8.8

Care Taking

“You're late.”

 

Hongbin opens the door before Hakyeon can knock.

 

“Your directions weren't exactly helpful. I got lost.” Hakyeon shrugs. Okay, so he's not the greatest with directions, he has a navigation for that. He doesn't have to be good.

 

“Just help me with my equipment and let's go.” Hongbin is frustrated. He's frustrated because Hakyeon took forever to get to his apartment. He's frustrated because he's never shot at such a large wedding. He's frustrated because not only does he have the stress of his job, but the stress of his new 'assistant'.

 

“Aren't you going to compliment me on how nice I look?” The older boy poses as he grabs the smallest bag sitting next to the front door. The bag is much lighter than Hakyeon anticipated, causing it's contents to clank together due to his unneeded force.

 

Hongbin cringes as he hears the clinks. “Yah! Be careful with those.” He picks up another bag and adjusts it on his shoulder, “you look great, now can we go?”

 

Hakyeon stands in front of the mirror hanging in Hongbin's living area. He's fixing that one hair that always seems to be out of place. “I never get to look nice at my job, I was worried I wouldn't fit this suit, but would you look at that, fits like a glove.”

 

“We aren't guests, Hakyeon, we're working.” Hongbin is pushing Hakyeon out the door. Literally pushing.

 

You're working. I'm going to simply look pretty. Any maybe show off some new moves.”

 

Hongbin decides to let Hakyeon take this one. He's half right about his role tonight. Hongbin knows Hakyeon is a er for weddings and dressing up. And by the time he finally got the last of the permanent marker washed off his face he knew an apology that he could even benefit from in the end. Apologize endlessly, invite Hakyeon to the wedding, let him enjoy looking pretty, and get a helper for the biggest wedding he's ever worked at. At the time Hongbin thought it was a win-win.

 

He kept thinking it was it was a win-win until his body reminded him it wasn't. He showered and dressed just like before any shoot. Then, he started thinking about how long it's been since he's shot a wedding, how professional he has to be at weddings, how depressed weddings make him feel. He felt a small twitch in his wrist. Then when he remembered Hakyeon would be joining him on the wedding job that could quite possible shape his photography career he couldn't keep his hands still long enough to tie his tie straight.

 

“I met the babysitter.” Hakyeon brings up in the car. His navigation system basically doing the driving for him.

 

“You... you met Wonsik?” Hongbin spent the last 24 hours trying to forget about Wonsik. Once he woke up at Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's apartment with Hakeyon's branding on his forehead he knew any hope of Wonsik washed down the drain along with the permanent marker he scrubbed off his face.

 

He can only imagine. Wonsik, a little curious about the cute dimpled visitor dropping off Minki even more intrigued that said visitor just so happens to own a cute little puppy. He thinks Hongbin's shaky hands are a cute sign of nervousness, and the stumbling over his words allows Wonsik to imagine what if he is the cause of that nervousness? Perhaps? Could this pretty faced visitor think Wonsik is just as pretty? The first meeting Wonsik might not think anything of. The second meeting, though, that would cement Wonsik's wishful thinking.

 

Hakyeon just had to ruin it. Sure, Hongbin started the relationship off on the wrong foot; the foot based on lies and deceit, but Hakyeon was the one ruin it. He can only imagine Hakyeon stomping up to that pretty red door and going all high school debate team on his sleepy-eyed crush.

 

“No, I met the other babysitter. Taekwoon.” Hongbin eyes the driver. He says the other babysitter's name a little too dreamily.

 

“That's... nice... so Wonsik was...?”

 

“Who? Oh, I don't know where he was. Out I guess.”

 

“So Wonsik doesn't know about the whole story behind the Skip incident?”

 

“Oh no, I told Taekwoon. I told him everything.”

 

Everything?” Hongbin stresses, knowing what Hakeyon means by everything. No wonder he's so forgiving this time around. Usually when Hongbin does something stupid he holds a grudge for days. Weeks even.

 

Everything.” Hakyeon confirms, smiling at the road. When he sees Hongbin's head connect with the dashboard he comes clean, “don't worry, Bin-ah. I made a fool of myself, too. Sorry to say neither one of us made that great of an impression on either babysitter.”

 

The two pull into the parking lot of chapel for the wedding ceremony. There are a few cars, but much to Hongbin's surprise, they arrive earlier than planned. The few cars most likely belong to the members of the wedding party, waiting for their pictures to be taken.

 

I would have made a great impression, I was making a great impression until you had to ruin it.”

 

Me!? You're the one that stole my dog for your benefit! And before that you wanted to use Minki, baby Minki, just for your benefit. I was just the serving of karma that life wanted to shove in your face.”

 

Well, whatever. I figured any idea of Wonsik was out the window anyway.”

 

The two gather Hongbin's camera gear, Hakyeon being a little more gentle this time, and pull it together like the two professionals they are. Not business professionals like Jaehwan and Sanghyuk, but professionals at their craft. Hongbin prepares to turn on his charm, complimenting the bridesmaids as if they're actually the bride while he makes sure the focus is still on the bride herself. He has to make sure the location is right; the lighting, wind, temperature. No one likes a sweaty bride.

 

Hakyeon prepares to look good. Not better than the entire bridal party, but maybe just the bridesmaids and groomsmen. Oh, and the groom. He's excited for the reception. For when the party really begins. Then, Hongbin will be glad he brought Hakyeon along. He's a performer, but what's more, he's a teacher. He teachers others how to perform. He already has a new routine picked out that will go great with almost any classic wedding song. A quick 1-2 step with simple hand motions? Perfect.

 

Hongbin and Hakyeon walk into the main chapel entrance. There are a few bridesmaids running around with what Hongbin assumes are family members, making last minute touches to the chapel decor. He loves that there's no need to explain his role. Drape his camera around his neck and before too long Hongbin hears his official introduction. “The Photographer's here!”

 

But instead, he hears his name being called. From a low, sleepy voice.

 

Hongbin?”

 

Hongbin turns to see Wonsik dressed in a fitted tux. His vest, Hongbin notices, matches the blue flowers littering the walk-way and vases at the end of the aisles. His hair is pushed away from his face and is now a rich brown color.

 

Wonsik.” Hongbin would have dropped his camera if it weren't for the strap securing it around his neck.

 

What are you doing here?” Wonsik's small smile is forming on his face.

 

I'm uh, I uh,” Hongbin points to his camera when his words fail him.

 

He's the photographer.” Hakyeon says, eyeing Wonsik suspiciously.

 

Ah, I should've known.” Wonsik laughs, almost to himself. “You must be Hakyeon.” Wonsik returns the suspicious eyes Hakyeon is giving him.

 

Yes, that's right. Skip's rightful owner.” Hakyeon begins.

 

Now is not the time, hyung.” Hongbin pleads with his assistant.

 

Wonsik laughs at the pair, “Yeah, I heard you weren't happy with our service. But since you got your parent interview I hope Skip will be back. Hopefully this time he'll answer when we call for him, now that we have the right name and all.” He winks at Hongbin, as if they're sharing an inside joke.

 

Parent interview, really?” Hongbin faces the now red-faced Hakyeon.

 

Yah! I did not get a parent interview and I never received an apology for taking my dog, Mr. Wonsik.” Hakyeon thought he was over it, he really did. But seeing Hongbin melt by just looking at the, Hakyeon will admit, handsome young man, sparks some maternal instinct in him. How is he to know this Wonsik fellah is such a great guy?

 

I interviewed you.” Hakyeon turns to see Taekwoon walk up to the trio, dressed just as nice as Wonsik. His vest a slightly paler shade of blue to match some of the satin draperies in the chapel. Taekwoon doesn't smile, but Hakyeon hopes he's at least a little pleased to see him again. Before he can tell his face to play it cool his eyes travel the tall man's body. Hongbin reaches over to close his now gaping mouth.

 

There he goes again. Losing any lead he had on the conversation thanks to that soft voice and those dark eyes.

 

Yes well, then I'll only drop off Skip if you're the one watching him.” Taekwoon smiles and Hakyeon knows he's in danger of drooling on his nice clothes. He adjusts the camera bag as if he's done this a million times, “Hongbin, we have to go set up.”

 

Hakyeon drags Hongbin away, the latter waving at the nicely dressed boys.

 

Hongbin pulls the two flash attachments he thinks he'll need for outside shots. He places one on his camera and hands Hakyeon the other. He hands Hakyeon a few other attachments he might need and waits for the older to calm down from the interaction.

 

Just when Hakyeon's cheeks return to their normal shade, Hongbin decides to take his revenge.

 

He's cute.”

 

Hakyeon snorts, feigning ignorance, “who, Taekwoon?” Another snort. “I guess...”

 

The two don't have much time to collect themselves. The wedding party, Taekwoon and Wonsik included, are being ushered out to the first setting Hongbin chose for pictures. He tries his best to stay focused on the bride and groom, the stars of the show. He can't help finding the eyes of Wonsik, though. Sometimes Wonsik is too busy talking with other members of the wedding party to notice him. Other times, he's staring right back.

 

Hakyeon, on the other hand, has little to do to keep his mind off of a certain dark-haired groomsmen. He doesn't mean to blatantly stare at the man, but when he's placed in front of the camera Hakyeon uses the excuse that everyone is staring at him, so he can too, right? And when he's not in front of the camera Hakyeon's thankful that Taekwoon's too focused on watching whoever is in front of the camera to notice Hakyeon staring.

 

By the end of the night Hongbin's cameras are put away, bags packed way before the reception is over. Both him and Hakyeon are invited to stay for the reception, which neither boy refuses. Only the wedding party remains and the two know they've overstayed their welcome. What's keeping them, you ask?

 

Wonsik and his hand in Hongbin's hair. Combing through it every so often. They've both had a little too much to drink, but it doesn't matter, neither are driving. Hongbin's head is in Wonsik's lap. He keeps reaching up to touch Wonsik's hair, commenting on how his hair could be the same color as his vest and Hongbin would still love it.

 

And Taekwoon, drumming his fingers lightly on the back of Hakyeon's neck. Every so many beats Taekwoon's hand will rest on Hakeyon's neck, giving it a gentle squeeze. Neither boy has had much to drink, but their eyes still hold a certain glaze to them. He's talking about his first pet when he was a kid. He tells Hakyeon that he'd like to see Skip again and Hakyeon confesses he'd like to see Taekwoon again. He thinks Taekwoon's deep blush goes well with his pale vest.

 

When the wedding party begins to leave the four boys stand at Hakyeon's car. Numbers are exchanged and plans made. Plans for tomorrow, and hopefully the next day, and the day after that...

 

Hakyeon smiles at Taekwoon opening the door, allowing Hakyeon to get situated and buckled in before closing it shut. Taekwoon levels his head with the window and pokes Hakyeon's cheek. Although he wishes it were a peck on the cheek, Hakyeon takes the poke as just the same.

 

Wonsik helps Hongbin into the passenger's side. He buckles Hongbin in and knocks foreheads with him like Minki had done the day they first met, maybe a little softer this time.

 

Wonsik steps back and closes the door. He bids his farewell, his deep voice echoing in Hongbin's ears all the way to his dreams.

 

Take care.”

 

 

 

 

 

AN: Thanks, guys, for reading this silly little story. I have another story I want to start, but I have so many already started I need to finish... I appreciate all of the subscriptions and comments.