Ch. 11

The Promises of Nocturne
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was rather tempting to fling a spoonful of oatmeal across the table at Donghae and if Heechul hadn’t been sitting next to the older boy and if there wasn’t a chance of accidentally missing and hitting him instead, Key would have given into the urge and flung the oatmeal because Donghae was being a complete and utter right now. He was unsuccessfully attempting to suppress laughter, his shoulders were shaking and there were tears in his eyes from mirth.

Key scowled down at his breakfast, forcefully swirling the oatmeal around with more force than necessary as he tried to ignore the ignorant giggles and the fact that Heechul was paying more attention to his phone than he was to the idiot next to him.

“I can’t even,” Donghae gasped, turning away and burying his face in his hands, giggling like a madman. Next to Heechul, Kibum looked at Donghae distastefully and rolled his eyes and Key was partially pleased that he had said nothing to him that morning.

Holding his head high, Key sniffed and took a bite of his now cold and lumpy oatmeal. He knew how awful his face looked and he didn’t need anyone, especially Donghae, pointing it out. The bruising had spread but instead of merely the usual black and purple shades around his nose and eyes, a disgusting yellow had appeared on his upper, swollen lip making it look like he had a bushy mustache. By chance he’d had some concealer in his possession but Heechul had warned him against putting any of it on as it would only irritate his sensitive skin. Plus it would do little good since most of his face was still rather swollen; especially his nose.

“Donghae, stop it,” Mir said quietly, refusing to look up at anyone. He poked at his breakfast with no appetite for a moment before pushing away from the table and leaving the kitchen; a few seconds later they all heard his bedroom door close.

If he wasn’t trying to be a better person, Key would have just tossed his whole bowl at Donghae but instead he resisted and stood up to leave with dignity, lifting his chin haughtily as he walked past the older boy. He marched upstairs and into his room before crawling onto his bed and pulled Heechul’s laptop toward him. He wanted to check all the social networking to see what everyone at school was saying about what happened yesterday – and he was going to find that er who broke his nose and make his life a living hell on Facebook.

But as soon as he opened the internet a little notification popped up on the screen informing him that he had received a new e-mail. Hoping that it was a confirmation e-mail saying that the new coat he’d order was on its day, Key clicked on it eagerly to check. Much to his dismay it was only from an unknown sender but he clicked it anyway to see what it was.

I know where you are ;) I’m coming for you, Key.

“Wonderful,” Key groaned out loud. Clearly it was from the fat idiot and his friend; now they knew where he lived and no doubt were going to do something stupid like light a bag of on fire and throw it on the porch. Heechul was going to kill him if that happened and he would make him clean it up too. Groaning loudly again, Key shut the laptop and pushed it away, falling back onto his pillows.

It hardly seemed fair that when he tried to do something good and stand up for someone he got a broken nose as a result and now he had to deal with now. But he supposed that it was just karma catching up to him and knew that he probably deserved it in one way or another. There was one thing on his mind that he couldn’t shake, though. Over the summer before he had become friends with Kibum, Mir, and Donghae he had relentless picked on – no, bullied – Kibum and he remembered that one time he’d done it in Mir’s presence and the kid had stood in front of Kibum and told Key off pretty darn good. He was a tough kid when he needed to be but Key didn’t understand what happened yesterday, or any other day when he came home in tears after being bullied. Why didn’t he just stand up for himself at school?

Rolling onto his side, Key sighed tiredly and closed his eyes. Who knew

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter