2.2

Care Taking

“Hyung, what are you doing here?”

 

Hongbin hears the surprise in Sanghyuk's voice as he lets himself into the apartment. He gives Sanghyuk an easy smile as he removes his shoes and steps further into the apartment. Really, Hongbin isn't sure what he doing is doing here. At 6:30 in the morning.

 

There was no panicky phone call. Nothing he left at the apartment the day before. There's really no reason at all why Hongbin is back at Sanghyuk and Jaehwan's apartment.

 

“Ah, Binnie, we weren't expecting you.” Jaehwan says as Hongbin takes a seat at the kitchen table. Jaehwan is seated in front of Minki, both are wearing bibs. Minki's eyes flash to Hongbin and back to the spoonful of food Jaehwan is holding. Somewhat disappointed in the lack of interest the little boy pays to him, Hongbin reaches over and pokes one of Minki's cheeks.

 

The little boy's eyes still battle between Hongbin and the spoon. Every time Hongbin wins he shows off his dimples, trying to jog Minki's memory. Remember when it was fun poking these little indents?

 

Finally Hongbin wins. Minki reaches towards Hongbin, wanting to poke the dimples again.

 

“Hold it.” Jaehwan says, bringing the spoon back into Minki's view. “You have to eat first little mister.”

 

Hongbin is just as disappointed as Minki, but having a little more experience with his emotions, he just shrugs his shoulders. Minki, however, flips his .

 

The spoon is pushed out of the way, it's contents splattered on the table. The tears are on full blast, as is the volume. Jaehwan looks at Hongbin with tired eyes, “Really?”

 

Hongbin shrugs again, “I mean, I just loved hanging out with the little guy so much I thought I'd walk over and help out again. Don't you have morning meetings or whatever? I can finish feeding him. He obviously wants to play with me.”

 

Sanghyuk takes the fussy Minki in his arms and starts bouncing him lightly. “Our morning meetings were yesterday...” He starts playing airplane with Minki, Jaehwan holding out the spoon expectantly. Instead of the spoon 'flying' to meet the little mouth, the little mouth flies to meet the spoon.

 

He's giggling, now, eyes lifting to Jaehwan every so often, making sure Jaehwan's motor noises are accurate with Sanghyuk's motions.

 

“So you mean to tell me you woke up early on an off day, again, and walked to our apartment just to see if we needed help with Minki?” Sanghyuk dips when Jaehwan sputters and lifts the little boy when Jaehwan accelerates. “You expect me to buy that, Hongbin?”

 

Jaehwan laughs, “You're not fooling anyone Mr. Lee. You spent less than an hour with this little nut.” Hongbin opens his mouth to give his defense, but Jaehwan stops him, “plus, you'd think you would have called, that way you could have the pleasure of feeding and getting him ready like yesterday, right?”

 

“Yeah, and you can't say 'oh, I was just on a morning walk' at 6 in the morning, come on, now...” Sanghyuk elbows Jaehwan in the ribs as if they're sharing an inside joke.

 

“Yah, you don't think your kid is charming enough to make me come back for more?” Hongbin did not come over to be interrogated by tweedle dee and tweedle dum.

 

“I know it!” Sanghyuk snaps his fingers. Minki has calmed and is back to eating in his chair again. Jaehwan looks up, waiting for Sanghyuk's explanation.

 

“Oh, oh, I think I know it to.” Jaehwan is getting excited.

 

“Don't you guys have to get ready for work?” Hongbin asks weakly, afraid he's been found out.

 

“Do you want to say it or me?” Jaehwan asks, wiping Minki's face.

 

“You know what we should do?” Hongbin does not like the look in Sanghyuk's eyes.

 

“Hyung, please control Hyukkie, he's scaring me.” Hongbin tries his hardest, but know he's not the cutest face in the room anymore.

 

Jaehwan scrapes the last spoonful of baby food for Minki to eat. Once Minki takes his bite Jaehwan feeds any remnants to Sanghyuk, letting the spoon hang in the younger man's mouth.

 

“Say it together!” Jaehwan and Sanghyuk are already making Hongbin nauseous. It's too early for this.

 

“Guys, please.”

 

“Ready?”

 

“Set.”

 

“I'll say it I'll say it, just don't”

 

“HONGBIN LIKES THE BABYSITTER!”

 

“Please, please, can we stop this!” Hongbin's head is on the table. He hears Minki clap and squeal in happiness with his fathers.

 

“Did you hear that, Ki? Your first time being used and abused.” Sanghyuk tickles the little belly again.

 

“I'm sure by the time your old enough to remember you'll be used to it with this uncle.” Jaehwan is at the kitchen sink, rinsing the dishes and wringing out a wet cloth to clean Minki.

 

Hyung, tell me, which one did you meet.” Sanghyuk, still with Minki's baby spoon in his mouth walks towards the bedroom, grabbing both his shoes and a pair for Jaehwan. “Was it Wonsik or Taekwoon? No, no, let me guess.”

 

Hongbin refuses to lift his head.

 

I bet it was Taekwoon. His soft voice probably was something new for your loud mouth, right?”

 

Forehead still glued to the table.

 

Hyukkie, please. Think about Hongbin, now.” Hongbin hears a cup being placed close to his head. “It's Wonsik. The hair, if he wasn't wearing a ratty beanie. The deep sultry voice, and those eyes...”

 

Hongbin tries to keep his composure but knows his body is failing him. He's stiffened, trying not to think about those eyes. Is it too late to give in to this annoying pair? They'll still let him walk Minki to the sitter, right?

 

Suddenly, he hears Sanghyuk sigh very close to his ear, “you're right, it is Wonsik.”

 

Yah! Personal space.” Hongbin's head has finally released from the table, hands fan out the air around him, mostly trying to swat Sanghyuk away. Minki, still sitting in his highchair tries to copy Hongbin's hand motions.

 

Just admit it Hongbin, you like the babysitter.” Jaehwan says from the couch, he's putting on his shoes a little slower than yesterday,

 

Are you going to let me drop him off or not?” That's as close as a confession as they're going to get.

 

No.” Sanghyuk says, pulling jackets from their closet.

 

Hongbin, halfway through his first sip of coffee that Jaehwan set on the table for him, chokes. “A-are you fu--”

 

Mouth.” Both Jaehwan and Sanghyuk say sternly. Hongbin's mouth shuts like a trap. They both have that parental tone down pat...

 

But, really? You're not going to let me?”

 

There's a knock at the door.

 

Minki isn't going to the sitter's today.” Jaehwan, now straightening his tie, explains while he walks to the door.

 

Hakyeon is watching him.”

 

AN: Short chapter, most will probably be about this length and about nothing. Just like this one. Ugh...

Thank you for reading!