5.5

Care Taking

“Where is my dog.”

 

Hakyeon demands as soon as he sees the door open. He's blinded by anger at first, not caring to notice the young man that's stepped in front of him. Who did Hongbin think he was? Barging into Hakyeon's apartment and kidnapping his dog...dognapping?

 

~

 

When Hongbin returned he looked as if he had just hit the lottery. He kept staring at his phone, locking and unlock the device. When Hakyeon asked what the sudden leave of absence was Hongbin said he had a quick errand to run.

 

“Ah, so that's what you were yelling about on the way out.”

 

Hongbin gave a less than reassuring look at that, “yeah... that was what I was saying...”

 

He had no idea why or how the conversation of Skip stirred that thought, or what his spare key had to do with it, but whatever Hongbin had to do seemed to put the younger one in a much better mood than before.

 

He kept Minki entertained while Hakyeon prepared lunch, so that was good. It wasn't until the sat down for lunch that he had found out what that 'errand' had been.

 

Hongbin visited the babysitter.

 

Ah, Hakyeon had heard about Hongbin's infatuation from Sanghyuk earlier that morning. It was a short message, listing only the details in typical Sanghyuk fashion:

 

  1. Hongbin's at the apartment.

  2. He likes the babysitter

  3. Don't let him take Minki

 

Hongbin fell asleep, just like Minki, with a full belly. He thought about joking with Jaehwan, telling him that he should be paid double since there is another child to care for. And then, it wasn't until Hakyeon heard Hongbin's phone alert the room that a message had come through that he learned the real reason.

 

Not one for privacy Hakyeon picked the phone from Hongbin's hand to see who the message was from.

 

Wonsik: Hi Hongbin, this is Wonsik (the pathetic babysitter that could use your money, remember?) Are you sure your dog's name is Hop? He doesn't seem to respond to his name...

 

Odd, Hakyeon doesn't remember Hongbin ever having a pet.

 

He let's that strangeness sink in.

 

A little more.

 

A little deeper.

 

When Hongbin wakes up from his nap Jaehwan and Sanghyuk are home. He tries to wipe away his puddle of spit he's poured on their futon, but he was way too tired. Waking up early two days in a row takes a lot out of you. He smells dinner and hears Minki's squeals coming from the kitchen table.

 

He reaches for his phone for the first time and that's when he sees the message from Wonsik. At first he's elated that Wonsik had used his number so quickly. Then, Hongbin realizes, reading the content of the message.

 

Wait.

 

Where is Hakyeon? If Jaehwan and Sanghyuk are home that means Hakyeon is most likely home by now. That means he's probably noticed his dog is missing. He planned on leaving earlier than Hakyeon so he could pick up the pup and leave him as he were in Hakyeon's apartment.

 

Hongbin walks into the kitchen. Jaehwan can barely contain his laughter while Sanghyuk looks less than thrilled.

 

“Good thing Minki can't read.” Sanghyuk says and Jaehwan covers Minki's eyes from Hongbin.

 

It's Hongbin's turn to let the strangeness sink in. Sanghyuk flicks his forehead passing by whille setting the table. Confused, Hongbin runs to the bathroom mirror to check his face. On is forehead in black permanent marker is the one word that lets Hongbin know he is dead meat.

 

“er”

 

~

 

“You currently possess stolen property. I could press charges.” Hakyeon carries on from his initial statement, “I demand my dog back.”

 

He's too busy trying to look into the house to catch a glimpse of Skip to notice the young man standing in front of him.

 

“What kind of business are you running here, anyway? Just accepting pets from anyone on the street? Where's the paperwork, the background checks, the parent interviews?”

 

Hakyeon is a confident man. He's good at practically everything he does. And the things he's not good at, well they probably aren't good things to be good at anyway. Roller coasters, scary movies, ladybugs, all frivolous in the big scheme of things. Hakyeon likes to focus on what he's good at. Dancing, laughing, arguing. Now those, those are all important things.

 

Especially now, he's thankful for his argumentative gift. He was captain of his debate team, going undefeated during his fourth year of high school. That's when he noticed his gift, he thought it a crime to keep it to himself or wait until an unsuspecting peon tried to challenge him.

 

So once the door opens and he knows his target is in sight he launches his verbal attack. He knows all of his points are valid and intimidating. Hell, they might pay him to take his dog back and forget the whole thing happened. There's a brief moment that Hakyeon feels bad for yelling at whoever might be the object of Hongbin's affections, but what's that saying? Guilty by association.

 

Finally, when he gets no response, Hakyeon focuses on the face in front of him. He physically takes a step back. The man in front of him is straight-faced, unphased by Hakyeon's threats, but looks speak volumes to Hakyeon. Tall, dark-haired and handsome. If this guy looks that good now Hakyeon can only imagine how good he'll look smiling.

 

 

Usually Hakyeon's attitude stirs whoever is unfortunate enough to be on the receiving end. Whether it be an angry dance mom, a lazy grocery store employee, or the spiteful coffee shop worker that never adds the extra shot of espresso in when Hakyeon pays for one. If Hakyeon is unhappy he is going to let everyone know about it. And once they know about it, they have trouble saying anything except what Hakyeon wants to hear. Really, they have trouble saying anything at all. He's learned to accept stuttering as a form of apology, but makes them say it properly once the aftershock of being shut down by someone so amazingly skilled at words wears off.

 

“What's your dog's name?”

 

This guy, however. This guy's expression remains neutral, apathetic even. His question comes out just the same. Even, unwavering, bored.

 

“Skip.” Hakyeon answers, not wanting to lose control of the conversation (any control he thinks he has).

 

“We don't have a dog here named Skip.”

 

“You...you yes, yes you do.”

 

“Not here.” The dark haired man shakes his head once.

 

“Yes here.” Hakyeons nods his in return.

 

“No.”

 

“Yes.” Keep it cool, Hakyeon.

 

“No.”

 

“Yes!” Hakyeon stomps his foot for emphasis.

 

The dark haired man keeps his stare on Hakyeon. Never one to back down, Hakyeon holds his stare as well. He's never dealt with someone this difficult before. How on earth is Hakyeon supposed to get his way when his opponent doesn't care what Hakyeon is saying!?

 

“Listen, I don't know who you think you are, but keeping stolen--”

 

Before Hakyeon can finish his sentence the young man opens the door and steps inside, slamming the door in Hakyeon's face.