6.6

Care Taking

“Yah! Open this door right this instant!”

 

Hakeyon gives the door a firm knock, raising his voice a little. It's a little after the end of the work day, so there are some families walking to and fro. Hakyeon wants his dog back, but he doesn't want to make a scene in the process.

 

This guy, who does he think he is? First, he refuses to return Hakyeon's dog, and on top of that, he thinks he can just end the argument, just like that? Obviously this guy was not a part of his high school debate team. Where were the closing statements? What about the verdict? What about the part where said guy admits he was wrong and that Hakyeon was right? Aish...this guy....

 

Trying to clearly remember the name Hongbin shared with him earlier is being clouded by his anger. Of course Hongbin would be infatuated with such a snob. Such a brat. Such a good-looking son of a . Someone just like Hongbin. Just thinking about the blank look of the dark-haired boy's face makes Hakyeon's own twist into disgust. He's steaming mad at this point, but he tries to give a friendly smile and wave as people walk past the door that's been so abruptly slammed in his face.

 

Hakyeon refuses to lose. He refuses to lose the argument, refuses to leave this house without Skip most definitely refuses to lose any money to this so called 'babysitter'. As if he's going to pay someone for watching his dog when his dog can take care of himself. Hakyeon was only gone for a few hours...

 

“I know you can hear me,” Hakyeon talks closely to the door once the coast is clear of any walkers, “I demand you open this door and give me my dog back!”

 

He takes a step back, waiting for the door to respond. It's a pretty door, painted a bright red with a simple 'Welcome' mat at the foot of it. “Welcome, my ,” Hakyeon mutters under his breath. He thinks about contacting Hongbin, getting right to the source of the kid(dog)napping, but just the thought of Hongbin at this point makes his blood boil. That er.

 

His blood pressure is way through the roof at this point.

 

He's pacing the length of the porch. His eyes are closed. Inhale on steps 1-4, exhale on 5-8. That's pretty much the space of the porch.

 

That's when he remembers.

 

He's thankful that he's so good at remembering things. This calms him down a little, another thing that he's good at; calming his nerves. Hakeyon feels his racing heart slow down to a jog, then a brisk walk, and finally, at it's leisurely pace. Once he's finally collected his thoughts and talked his anger off the ledge, Hakyeon faces the silent door again.

 

“Listen to me, I don't care how much Hongbin likes you or you might like him, there is no excuse for taking a dog without proper owner documentation!” Hakyeon slams his fist against the door for emphasis. “You hear me, Wonsik-ah!” A fist against the door with every word.

 

Okay, so he's not so good at the calm part.

 

There's a soft cry on the other side of the door. So soft that Hakyeon has to press his ear against the door to make sure he's heard correctly. Definitely a cry. At first he thinks he's won the battle. A little embarrassing for such a strong, intimidating man to cry so pathetically, but Hakyeon will still take the win. Suddenly, the cry amplifies, ear to the door no longer needed. Instead of soft sniffles there's loud wailing. Hakyeon jumps back from the door, surprised his anger caused this much noise.

 

“Crap.” Hakeyon says to the silent door. He looks around, no one in sight. He bows at the door, saying sorry as if it's the door he made cry. Before he can turn around he hears the doorknob turn.

 

Out steps the blank-faced babysitter. Now with a little baby boy in hand. The baby looks about Minki's age, maybe a little younger. The baby boy, still crying loudly, clutches to the blank-faced boy's shirt.

 

Okay, making a little baby cry isn't that great of a victory for Hakyeon.

 

“I am so sorry,” Hakyeon begins as he notices the dark expression on the babysitter's still blank face, hands up as if he's dealing with a rabid animal, “I didn't realize someone was taking a nap. I just need my dog back and we can forget this ever happened. I'll pay you of course, for watching Skip.” Wasn't Hakyeon just saying he would be the one getting paid out of this?

 

“I'm not Wonsik.” The soft voice escapes from the babysitter's lips. He's bouncing the baby on his hip, trying to quiet down the still upset boy.

 

“Now I feel even worse,” Hakyeon feels about the size of the baby boy, maybe smaller. Hakeyon was never good at feeling foolish and less at apologizing.

 

Instead of a verbal apology to the boy his own age, Hakyeon leans into the baby boy. “There there little man, I'm sorry I woke you from your nap.” Hakyeon takes the little boy's hands rubbing them together in apology, “your babysitter and I started off on the wrong foot, but I bet if you forgive me he will.”

 

The little boy calms and Hakyeon takes a tiny fist and bops himself on the head. “Ouch, I know I deserved that, I'm sorry, sir!” Hakyeon acts like the tiny fist really had an impact on him. Not only does he flinch at the contact, but he acts more apologetic than ever.

 

Once the little boy giggles Hakyeon knows he's won the little boy over. “What's that?” Hakyeon takes the little hands and puts them up to the now giggling mouth, acting like the baby is sharing a secret with Hakyeon, “you forgive me!?”

 

The baby let's out a squeal of happiness that reminds him of Minki. Hakyeon takes the little hand and kisses the top of it, “thank you, thank you! I promise to never wake you from your beauty sleep ever again!”

 

Once he's satisfied with the baby boy's reaction Hakyeon straightens up and faces the blank-faced boy. But he's not blank-faced anymore. He's smiling. At Hakyeon.

 

Once the babysitter catches up with Hakyeon's motions his smile flattens again. He clears his throat, “I'm not Wonsik.”

 

“I know that, now, I'm really sorry.” Hakyeon takes in the presence of the taller boy. He's still bouncing the now happy boy in his arms. When the little boy reaches in for a hug it melts Hakyeon's heart to see the babysitter smile again. And just like that, the little boy's episode is over, sleeping into the toned arms of his babysitter. Not that Hakyeon notices how toned the babysitter's arms are.

 

“A friend of mine kind of dognapped my dog and brought him here.”

 

“Hm.”

 

“I guess he's got a thing for your friend Wonsik, so he used Skip as an excuse to see him again.”

 

“Hop.”

 

“No, his name is Hongbin.”

 

The babysitter shakes his head again, opening the door into the house. Hakyeon is afraid he's about to come face to face with the red door again, but instead the babysitter motions for Hakeyon to step inside.

 

Hakyeon steps inside and closes the door as quietly as he can. The babysitter points to a pair of slippers and walks further in the house.

 

Trying to keep up, Hakyeon quickly kicks off his shoes, noticing how clean and comfy the house feels. There's a few simple paintings hung, but mostly a lot of toys around. Toys for all types and ages. From rattles to video games to squeaky toys, all seem to have it's own place in the house.

 

He stops at a picture of the babysitter and what Hakyeon assumes is Wonsik. The two wear small smiles, holding a baby and some sort of certificate. Could this mean...?

 

“That was our first client. With our business certification.” The soft voice carries from the kitchen.

 

“Ah, I thought maybe you two had a Minki of your own.” Hakyeon laughs lightly, relieved to hear their relationship seems strictly business. You know, for Hongbin's sake.

 

Hakyeon has to walk to the kitchen to see the babysitter's head shake in answer. He's wearing a small smile on his face and this time, it doesn't leave when the two make eye contact.

 

“Minki is a good baby.”

 

“He is! I babysit him once a week.”

 

“Ah, so you're the other babysitter.”

 

“I am the other babysitter,” Hakyeon laughs at how scandalous the soft-voiced boy makes it sound. “My name is Hakeyon.”

 

“Taekwoon.”

 

The two let their names sink in with each other for a while until he hears small paw prints against a door. Hakyeon finds it cute that Taekwoon gently holds the baby's head still as he turns towards the back of the house, making sure not to wake the sleeping boy.

 

“I had just let them out when your pounding woke him up.” So Taekwoon had heard Hakyeon the whole time. He just chose not to answer. Hakyeon thinks about saying something about his discovery until Taekwoon turns around and picks something out of Hakyeon's hair.

 

“You had a bug in your hair. I didn't want to startle you.” Taekwoon says as he walks towards the source of the noise.

 

Hakyeon nods his head in thanks. Before he can follow around the corner there are two dogs that meet him halfway. One is Skip.

 

“Skip!”

 

The little dog prances up Hakyeon, begging to be held. He keeps jumping and scratching at Hakyeon's legs.

 

“Hop.” Taekwoon motions towards Skip. Hakyeon, being good at picking up on queues, understands what Taekwoon means, now.

 

“Seriously? Hongbin said his name was Hop.”

 

Taekwoon shrugs, “we thought he was just a disobedient dog. Didn't listen to his name.”

 

“Yah, Skip is obedient!” Hakyeon protests, but if he were being honest, Skip could stand to obey a little better...

 

“We can teach him.” Hakyeon scoops up the pup and catches Taekwoon's smile one more time. “We'll need to see the proper ownership papers. And conduct a, what did you call it? Parent interview.”

 

Hakyeon blushes at how ridiculous his own words sound. “How much do I owe you?”

 

Taekwoon shakes his head again, “it's fine.”

 

“No, no,” Hakyeon takes out his wallet, “you still watched him for me, and Skip seems happy to play with another dog.”

 

The two discuss rates and Hakyeon pays Taekwoon extra. When trying to refuse the extra bills Hakyeon threatens to wake the still sleeping baby. Taekwoon concedes.

 

Walking home with Skip on his leash and a new business card in his pocket Hakyeon thinks about his day. His dog was dognapped, he lost a verbal argument to a door, made a baby cry, and just gave away almost all of his grocery money.

 

Then he thinks about the smile on Taekwoon's face.

 

He's definitely the big winner today.

 

AN: Writing in Hakyeon's perspective is hard for me... Thanks for taking the time to read!