeling that whatever it was, it was not a good sign.

***

Jongdae called in reinforcements, sending Jongin and Kyungsoo to deliver an urgent message to the Home Office, requesting more agents. Luhan, Minseok, Junmyeon, and Heechul worked to keep the crowd contained, funneling them into one of the lecture auditoriums in the hopes that they could stop anyone from leaving. It wasn’t a perfect scenario but it was the best that they could conjure in the short amount of time they had.

Once reinforcement arrived the crowed was more easily kept under control, the questioning beginning in earnest. Jongdae wanted to interrogate Victoria first, Minseok and Luhan agreeing. It was too convenient that she was the one found next to the body.

“I am telling the truth!” Victoria wailed dramatically, her cries echoing in the empty auditorium Jongdae had sequestered for interrogations.  

“Then tell me everything that happened.” Jongdae studied the woman. She was a mess of emotions, her face flushed as she gestured wildly at any insinuation that she knew more than she claimed.

“I was walking by Mr….” Victoria sobbed, “I don’t even know his name!”

Minseok sighed. “Mr. Page. Now where were you going?”

“I was going to find my brother and Mr. Shim and and-“Victoria sniffled, “He fell over as I passed and I caught him. It was terrible!”

“You didn’t see who gave him the water?”

“No!”

“And you don’t recall seeing anyone place anything near him, perhaps?” Jongdae was particularly interested in Victoria’s answer to this question.

“No!” Victoria began sobbing loudly, hugging herself as she begged, “Can I see my brother? Where is my brother?”

“Being questioned.” Jongdae found himself immune to Victoria’s emotions, he had a feeling the woman knew more than she was saying.

In the third auditorium, cleared out after the news of the sudden death of Mathew Page spread through the exhibition like wildfire, Luhan and Junmyeon stared at the Comte Labeaux – attempting very much to hide their sneers.

“Is it a crime to fetch water for your sister?” The Comte feigned boredom, tapping his cane on the floor as he waited for the two men to ask him a question he found to be of significance.

“Why were you at the exhibition?”

“I am proud of my adopted country.” Kris sighed. “And my dear sister wanted to come.”

The questioning went on with the Comte denying any involvement, Luhan and Junmyeon prying, hoping to anger him into revealing some sort of involvement. The interrogation reached an impasse, Luhan and Junmyeon finally having no choice but to release the man.

Luhan punched the wall as Kris walked away, frustrated. Minseok had reported that they had no luck with Victoria either. Changmin had claimed his innocence as well. The other agents from the home office, called in to interrogate others in the crowd were finding themselves coming up equally short. It was as if everyone was blind, no one claiming to see who handed the drink to Mathew Page.

“I can’t understand how no one saw anything.” Junmyeon, hands on his hips, approached where Luhan leaned against the wall, his fist supporting his weight.

“They are lying. Now we need to find out why.” Luhan guessed whoever had dared to murder a politician in a crowded exhibition had the means to cover it up.

“Luhan, Junmyeon.” Jongdae walked into the auditorium, Minseok behind him. “We need to go back to my office.”

Luhan lifted his head, removing his fist from the wall he asked, “What was that paper you found?

“A copy of the letter that Kyuhyun ran off with.” Jongdae reached in his coat pocket, pulling out the folded piece of paper.

“The letter?” Luhan could scarcely believe it. So - the case wasn’t closed after all?

“I had some of my men bring Kyuhyun to my office. We need to question him. There is no way he can deny involvement now.”

“A feather and the letter…” Minseok bit his bottom lip. “So it is all connected.” The death of Angelique, the disappearance of Kyuhyun and Victoria…and now the death of Mathew Page. Someone had placed the items near the body – or perhaps even on the body, the items falling as Page collapsed – as a very obvious bit of evidence. Minseok couldn’t dismiss the thought that they were meant to find the items, meant to know that the game was still on.

“Let’s go.” Minseok was ready to face Kyuhyun.

***

Kyuhyun dabbed at his split lip, wiping away the blood with his cravat. He would be in contact with his lawyer as soon as humanly possible. If the Home Office agents thought they could hit a man of his standing and get away with it they would soon be proven wrong.

Kyuhyun let his cravat fall through his hands, landing on his lap, when he heard the lock to the room turn. They had locked him in after dragging him to the place – which was after they roughed him up. The door opened, Jongdae and his cronies strolling in.

“I will have you know it is illegal to abuse a person without provocation.” Kyuhyun pointed at his split lip, “Your men will pay for this.”

“Worried your pretty face is messed up?” Jongdae didn’t seem particularly worried by Kyuhyun’s threats. He leisurely walked to where a group of chairs sat, claiming one of them. D’Adderleigh and Easton followed suit, with Junmyeon taking the last seat.

“I would like to contact my lawyer.” Kyuhyun wasn’t about to submit to any form of interrogation.

“Sorry, I can’t accommodate that request.” Jongdae leaned forward, staring Kyuhyun in the eyes, “Not when I have more than enough evidence to question you.”

“Ha! Evidence? What evidence?” Kyuhyun crossed his legs, preparing himself for whatever accusations Jongdae hurled his way.

“I found a copy of the letter, resting rather conveniently under Mathew Page’s body. Now how do you suppose that happened?”

“I don’t know.”

“You certainly think you are immune to evidence, don’t you.” Minseok made a mental note to thank whoever had given Kyuhyun the split lip.

“Let me ask you this,” Kyuhyun smiled, a devilish grin that irked Minseok further, “How do you know what the letter says? If you know then who else knows?”

Minseok felt the anger course through him, knowing at that moment any hopes of keeping Kyuhyun in custody were dashed. Kyuhyun was correct, at least in theory. Jongdae couldn’t very well hold Kyuhyun when the fact was Jongdae had been carrying around a copy of the letter when the investigation began. Of course Jongdae had burnt the copy, destroying it at Minseok and Luhan’s home after showing them. But the fact remained, there had been a copy and a magistrate would likely throw out any attempts to claim Kyuhyun was the only one who knew of the letter- because he wasn’t.

A half an hour later Cho Kyuhyun walked out of the Home Office building, a smug look on his face.

***

Luhan and Minseok trudged home shortly after Kyuhyun was let free, the men agreeing to pick things up in the morning. Jongdae wanted a definite cause of death noted, hoping that the type of poison used could be identified – assuming poison was the cause of death. They agreed to meet up the next day, hopefully with more evidence (and in the case of Junmyeon with a full night of sleep under his belt).

When the couple returned to the townhouse they found Jongin and Kyungsoo were still awake, Yixing sitting with them in the kitchen.

“Did you find anything out, sir?” Kyungsoo asked as the couple took a seat near the kitchen hearth.

“Yes and no.” Minseok stared at the fire. “Near the body we fo-“

Minseok stilled when Luhan reached over and squeezed his knee, nodding towards where Yixing sat. Minseok had almost forgotten the man was there, he was so quiet. It was a rash decision, perhaps, as Minseok decided that his estate manager could be privy to such information. Luhan did not look pleased as Minseok resumed reporting the evidence. Minseok ignored his disappointed expression.

“There was a feather near the body as well as a copy of the letter.”

“Letter?” Jongin asked quickly, ignoring the terse look from his own significant other, knowing full well he would be scolded later for not addressing Minseok as sir.

“I am not sure that we should say more. Minseok.” Luhan gritted his teeth.

“A scandalous letter, something that could have vast political consequences.” Minseok once again ignored his husband, saying just enough, not revealing who had written the letter.

“And the feather, sir?” Kyungsoo couldn’t help but be intrigued, recalling his own time helping Minseok back when he was a fugitive.

“Crimson. We found one like it on the body of the twin’s mother.”

“Crimson feather?” Yixing finally spoke up, Minseok and Luhan turning to the man, noting his startled expression. “I..this may not be important, sir,  but I saw a woman with a crimson feathered headdress at the Exhibition a few days go.”

Minseok was definitely interested. “Do you know her? Could you describe her?”

“Was she with anyone?” Luhan chimed in, suddenly very happy that Minseok had dared mention the evidence in the presence of the servants.

Yixing appeared thoughtful. “A blonde woman. Tall, thin. She was meeting a man that I saw with Junmyeon earlier that day.”

“With Junmyeon…” Minseok tried to pinpoint who it could be.

“Changmin.” Luhan shook his head, “That lying devil.”

“I am sorry, I hope that helped.” Yixing looked worried that he had said something wrong.

“Yes, it helped very much.” Minseok had a sudden thought. “Yixing, what day do you return to the estate?”

“The day after tomorrow.” Yixing replied.

“If I needed you to stay on a bit longer, stay in the city and possibly work to identify someone, could you? Do you feel that the estate is in good enough shape for a few more days?”

“Stay in the city…” Yixing missed the estate but the desperate look that Minseok was casting at him made him reconsider. “Yes, if I can help.”

“Thank you Yixing, I mean it.” Minseok would have to make sure to review Yixing’s salary soon, he had a feeling the estate manager was about due for a raise.

“Is that young master Lu- Master Luhan that I hear?” The sound of footsteps descending the kitchen stairs signaled the arrival of the resident nanny, ready to greet her old favorite charge, Luhan.

“Lisbeth.” Luhan smiled immediately upon hearing the familiar voice, Minseok finding the action a bit adorable. Okay, completely adorable.

“How are the twins?” Minseok asked. When he had arrived home he was certain they would be sleeping so he didn’t’ bother entering the nursery lest he wake them up.

“Very good, little angels they are, sir.” Lisbeth replied.

“Little angels indeed.” Kyungsoo muttered under his breath, Minseok not missing the words and casting a quick glare at his valet.

“Twins?” Yixing looked completely lost.

“Yes, as in small children. Two of them, born on the same day.” Kyungsoo was being his sarcastic self. Yixing didn’t seem to notice, too wrapped up in the idea of children and the fact he hadn’t realized they lived in the house.

“If you don’t mind me asking, sir, whose children are they?” Yixing stared at Minseok, raising an eyebrow in curiosity.

Minseok cleared his throat. He should have been used to the awkward conversation by now, having had explained the situation to a handful of people already. But Yixing, he was a bit different. An old friend and one of Minseok’s most trusted employees. “Mine.”

Yixing turned his gaze to Luhan, narrowing his eyes he asked, “And you are…”

“Happy they are living with us.” Luhan answered, not missing a beat.

“They are three years old.” Minseok wanted to make some things clear, “Unfortunately their mother is not, um, in the picture anymore. I was planning on bringing them out to the estate once things settled down. Perhaps this summer sometime. If you could keep it a secret for now I would much appreciate it.”

“Of course, sir!” Yixing grinned, his dimples flashing. “A new generation of D’Adderleighs, how exciting! Everyone back at the estate will be so happy.”

 “I hope so.” Minseok could imagine how the servants back home, many having been born to those who served Minseok’s father and grandfather before, would react to the children. It warmed his heart.

After a few more minutes of banter Minseok and Luhan excused themselves, ready for bed. Lisbeth crept back to the nursery, while Yixing decided to stay and chat with the two valets.

Once Minseok and Luhan were lying in bed, hands intertwined, Luhan broached a subject that he hadn’t been keen on addressing immediately - that is until the talk of introducing the twins to the D’Adderleigh household was brought up. After Minseok requested they leave discussion of the Mathew Page case for the next day, Luhan found no reason not to discuss a more personal matter.

“When are we going to tell my parents?” Luhan squeezed Minseok’s hand, not sure how best to say ‘So when are we going to see if my mom and dad disown me and decide to hate you again?’ – Luhan hoped that wouldn’t be the case but the sudden addition of children, whose maternal origins belonged to the serving class, had a very good chance of sending the Duchess into a fit.

Minseok stared at the ceiling, thinking. Luhan’s parents were exceedingly kind when they wanted to be. They could also be exceedingly judgmental. Before they were married, when Minseok’s name was bandied around town as a criminal, Luhan’s parents had all but attempted to write his existence off, forcing Luhan to break their engagement.

Minseok moved his hand out of Luhan’s, turning on his side to face his husband he reached out and traced a finger along Luhan’s jaw. “I am not going to say I am not afraid how they will react.”

Luhan grasp Minseok’s hand, rubbing it. He exhaled loudly. “You know that no matter how they react it won’t change anything for us.”

“Only if you ever see a penny of your inheritance again.” Minseok wished he hadn’t spoken such words, Luhan looking hurt.

Luhan tightened his hold on Minseok’s hand, turning to look at his husband he spoke. “I don’t care if I lose my money. Not if it comes down to you or a fortune. You know I would chose you.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” Minseok felt guilty, the two of them had only recently reconciled after their first big argument. “Should we perhaps bridge the topic slowly? Or do you think we should lay it on them all at once?”

“Knowing my parents I think it may be better to put them through the shock of it all at once, not drop hints here and there. Let them react as they will.”

Minseok nodded.

“Minseok, I want to formally adopt them.” Luhan adjusted his position so he was lying on his side, facing his husband. He laid his arm over Minseok’s waist.

Minseok smiled. He had hoped Luhan would, though with the craziness of the last week he hadn’t found time to discuss the matter with him. “I love you.”

“Hm? Really?” Luhan pulled Minseok to him, closing the small gap between their bodies. “I had no idea.”

“You are lucky you are so handsome.” Minseok closed his eyes, leaning in he placed a soft kiss on Luhan’s lips.

“I am lucky, aren’t I?” Luhan murmured, gently moving forward. He had no intention of sitting still, not after only one kiss.