4.4

Care Taking

“Alex! We weren't expecting you for another-- oh, you're not Alex.”

 

Hongbin has fight physically keep his jaw from dropping. This time Wonsik answers the door in a flat bill hat, blonde hair peeking out from underneath. He used his free hand to catch his falling mouth, his other holding Hakyeon's dog's leash tightly. Although, a little panicked, Hongbin ends up biting his tongue his hand connects so hard.

 

It takes about ten minutes to walk from Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's apartment to Hakyeon's. Running, as Hongbin just found out, takes less than three. Being a Seoul native, adjusting to the new route in between apartments was no big deal. Having a great memory, it took Hongbin no time at all finding the key Hakyeon hides outside his door. Never owning a pet in his entire life, however, caused a few complications when meeting Hakyeon's dog for the first time.

 

His mother was allergic and his dad never liked the added responsibility. He always said keeping alive two pretty daughters and one prettier boy was enough work. And Hongbin agreed, the thought of being in charge of another creature's well being made his hands shake to this day.

 

“Hongbin, right?” Wonsik's opens the door wider, showing off his full outfit. While Hongbin's type is usually a little on the preppier side, something about Wonsik's loose sweatpants and over-sized hoodie makes him want to hop to his hip. Or is it hip to his hop?

 

Finding Hakyeon's dog's leash was the easy part. He could hear the dog bark as soon as he jimmied the key into the deadbolt lock so he knew there was a dog inside. Finding the dog once inside was the hard part. The pitter patter of the dog's paws led Hongbin into Hakyeon's bedroom, underneath his bed only to find a shaking little dog just as nervous as Hongbin was. Unfortunately for Hongbin, the little guy's bite was worse than his pathetically high-pitched bark.

 

The little dog is pacing on his leash. The whole walk to the baby(dog)sitter's house the little dog pulled Hongbin along. Smelling this flower, smelling that tree, no empty candy wrapper left un-. Hongbin thought once the leash was finally on the dog the dog would know what to do. Walk at Hongbin's pace, turn when Hongbin turuns. Hakyeon's dog, which Hongbin can't for the life of him remember the name of, thinks he's the one that's walking Hongbin.

 

“Aw, who is this little guy?” Wonsik bends down and holds out the back of his hand to Hakyeon's dog. The little dog walks up to the hand, sniffing tentatively, then heartily. Hongbin wants to tell Wonsik that he might want to wash his hands, he has no idea where that tongue has been...

 

Then he realizes that both the dog and Wonsik are starring up at him, expectantly.

 

“I'm sorry?” Hongbin manages.

 

“The dog, what's his name?” Wonsik's small smile is back on his lips, making Hongbin's knees weak.

 

“Oh, this dog.” Hongbin pulls on the leash lightly. The dog, being the drama queen he is, yelps loudly at the movement. He must not like Hongbin as much as Hongbin doesn't like the dog...

 

Wonsik winces at the noise, but his eyes still show a smile, “is this dog your dog, Hongbin?”

 

“Ah, well...” Hongbin bends down to pat the dog on the head. The dog, wanting to be as far away from Hongbin as possible, runs in between Wonsik's legs, scratching to be held. To be rescued from his abductor.

 

“Yes, he's mine.”

 

“He's cute,” Wonsik picks up the dog, Hongbin notices the dog stops shaking, “what's his name?”

 

“His name?”

 

Wonsik laughs lightly, as if this guy couldn't get any more attractive... his laugh is even attractive. “Yes, he does have a name, doesn't he?”

 

“Ah,” Think, Hongbin, what was Hakyeon saying when you were daydreaming about Wonsik's hair? It was something short, an action or command, right?

 

“Hop.”

 

This time Wonsik's laugh is so loud it startles both Hongbin and the dog. “His name is Hop? That's a strange name.”

 

“Alex is a strange name, too.”

 

“You're right, it is. Is it short for Hip Hop?”

 

Bingo. “It is! I'm pretty into hip hop, I have a turtle at home named Hip, they're best friends.” Hongbin earns another laugh from Wonsik and he feels on top of the world.

 

“Ah, your daddy's a pretty funny guy, Hop. Good taste in music, too.” Wonsik scratches behind the dog's ear, causing the little guy to melt into his arms. Hongbin has never been so jealous of an animal in his life.

 

“Do you want us to watch him for you?”

 

“Do you mind? I have some errands to run...and when you said you watch pets yesterday... and well, the little guy doesn't like being alone and so before leaving today I thought of you and...”

 

“You thought of me?”

 

“Er.. well I mean I never knew that people watched pets like they do kids and when I met you yesterday you seemed perfect, I mean perfect for the job, well because you told me this is your job and I thought maybe you'd like the business and could use the money.”

 

Wonsik quirks an eyebrow at the sight of Hongbin drowning in humiliation.

 

“I just... I should of called ahead , but I don't have your number. I should have asked for it yesterday, but I didn't think about it and until I looked at him,” points to Hakyeon's dog, “and how pathetic he looked when I was leaving this morning and so I thought I'd just stop by...”

 

“So your pathetic looking dog reminded you of me because you think I could use the money, and you want my phone number?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“No, I, wait.” Hongbin doesn't register the first part of the sentence. All he heard is the 'you want my phone number?' part.

 

“I'm just joking with you, of course we'll watch him! Sometimes we're booked, so it's good to call ahead, but extra pets aren't usually an issue.” Wonsik reaches for the leash, “I can give you one of our cards, it has the land line on it, and I'll need your number, too.” Wonsik pulls out a card and hands it to Hongbin. The card is simple and clean; both boy's names, an e-mail address and the land line Wonsik talked about is on it.

 

Hakyeon's dog looks relieved to be out of Hongbin's care. Hongbin is just as relieved he's sure. He pushes away any thought of repercussions for his blatant lie. Looks like Hongbin needs to buy a pet or adopt a child. Both make him nauseous.

 

“Hongbin?”

 

Hongbin likes the way Wonsik says his name. His deep voice going deeper at the 'Hong,' evening out at the 'bin'. So smooth, so sultry.

 

“Wonsik?” He can most definitely get used to saying the taller boy's name.

 

“Your number?”

 

“You want my number?”

 

“For Hop, in case of emergencies...” Wonsik holds out a cell phone to Hongbin. He takes it, typing in his cellular number and filling in his contact information.

 

Hongbin almost drops the phone when he hands it back to Wonsik. The blonde has to play popcorn with it before getting a firm grip on the device.

 

“I am so sorry, my hands, they tend to shake...”

 

Wonsik, glancing at his phone, smiles, “so I've noticed.”

 

Hongbin's phone rings and he silently curses himself for leaving the volume on. Of course Hakyeon would be calling, angry and confused, demanding an explanation.

 

“Sorry again, this is my annoying friend calling, let me just...”

 

His phone silences before he can fish it out of his pocket. “Oh, so now I'm annoying?”

 

Hongbin's eyebrows stitch together in confusion. This guy sure likes to twist his words...

 

He feels an arm on his shoulder, “relax, that was just me calling your line, so you have my personal number. I was just giving you a hard time.” Wonsik gives his arm a squeeze and opens the door, backing inside.

 

“We'll see you later, have fun with your errands!”

 

Hongbin stares at the missed call alert displaying Wonsik's number. He quickly unlocks the phone, afraid if he doesn't add the contact right away he might miss his chance and the number might magically disappear.

 

“Excuse me,” a lady with a large dog about ten times the size of Hakyeon's dog is barreling towards the door. The dog passes Hongbin without contact, but the lady shoulder checks the brunette so hard he almost drops his own phone.

 

“Alex! Say your sorry!”

 

The dog doesn't say sorry, of course. Neither does the lady, even though she's the one that ran into Hongbin.

 

Hongbin's just thankful his phone didn't fall. He keeps staring at the number, making sure he's transferred it correctly to his contacts. He hugs the phone to his chest and walks back to Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's apartment, knowing he owes Hakyeon and explanation.

 

“Alex, what a strange name.”

 

 

AN: Silly, silly, silly... Next chapter is my first stab at Neo... wish me luck!