3.3

Care Taking

“Ah good morning Lee household!”

 

Hakyeon announces to the house that he's entered. Sanghyuk helps him out of his jacket and cringes at the statement paired with the entrance.

 

“Why do you have to call it that? I'm here, too. HAN Sanghyuk. Han.”

 

Any small amount of attention Hongbin worked so hard to get from Minki immediately vanishes as soon as Hakyeon comes into view. The little boy is reaching so far for Hakyeon he's almost tipping his high chair.

 

“I know little Hyukkie, I only call it that because Jaehwan is older. I know who wears the pants.” Hakyeon says with a wink.

 

“I'm right here, hyung. I let Sanghyuk wear the pants.” Jaehwan says from the living room. He still has his bib on, but must have forgotten about it, his shoes are tied and jacket is on, ready to leave for another day of work.

 

Hongbin's head is down on the table again. All that trouble of waking up early and walking over to Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's and for what? Nothing. He knows it's a matter of time before Hakyeon notices the extra body in the apartment. He has the perfect view of Minki's chair legs and every time he reaches out for Hakyeon Hongbin put's weight on the back two legs, making sure the little guy doesn't flip the whole chair.

 

Finally, someone who wants Hakyeon's love and affection just as much as Hakyeon wants to give.

 

“Ah, there's my little man!” Hongbin hear's Hakyeon say. Then, he feels hands wrapped around his shoulders. “How's little Binnie? How's my little man doing? You're getting so big!”

 

Hongbin tries to shake off the elder acting like he's the baby in the room. He grumbles and Hakyeon laughs once he hears Minki start to sniffle. Hongbin looks up and realizes Hakyeon has just made the actual little boy extremely jealous of the dimpled boy.

 

“It's okay little guy, I was just joking. He's not my little man, you are! Who is? You are!” Hakyeon lifts the little boy from the high chair, using the bib to wipe the corners of the now smiling boy's mouth.

 

“And what's the occasion? Hongbin here, two mornings in a row?”

 

“Save it, hyung, you missed the whole torment I just went through.”

 

Hakeyon walks over to Jaehwan and removes the bib, fake wiping the corner's of his mouth like he did moments before with the child. Jaehwan laughs. Once again, he hands Sanghyuk his briefcase and motions towards the door like he did the day before.

 

“You did just miss the commotion. I'm sure Hongbin will fill you in. He's a baby sitter in training.” Sanghyuk says as he moves in for a kiss from Minki. Jaehwan follows suit, gently pushing Sanghyuk out the door.

 

“Correction, he's just the liaison babysitter.”

 

“In training.” Hakyeon adds, giving Hongbin a knowing wink. How does this guy seem to know what's going on? He wasn't even here yesterday!

 

The three laugh at Hongbin's expense. The fathers say their thanks, bid their farewell, and are once again out the door.

 

Hongbin expects to be hounded with questions once the door is closed, but is promptly ignored. Instead all attention is placed on the child.

 

“Ah Minki, you've grown so much since last week. Did you miss me?” Minki squeals in response. “I missed you, too!”

 

Hakyeon cleans the tiny boy up and places him in his play pin. He turns on the morning cartoons and sets a sippy cup inside. He walks back inside the kitchen area and starts the dishes from this morning.

 

“So, Bin-ah.”

 

“I don't want to talk about it.”

 

“Talk about what?”

 

“Are you their maid, too?” Okay, so Hongbin is a little sore still from the mockery he received this morning.

 

Hakyeon makes direct eye contact with Hongbin, letting the warm water run over his arms. Hongbin's worried he's about to get a lecture when Hakyeon shrugs his shoulders, “I'm just helping them out. I figure if I have a schedule that allows me to do so, then why not. What's your excuse?”

 

“Ah...” Hongbin knows he has some major kissing to do. Still, it's nice to know his friends have missed him.

 

Hongbin walks over to the play pin and watches Minki watch the tv, mesmerized by the cartoon fish on the screen. “It's all new to me, you know?”

 

“Yeah, I think it's new to all of us. I mean I have my nephew, but I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. I was hoping I was the babysitter you were wanting to see.” Hakyeon jokes.

 

Instead of questioning how Hakyeon already knows about the fiasco that happened this morning Hongbin decides to turn the conversation in a different direction. “Of course, Hyung. I've just been busy... I promise I'll come around more.”

 

“Yeah yeah, so tell me, who is he?”

 

Of course, Hakyeon is a one lane road, “He told me his name is Wonsik. I've never seen him before. Do you know him?”

 

“Hmm, name doesn't sound familiar. Of course, Seoul is a big place.”

 

“Yeah, but how is it that Jaehwan and Sanghyuk know them and we don't?

 

“Them?”

 

“There's another one that babysits I guess. I don't know his name.”

 

Hakyeon joins the two in the living room. For a brief moment Hongbin tries to pretend that Minki is his own baby. He turns to look at Hakyeon, but he can't bring himself to take the pretend family full circle. If it were Wonsik sitting next to him, though, he might be thinking a little differently.

 

Even when Hongbin tries to imagine the handsome deep-voiced babysitter's face over Hakyeon's, but as soon as the vision is clear Hakyeon will make some baby noise at Minki, or comment about the cartoon in some way.

 

There's a long moment where Hongbin's thoughts take control and he starts to think about the babysitter's hair, how soft and fluffly it looks, how much he wants to just run his hands through it. If he could just...touch...that hair...

 

“Ah, Hongbin, do I have a bug in my hair? Get it!”

 

Hongbin's hand is inches away from the now freaking out Hakyeon.

 

“What? No! Stop freaking out, you.” Hongbin tries to hide his embarrassment, acting like Minki might need a new toy to hold and shake around.

 

“The look on your face was all weird, like you were really concentrating on something... in my hair...” Hakyeon runs his hands through his hair, making sure anything that was in it is now out.

 

“No, I just... I'm sorry.” Hongbin can't possible indulge the older boy in his hair fantasy, there's not way he'd live that down. Not to mention Sanghyuk would be calling him about it later that night. Maybe even on his lunch break.

 

“I know, babysitting is tough, it's a lot of responsibility, “ Hongbin rolls his eyes and the lecture, “I honestly learned a lot when I got Skip. Not to say that a dog is the same as a--”

 

“Wait, you have a dog?” Aha! Hongbin does have a chance!

 

“Yeah? See, if you'd come around more you'd know this.”

 

“Hyung, you still live off of 5th street, right?” Hongbin says as he shoves his shoes on his feet.

 

“Yeah, but--”

 

“And you keep the key still in the vase of the left of your door?” Hongbin fights with his jacket for a second, then deems it unnecessary.

 

“Hongbin, I get it, you still know me, I was just joking with you.”

 

“Thank you hyung, thank you!”

 

“For what?”

 

“They watch pets, too!” Hongbin says, halfway out the door.