Ch. 16

The Promises of Nocturne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As snow trickled down from the grey clouded sky, Key stood at the back door and somberly watched as Mir and Taemin ran through the back yard, yelling and shouting merrily without a care in the world. He watched with regret, the strong emotion overwhelming his heart and filling his eyes with a bitter sorrow as he thought about how young and carefree the two of them were. He was happy that they had found each other and were able to live untouched by the burdens of reality, but it was sad because they were so naïve about what was going on around them.

As it should be, he thought to himself, watching as they began throwing snow at each other. They don’t need to get involved in the poisonous truths out there. They should live to have fun and enjoy all that’s positive in life, but even so, that’s not possible for Taemin. As long as we avoid each other, only acknowledging each other’s presence to be mean, his heart is going to go cold.

For some reason that he did not understand, Key felt himself letting go of his grudge against his old friend. Ever since he’d found out what Kibum had gotten himself into, Key wanted nothing more than to take Taemin by the shoulders and give him a long lecture about why doing drugs was so wrong. Wanting to do so made him realize that part of him wanted to protect Taemin and that meant he still cared about him. As it would be, Key realized that he was beginning to dearly miss his friend and wanted to make up with him.

The problem was, he was stubborn.

While he had let go of the grudge he held against Taemin, Key didn’t want to be the first to apologize or seek out reconciled friendship. Not only that, but Taemin was a carbon copy of himself, stubbornness included. While he was ready to forgive him, there was a very possible chance that Taemin would not want to let go of the past and forgive him.

Even though there’s nothing I need forgiven for since I haven’t actually done anything to him, he thought haughtily, crossing his arms as he continued to observe the two. Although, in all honestly, I really had no reason to be mad at Taemin anyways. Out of all my friends, I didn’t actually call Taemin that night.

It was true; his grudge against Taemin had been for naught. Key knew damn well that at the time, Taemin had been living with one of their older friends while his parents were abroad. Key had called their friend and gotten rejected, but he condemned both of them afterwards even though it wasn’t really Taemin’s fault at all.

With a sigh, Key moved away from the back door and headed into the kitchen. He began to make preparations for some hot chocolate, knowing that any minute that Mir and Taemin would saunter inside seeking warmth. As predicted, not ten minutes later the two of them stepped through the back door, bringing noise and excitement with them. He waited until after they changed into dry clothes did he call them into the kitchen.

“Oh, you’re the best, Key!” Mir exclaimed happily, accepting a steaming mug from him. Key gave him a smile and shrugged modestly.

“Here you go,” He said, handing the next cup to Taemin, who took it and turned away with his nose in the air. Key rolled his eyes and poured himself a cup before joining the two of them at the kitchen table. He took a sip of the drink before turning his attention to Mir and said, “I heard from Dongho that you signed up for the soccer team.”

“That’s right! I’m so freaking good that they’ll have no choice to make me captain!” Mir said triumphantly. Key smiled and nodded slowly; he’d seen the kid kicking a ball around outside before and he really did have the skills to be captain eventually. Maybe not anytime soon, but he was sure that it would happen one day.

“I bet you’ll have to beat Key’s boyfriend first,” Taemin commented under his breath, and Key raised his eyebrows expectantly and turned in his seat to face him.

“Excuse me? Dongho is not my boyfriend,” He declared hotly, kicking Mir under the table with he snorted.

“Oh please, I know you, Key,” Taemin retorted with an evil grin that made Key falter and regret ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter