Ch. 14

The Promises of Nocturne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the harsh wind blowing through the air, the cold cut deep into his skin and left him standing in the middle of the park shivering. He stood there frozen, partially from the bitter air but mostly because he was in shock, unable to comprehend what was going on. It may have been cold out but it did not compare to icy look that was shining in his narrowed eyes.

“What are you doing here?” Key asked in a low, dangerous voice. He balled his fists as a deep anger boiled up in the pit of his stomach.

“Oh, don’t be like that, Key,” said the guy calmly. “I told you that we’d be seeing each other soon. As it so happened, I befriended that funny friend of yours. Mir – he’s sort of wormed his way into being my new best friend.”

Key snarled at his old friend. He had been so careful to avoid running into any of his so called friends. He’d gone so far as to make a new e-mail address and any social profiles. Yet somehow Lee Taemin had managed to sneak back into his life; but he was not about to let that happen.

“I have nothing to say to you,” Key said quietly, turning his back. He slowly began to walk away, back in the direction of the house completely forgetting what he’d been out for.

“Wrong way, Key,” Taemin said with a grin, not moving from where he stood. “You’re supposed to be getting Mir and I some snacks from the store. If you don’t mind, I would like some kettle cooked chips please.”

Key scowled and turned around, brushing past Taemin without say another word to him. As he shuffled away, he heard Taemin’s footsteps receding in the opposite direction.

“I’ll see you at home, Key.”

It was spoken with no malice or ill intent, but in a soft voice that Key had not heard in a very long time. As he walked on, his lip trembled and his nose tingled with the intense feeling to start crying. This was exactly what he had wished to avoid at all costs and now it was finally happening and he had no idea what to do or how to deal with this situation.

He kept his head down when he reached the convenience store. He didn’t want anyone to notice his teary eyes and ask uncomfortable questions. That had happened one too many times in his life and although in the past he used that to his advantage to get what he wanted, right now he wanted to be left alone. So he venture through the store with a basket in hand, gingerly picking out various snacks without much of a thought in his mind.

However, as he turned to the next aisle for drink, he kept his eyes downcast and because of this he did not notice that there was someone coming his way and ended up bumping right into them, gasping slightly shocked.

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t see you – Dongho?” Key said, lifting his head.

“What a surprise, I was actually just on my way to come see you,” Dongho said calmly, tilting his head to the side as he observed Key closely. He lips stretched into a thin line as he took in Key’s dejected appearance. “Is something the matter? You seem rather upset about something today.”

Key shrugged his shoulders, walking behind his friend to grab a couple bottles of soda from the cold shelf. “I don’t want to talk about it,” H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter