An Unfinished Task

The Angel of Death

Junghan had been postponing his task for two months already. He did other tasks but not this one; he needed more time to think and more time to break away from Joshua but he could not do it when he now lived with the gentle boy. If he could not finish his job this time, they would definitely send someone to replace him. He did not have much time anymore so the pretty angel sat down one day with his boyfriend. He brought out the notebook and opened so Joshua could see. No one had seen the detail in this book before but the boy deserved to know everything about him so this would be the last thing he could do.

“That’s the book I saw”

“Yes” Joshua opened page by page looking at names and dates. The date was back from early 80s which he was not even born yet.

“I am much older than you” Junghan added.

“What are these names for?”

“They were my duties…souls I have to collect” Joshua face turned pale suddenly, he remembered that his name was also on the last page.

“I’m on here too”

“Yes” Junghan flipped the page to middle of the book. He pointed at the name, again it was Joshua Hong. His name was recorded two times and he started to realize what had happened.

“I was supposed to die a long time ago”

“You were so young, I couldn’t do it” The pretty angel looked sad every time he thought about the young Joshua who had the brightest smile. How could you take a soul of the little boy, maybe others could but he chose not to do it. The gentle boy touched soft cheek lightly, he felt bad that he could not do anything to help Junghan. He was just a human…a normal man who loved an angel.

“I still can’t do it Joshua, I really can’t” Junghan said what he thought.

“What will happen? Tell me” His gentle warm hands wiped tear of blood away from beautiful face.

“I don’t know, you….you can’t die” His shaky voice replied.

“Junghan…it might be my destiny”

“No!!”

“Junghan listen, I will spare my life if it was for you” The gentle boy smiled ensuring his loved one that everything was going to be alright. He hated seeing the pretty face down and he definitely did not want Junghan to get in trouble again.

“No Joshua I won’t do it”

“They will punish you just like last time right?? You will be gone and I won’t remember you” 

“…...”

“I can’t live without you, hell…I remember you last time. What make he thinks I will forget this time??” Joshua was upset and he did not want to give up Junghan not to anyone even god himself. 

“Josh….”

“I won’t give up that easily, I am not a kid anymore” The beautiful angel let out small smile on his boyfriend determination. The gentle man would never be able to fight against angels even if he tried. Slender hand touched the boy cheek lovingly, he would never give up his boyfriend to anyone but what could he do now? Every minute passed and Junghan still had no answer for himself.

“I know”

“I can take care of you, you know?” That sentence made the pretty boy chuckled a bit. He was hundreds of years old and lived on his own for long time. This would be the first time in his life that a human wanted to take care of him. He might look weak but Junghan was pretty equipped when it came to fighting. Strangely but it felt great to know someone really cared for him the way Joshua did.

“Yes and thank you” His pink lips curled into sweet smile before leaning in for a kiss. He loved kissing his boyfriend. He loved looking at dark brown tender eyes that he always saw himself reflecting through them. He loved being touched as it left tingling sensation all over his body, made Junghan wanted more and more.
Time was crucial for human and it was too short for an angel like himself. Junghan started counting days since the phone call, he felt that his life was draining away every time he thought about the boy he loved. Until he got a visitor, a black wing angel in front of his house.

“Jun” Junghan knew well why his friend visited him.

“You have been postponing your mission Junghan”

“I still have 2 weeks” 

“They already gave me an order” Cold voice reconfirmed again.

“I know”

“If you can’t finish it by the next 2 weeks, it will be me” Junghan nodded understanding, his face had never been this sad. The tall boy understood his friend situation well as they had known each other forever.

“Junghan” Joshua walked out after he heard the conversation but Jun already left. The beautiful angel turned to hug his boyfriend desperately.

“……”

“So 2 weeks?” Junghan only nodded. He already had plan in his head and it would be painful but it was best for his boyfriend. The pretty angel spent every minute with the boy; he tried not to think about the coming day so they could enjoy their last bit of happiness together. Joshua would wake up early to cook for his beautiful boyfriend; he spent time writing songs and painting picture of Junghan. The angel did not protest and he let the gentle boy did what he liked to do. It had been great week together with no worry and no tasks. They cherished their time because they did not know what would happen next week.


There were times that the beautiful angel would wake up in the middle of the night and he could not go back to sleep. His big brown eyes would look at the peaceful sleeping face next to him until the morning came. Joshua would sometimes hear the sobbing sound from bathroom. The closer it was, the more painful it became. Junghan understood now how it felt losing his beloved one. 


“You are thinking too much again” Joshua touched smooth cheek lightly gaining back the angel attention to him. The gentle boy wanted to hug this tiny body close and took his pain away.

“Sorry”

“I understand” His slender arms pulled the smaller body closer, feeling each other warm body. The pretty boy hugged back and sighed softly. 

“Josh…here, keep it” Junghan removed the ring from his finger and put it on his boyfriend. 

“But it’s always with you” 

“It’s yours now” Joshua took the ring and put on his pinky finger, it fitted him. The pretty angel smiled but it was such a sad smile in the gentle boy eyes.


The beautiful boy woke up early today, he kissed his boyfriend before went in bathroom. Junghan stared at his reflection on the mirror with sorrow eyes. The pretty boy washed up slowly and changed into his white long sleeve sweater and white pants. He walked out and sat on bed beside Joshua who had been sleeping. His small hand short brown hair with smile; tear started rolling down his cheek. 

“I love you Joshua” The gentle boy was still in a deep sleep.

“Please forgive me”
.

.

.

.

.
Seokmin and Jun were shocked to see Junghan came back, especially when his ring was missing. It was like he was back to finish the suicide mission. His black wings were out and dragged across the floor when he walked. The smiley friend who had been worried already tried talking the pretty angel out of this plan but he would not change his mind. Even Jun who had an order to take the boy life had stopped.

“Junghan, you can’t do this” The white wing angel ran and stopped in front of his friend. He used his wings blocking the way.

“It’s my choice to make” 

“It’s his time Junghan, you can’t help him…no one can” Jun added. He tried to reason with his friend many times already but the pretty angel did not listen.

“You are worth more than his short life” Seokmin snapped. He lived long enough to understand how humans were, they lived and died. It was the fact of life, short or long life but they had to pass. They were not immortal like angel. One angel life was invaluable and none could be replaced especially one like Junghan. 

“He…is worth than anything to me” Angels could feel each other pain and Jun was affected the most. 
.

.

.

.

.
The beautiful angel walked in among his kind, his slim figure caught all attentions. Not many times that Yoon Junghan, The Great son would visit the place. His black shining wings dragged on the floor with every step he took. The other angels would look at him in envious, not only he was beautiful but he was also highly respected.


“Father” The young angel walked into the spacious chamber, his tiny body looked tinier in the large open space. 

“You have not finished your latest duty” 

“I will not do it” Sweet voice answered firmly.

“Son, someone will”

“If he has to die, I will die with him…just exile me” The beautiful boy was on his knee as his black wings draped round his slim body, black feather looked very dark comparing to the place. 

“You are brave son, one of our greatest…it was a shame”

“……”

“You will give up your life for the boy?”

“Yes” Junghan closed his eyes accepting his fate; as long as Joshua was safe and alive then he would do anything for that. He knew himself that he could not live without the gentle boy by his side anymore. He was willing to make an ultimate sacrifice, trading his soul for the boy.
.

.

.

.

.
Joshua woke up the next morning and he could not feel his boyfriend present. Junghan was nowhere to be found, only a note left on the table. The gentle boy read with tear in his eyes. He only knew that Junghan would go somewhere that he could not follow.

 

Dear my love, I knew you would be upset to see this note but I had to do it. I just wanted you to know that you gave me a new life which I never knew it existed. You gave me love and I was thankful for that. I hated leaving you like this but I wanted you to forgive me with what I was about to do. I love you Joshua…Please live on for me, for yourself and for everyone around you. 

Please forget me…

 

When he finished reading, the boy did not know what to do or how to think anymore. Junghan left him without saying goodbye and asked him to forget. How could he forget that beautiful face? How could he forget that smile he loved? How could he forget sweet voice calling his name? 

Joshua was hurt and sad. He could not do anything about this, not at all? He blamed himself on being weak and could not protect his boyfriend but how? He looked at the ring on his finger and looked for a way. A way to bring Junghan back but he did not even know where to start. It was as if he lost a part of his soul when the pretty boy left. He did not see how he could live on. He really saw no way out.
.

.

.

.

.
When Junghan opened his eyes, he was still alive but locked up. His father could not take his son life as he could see the determination in his only son eyes. The angel always did what was requested but this human…Joshua Hong must be very special to make his son being like this. There was a reason for everything and he would like to prove that reason.

The pretty angel was now imprisoned in his place and did not allow going out anymore. The beautiful angel could not protest as he was the one requesting. At least, his beloved one was ok. Instead, Seokmin was sent to observe the human. Joshua looked alright physical wise but mental, he did not know. 

 

The smiley angel saw the gentle boy went to church on Sunday since he was young but now he went every evening after work. He would spend a full hour in the church and went home. He was not allow to have a conversation with the boy so he could only watched from a far. The guidance angel would report back once every week.

 

It had only been three months and every day, the beautiful angel would look into nothingness of the place. His power started to fade away bit by bit without knowing, his black feathers scattered on white marble floor and on his own bed while he slept. Even his father locked him up only to separate his son with a human but the beautiful one already gave his ring to the boy so now he was losing his power and his life force. 

 

Seokmin and Jun were allowed to meet their friend and they were both shocked to see the beautiful angel. Junghan did not even have strength to hold his book and his hands were cold and trembling. They did not know how it happened and how to help him.

“Hey Junghan” The smiley angel had no smile on his face when he saw his pretty friend in this state.

“Seokmin you shouldn’t be here” 

“I haven’t seen you in a long time so it’s good to catch up right?” Seokmin was trying to be positive about things, he always brought energy to angels around him but with the beautiful one right now, it might not help. He would hold the beautiful boy hand while he was sleeping in order to share his power and his friend would survive another day.

 

At the same time, he wanted to tell the human and brought back the ring to Junghan but he had to follow the command. Junghan would live longer with the ring but same as Joshua who also held the ring dearly to himself because it was a symbol of the one he loved most.

“Junghan”

“Yes”

“You love that boy so much?” Junghan nodded. He looked tired and pale. His long hair was long and loose on his shoulder. 

“He is happy and healthy” The pretty angel smiled. 

“Thank you”

.

.

.

No one had ever seen an angel fall before...they were exiled from above to become human but never once an angel died. Jun was really worried about his friend...Junghan who had started losing his spirit light, his glowing aura was rarely there and he was cold...very cold. 

“You are dying Junghan” The tall boy said slowly to his friend. He did not know angel could die. It must be because of love. Love could kill any creatures including immortal ones like them. They both looked at Junghan worriedly.

“It hurts loving a human” 

“You know that already, he would die even you let him live! So how long he would have?? Maybe 20 or 30 more years and you, you will live forever” Jun said furiously. He was upset to see his friend suffered because the pretty angel had fallen in love. Seokmin had to stop Jun because he understood this fact even though he never fell in love but he saw humans interacted to each other before. Not only that but he also saw the same love in Joshua eyes.

The pretty boy walked away to his bed for a rest. His father wanted him to forget about Joshua but he could not bring himself to do so. He did not want to think of what his father intended to do. He was tired even when he spoke so maybe death was mercy for him right now.

“Tell me Seokmin, how is the human doing?”

“He is as suffer as your son is”

“Why?”

“It’s simple because he loves your son and no one else”

“….”

“Your son doesn’t have much time left. You just want to imprison him and make him suffer to death?”

“Then it’s about time….bring the human in”
.

.

.

.

.
6 months passed, Joshua was still the same man he was. Even though Junghan wanted him to forget what happened between them but the gentle boy could never do it. He kept telling himself that one day, the pretty angel would come back and he would see that beautiful face again. Until one day, he had a visitor. 


“Are you Joshua Hong?”

“Yes who are you?”

“I am Seokmin, Junghan friend”

“Then you can tell me where Junghan is? Is he safe? How is he? Where is he??” Joshua asked hurriedly, he was going crazy if he did not have answers for all those questions. There was desperation in his soft voice. His emotions could be seen through those brown eyes. It pointed to his pure soul…full of love and care for Junghan.

“He loves you a lot” The guardian could not find more words to say to the boy, his friend was dying and this boy might be only chance.

“And I love him too”

"Please follow me if you want to help Junghan”  

"Sure" The boy answered without hesitation. He grabbed his jacket and walked out that was when Seokmin saw a ring on necklace.

"That’s his ring, keep it safe" Joshua nodded understanding. He always kept this ring close to his heart where the owner belonged. His slender hand held the ring tight in his palm. 


They drove out from the city center to where there were deep forests and Seokmin told him to walk from the road. Not long until they reached to a house…no a mansion or a castle...an ancient one deep into the woods. It was spacious with rose garden in front yard. The house looked empty from outside but right after he stepped past the Iron Gate; there were many angels with wings...white wings mostly. He could not see from outside the house…Where was this place? Was he in heaven?


"It is our sanctuary...just follow me this way" Seokmin explained as he quickly walked. None of the angels cared about Joshua…they seemed to be used to humans walking around their place. They looked like humans anyway except the wings.

The tall boy followed the angel then they walked up stairs to another spiral stair that leaded to the room on top floor. When the angel opened the door, Joshua eyes were already fixed on sleeping figure on the big bed. His large black wings were easy to recognize but why was he so pale…and feathers were on his bed and floor. This did not look good.

"Junghan..." Joshua called out waking the sleeping beauty. His big brown eyes opened slowly and he sat up. 

"Wait here, don't walk in and don’t touch anything"

"But Junghan..."

"I told you to wait...so wait" Joshua looked at the pretty angel in the room with worried. Seokmin walked right in and sat close to Junghan...his hand grabbed a small hand up to take a look. The long hair boy just shook his head slowly and smiled, sad smile was on his face. His bright brown eyes were now dusky.

"Junghan, how are you feeling today?"

"I'm ok" His sweet voice replied softly and slowly. It was harder to breathe so Junghan did nothing but looked down on his shaking hands. The other boy looked at his friend with painful expression. Joshua lifted his hand touched the door before a force hit him hard and he fell on his knee.

"Ouch!! What da...." Seokmin shifted his eyes furiously to the boy outside...Junghan eyes went wide when he heard the familiar voice he loved.

"Joshua?" Soft light sound called out.

"You shouldn't bring him here" Junghan was panic, the boy was safer at home and his father might hurt Joshua.

"I have to"

"No...." 

"Don't argue with me, I know you give up everything for him so now he has to do something to keep you alive!" Seokmin raised his voice a bit as the pretty angel would not do anything to save himself anymore.

"Keep him alive??....Junghan??" Joshua stood up suddenly and walked closer to the door. Junghan looked ill...he was pale and his brown eyes were dull.

"Seokmin, Let me in!!" The soft voice now yelled at the door.

The beautiful angel dragged himself and his enormous wings with him then fell down on his knees. He was exhausted and suffocated…His wings wrapped around his small trembling body protected from cold air.

"No Junghan you can't give up now"

"Maybe it's my time" 

"No..no...nooo" Seokmin ran out before he pulled Joshua in with him but the angel was already dropped on the floor. 

"Junghan....." His trembled hands reached out pulling the slim body closed to his chest. The pretty angel was breathing but it was too soft and too slow.

“I…am…sorry” His sweet voice whispered and his eyes were closing.

“Please stay awake...” Joshua held the smaller body tightly with all the love he had. The giant wings suddenly fade away right in front of his eyes and that was bad.

"Oh no....god please Junghan don't leave me like this..." His brown eyes were tearing up and drops of tear fell down on beautiful face. His beloved one was cold and he was not breathing anymore. The other angel stood there speechless.

"I love you Junghan please come back...please" Joshua held the lifeless body closer to him wishing the beautiful boy would open his eyes. He leaned down kissing forehead crying…blaming himself for his lover death. His lips were on long brown hair he loved. His soft honey voice was now shaking and he seemed to lose all energy to speak. His teary eyes were close remembering every single detail about the beautiful angel...his laugh, his smile, his voice; they came to Joshua right at the moment.


“Junghan….please don’t…leave…me” It was too late…He was too late.

 

 

 

 

 

 

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

I am back and next chapter is the final one already T^T T^T 

This chapter is so sad....Junghan T^T T^T 

Please don't hate me yet, I promise it will be a happy ending ^^

Thank you for reading, subscribes, votes and comments. I really appreciate every comments ^^