1.1

Care Taking

“Hyung, thank you so much for doing this for us.”

 

Hongbin hears the relief in Sanghyuk's voice as he's ushered into the apartment. Normally on a day he doesn't have work Hongbin likes to sleep in, but he received a panicked call from Jaehwan this morning and here he is... Awake earlier than usual...

 

“No problem, although I'm not sure what I'm doing, here...” Hongbin looks around the apartment Jaehwan and Sanghyuk share. It had been a while since he had visited and honestly, he can't remember a single thing familiar about it.

 

He feels bad about this. But he has his reasons. Hongbin himself just recently moved into a new apartment building a little father than he was to them before. Work has picked up (Summer is wedding season, after all). Also, there's a small change in Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's lifestyle that sets the boys miles apart from Hongbin.

 

“Binnie! Thank you so much for coming!” Jaehwan walks into their common area, tie loosely hung around his neck. In his arms is the 'small change' mentioned above. He has one sock and and the other in his front shirt pocket.

 

“All you need to do is walk Minki to the sitter after you feed him breakfast.” Sanghyuk explains, stuffing his reports into the diaper bag and diapers into his briefcase.

 

“Pick out a jar and pour out a cup of puffs and he'll love you forever.” Jaehwan says, shoving the small boy in Hongbin's arms.

 

Hongbin's family has not had the pleasure of a new generation just yet. His sisters are all working on their careers and not even on the dating scene. Hongbin, well, enough said. The little boy reaches for Jaehwan again who immediately plops down and works on his bare foot. He doesn't even bother straightening the sock on his foot before he jams it into his shoe.

 

“Hyung, I'm not sure I can do this. It's been forever since I've seen the little guy and I've definitely never been alone with him.” The little boy is starting to fuss in Hongbin's arms.

 

Before the little boy can throw a fit Sanghyuk takes him in his arms, “and who's fault is that, Mr. Lee?” The little boy squeals in delight as Sanghyuk pokes his belly.

 

Ah, his dongsaeng has a point. Hongbin mutters an apology, stifling a yawn.

 

Jaehwan stands and switches Sanghyuk's reports from the diaper bag to his briefcase. Hongbin watches as Jaehwan seems to think about switching the diapers out too, but decides to leave them in the briefcase. He pulls new diapers for the diaper bag, -eating grin never leaving his face.

 

Hongbin is not one for cuteness, but he can barely contain a squeal himself at the sight of Jaehwan handing Sanghyuk his briefcase, his own briefcase in his other hand. He watches as the older boy give “monster” kisses over the little boy in Sanghyuk's arms.

 

“We're going to be late.” Sanghyuk taps Jaehwans watch. Jaehwan nods and walks to the kitchen and pulls a jar of mashed sweet potato.

 

“Here. I've already done the hard part for you. Picking out what to feed him. Here's the directions to the sitter and their phone number just in case you get lost. They don't take customers until 7:30am, so you have about an hour to feed and dress Mr. Minki here, okay?”

 

Hongbin nods, accepting the little boy from Sanghyuk's arms. Once again the little boy starts to fuss, but Hongbin quickly begins making faces at the little boy. Thankfully, the faces earn a squeal and Hongbin siltenly thanks the baby-gods that they've gone easy on him.

 

“Thanks again, Binnie! We'll see you soon, yes? How about come over for dinner soon?” Jaehwan tightens his tie and pushes Sanghyuk out the door.

 

Both men stop and kiss the boy in Hongbin's arms before walking out the door, already talking about their meetings for the day. Hongbin sighs. It must be hard living in the corporate world, he thinks.

 

When Hongbin answered the call this morning Jaehwan was completely prepared for any question Hongbin might have at his request. He can see it now on paper. Literally, a piece of paper on the coffee table. Outlined by Sanghyuk no doubt:

 

Reasons why Hongbin is needed this morning:

  1. Both Jaehwan and Sanghyuk have morning meetings, making it impossible for either boy to wait for the sitter to open.

  2. Hakyeon, the normal stand in babysitter (who usually just watches Minki all day like a good uncle, just putting that out there) also has a morning meeting of his own.

  3. Hongbin has never spent time with Minki except when he was a few months old, and at that, he refused to hold the newborn.

What Hongbin needs to know about the task at hand:

  1. The walk to the sitter's is a short three blocks.

  2. Feeding Minki breakfast is easy and not as intimidating as it seems. He's always hungry and will eat just about anything.

  3. Once Minki is dropped off, Hongbin's services are no longer needed.

Payment options:

  1. Minki kisses

  2. Jaehwan kisses

  3. Free dinner prepared by Sanghyuk

 

Once the door is closed Hongbin is hit with the realization that he is now in his friends' apartment by himself with their child. Their infant child.

 

He's about to freak out.

 

Minki beats him to it. He feels the little boy squirm in his arms and start to breath a little heavier, preparing to wail.

 

“Shhh, it's okay Minki, they'll be back.” Hongbin rocks the baby slowly, unsure if he's doing more harm than good. The little boy sniffles, but the heavy breathing has stopped.

 

“You want to grab a bite to eat with me? Tell me about your night? Anything crazy happen?” Hongbin talks to Minki as if he's a colleague or close friend. The little boy stares at Hongbin, poking at one of the dimples on Hongbin's face as he flashes a smile.

 

Hongbin puffs out the dimple Minki poked, causing the remaining dimple to indent deeper into his cheek. Minki squeals again in delight and claps his hands.

 

“Sounds good. I'd tell you about my night, but I don't think your fathers would like that.” Minki squeals again in agreement and Hongbin feels his confidence growing.

 

And just like that, his confidence deflates. Point 2 of the task at hand is proving itself to be untrue. Instead of Minki happily taking each spoonful of his baby food, each bite is a struggle.

 

The first bite side-swipes the little mouth.

The second bite makes it into a mouth, but not the right one.

The third bite is nowhere near the little mouth.

The cycle repeats.

 

Hongbin thinks out of the 6oz. Jar of baby food Minki probably got less than an ounce. He did eat all of the puffs Hongbin set on his high chair, which Hongbin claimed as a victory.

 

After a quick cleaning of hands and mouths (on both parties) Hongbin grabs the diaper bag and is out the door. There were no mentions of cleaning the kitchen after the Minki-Hongbin war, so Hongbin leaves the ruins to Jaehwan and Sanghyuk.

 

The whole walk Hongbin talks to Minki. He tells him about the next wedding coming up he has to photograph for and even his new camera lens he's going to try. Hongbin stops to listen to Minki's coos and garbles noises, imagining Minki is sharing what he plans to do with the rest of his day.

 

Once the house comes into view Minki starts to clap his hands. Although his first play date with Minki was somewhat scary at first, Hongbin has to admit, the baby boy is a lot more well-behaved than he expected. He remembers stories of himself as a baby: terrorizing his older sisters even at a young age, smearing food anywhere it shouldn't go (like your sister's ears), and excreting liquids of any type only when his diaper was off.

 

“Your babysitters must love you.” Hongbin and Minki exchange looks. Minki touches Hongbin's cheeks where dimples should be, “you're a cute little guy. You get that from your daddy Jaehwanny, huh?”

 

Hongbin swears the baby bats his eyelashes like he's seen Jaehwan do multiple times. Just as Hongbin walks up to the babysitter's house he thinks he'll give those little chubby cheeks of Minki's a little nuzzle. As soon as he dips his head to rub his nose on the little boy he feels a yanking on both of his ears. As if someone is trying to rip his ears off his head.

 

“Ow, and this must be what you get from Hyukkie.” He hears a laugh that matches Sanghyuk's so close it gives Hongbin chills.

 

Hongbin tries to back out of the little boy's reach as he rings the door bell.

 

Minki smiles and reaches out to Hongbin a second time. As soon as the little boy starts to sniffle Hongbin leans into the little boy's arms, trying to avoid a situation right before dropping the little guy off.

 

Minki gently wraps his arms around Hongbin's neck and gives Hongbin a small squeeze.

 

“Aw, you like your uncle Hongbin, Minki?”

 

Minki giggles and yanks the hair at the nape of Hongbin's neck so hard he's convinced he now has a bald spot.

 

“Ouch, you little shi--”

 

“Minki! Hey little guy, you ready for some fun?”

 

Hongbin is embarrassed that he basically just cussed out a little boy in front of his babysitter. His head is dipped low, trying to pry the little hands off of his hair. He feels the baby's weight leave his arms along with the grip on his hair.

 

“Thank you so much, I'm sorry, he was fine until I started giving him love, then he started messing with me... definitely like his father.”

 

“Sanghyuk? Don't I know it. He's a little isn't he? Sanghyuk I mean.”

 

The voice is deep and smooth. When Hongbin looks up he's not prepared for what he sees.

 

He's met with a guy his age, blonde hair pushed back from his forehead. His eyes are a little droopy; giving his face a constant tired look to it, but then he watches as the eyes turn into little crescents as Minki claps and squeals.

 

“I—yeah.”

 

He's speechless.

 

“Thank you for dropping him off, I take it he's already had breakfast?” Babysitter turns his attentions towards Hongbin. His mouth is small, his smile smaller, but Hongbin thinks it suits him.

 

Hongbin nods, thankful Minki won't stop squealing and clapping.

 

Suddenly he hears a loud barking from inside the house.

 

“We also watch pets.” The babysitter explains, extending a hand out for the diaper bag around Hongbin's shoulder.

 

Hongbin nods again.

 

Shouldn't Hongbin have seen him around somewhere? At a bar? At university when he took classes? Even at Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's parties? Of course, it's been a while since Hongbin has really come around, but he has his reasons! He can list them again if you don't believe him!

 

Hongbin would have remembered those eyes. He doesn't think he can forget them, now.

 

“Well, thanks again. I have both Jaehwan and Sanghyuk's numbers just in case...”

 

Hongbin nods again. Minki is the one to break Hongbin from his nod. The little boy reaches for another neck hug. Hongbin, thinking he has one last chance to make a good impression smiles and leans into the little boy.

 

The babysitter leans in slightly to help Minki engulf Hongbin's neck in a loving hug.

 

Instead the little boy smashes his body to Hongbin's face, going for the nape of his neck again.

 

Neither adult is prepared for the motion and the two end up knocking heads, which is enough to make Minki laugh and clap again. Thankfully he lets go of Hongbin's hair and leans back onto the babysitter.

 

“Let's go you little brat. I'm telling your daddies on you.” The babysitter laughs as he nuzzles Minki with his nose like Hongbin had tried to do minutes earlier. “Sorry about that, he's just showing off, now.”

 

Hongbin nods.

 

The babysitter nods and backs back into the house. He gives Hongbin a small smile again and is about to close the door, taking the queue from Hongbin that this conversation must be over.

 

What are words? Hongbin forgets. How are they formed? What is the appropriate thing to say?

 

“My name is Hongbin.”

 

Smooth Hongbin.

 

The babysitter stops closing the door and his smile falters. He seems to be holding back a laugh.

 

“Wonsik. Thanks again, Hongbin.”

 

AN: 1. Minki is adopted (no Mpreg or whatever it's called.)

  1. There is no real point to this story. Just another stupid thought I had.

  2. Thanks for reading! Everyone will make an appearance eventually.