Chapter Four

Hold Me Tight

The next morning, Taehyung got up and took a shower. It was still early, he doubted anyone was awake. He turned towards the mirror and immediately regretted it. He pulled a hand through his hair and sighed. Yesterday was still on his mind, the fact that he had probably no more than a year to live because of cancer. Tears mixed with the warm water of the shower as he turned away from the mirror. Eventually, he shut off the water and dried himself, before getting dressed in a simple sweatpants and hoodie.

He headed to the kitchen where he made some noodles for himself and quietly ate, staring out the window as the sun rose in the sky. Today, he’d make a little video to announce that he was dying, that there was a big certainty he was going to die. For his fans, for the fans of Bangtan. He was nervous, scared and upset. Tae had never imagined he would have ever to do this, but now, here he was, having no choice. A tear rolled down his cheek, he closed his eyes as he ate the last of the noodles.

He wasn’t sure what to wear in the video. Something fancy, or perhaps just his comfort clothing in which he felt good and easy. Bringing such news wasn’t easy, he tried to mentally prepare himself for it. But there was no way he could. He just kept staring out the window as he tried to think of what to say. Taehyung sighed and bit his lip.

At once, a pair of arms wrapped around him. He frowned as the person just gently leaned on him, quietly looking out the window as well. How strange, he’d never experienced something like this. And then he remembered Hoseok and what he said yesterday.

“Hoseok?”

“Yes?”

Confirmed. It was Hoseok who had so gently wrapped arms around the orange-haired boy and was leaning on him now. Tae smiled, quietly enjoying the moment. As if they were a couple they stayed in that position for a while, each quiet because each had no idea what to say. It didn’t matter, the moment was perfect as it was. The silence comforting. He didn’t want any comforting words, because nothing could comfort him. He’d rather spent moments like these, quietly enjoying whatever time he had left on Earth. Eventually, the rapper moved, got a chair and sat beside the singer. He wrapped his hand around Tae’s hand, not looking at the boy and not saying a word.

Eventually, Jin came into the kitchen, but didn’t talk. He just started making breakfast for the rest who, one by one, came downstairs. All quiet, not saying a word. Every member, except one, came to the kitchen to eat breakfast. Hoseok and Taehyung turned around, joining the rest of the members. Tae noticed Jimin was missing and he wondered why.

“I’ll be right back,” said the orange-haired male. He left the kitchen to search for Jimin, who he eventually found seated on his own bed, staring at the wall in front of him. He swallowed and sat down beside Jimin, not sure what to say.

“You heard the news?”

The black haired man nodded, still staring at the wall quietly.

“I’m sorry…”

For a moment, Jimin was confused as to why Taehyung would apologise. It was not his fault, there was nothing any of them could do.

“It’s okay… It’s not your fault…” Jimin turned to Taehyung, smiling faintly. He tried his best to smile, he didn’t want to upset his fellow 95-liner. Tae nodded and they headed to the kitchen for Jin’s breakfast, which consisted of noodles.

After breakfast, everyone got ready to go to the studio of BigHit where they’d announce the sad news to their fans. Taehyung wasn’t ready, but he didn’t want to leave the members waiting even longer. They deserved to know what was going on after all their support. He sighed as he was in his room, watching the clock tick by the minutes until he’d go.

A knock on the door.

“Come in.”

It was Hoseok, who closed the door behind him and approached the standing Taehyung. There was something in his eyes that made him nervous as the rapper grabbed hold of his hands and forced the younger male against the wall, holding hands above his head.

“H- Hoseok?” Tae’s voice sounded, soft with an edge of uncertainty. Hoseok looked at him, staring into the boy’s eyes, then leaning down with closed eyes and kissing his lips.

Taehyung grew red, blushing and not sure what to do. Hoseok pulled back, stepped back, swallowed and turned around, ready to leave until his hand was grabbed.

“Wait… Don’t go, please.”

He was surprised that Tae didn’t want him to leave, but glad about it as he twisted back around and looked at the boy. Tae just smiled, didn’t speak and sat down on the bed. Hoseok followed his example, sitting down beside him and cosily wrapping an arm around the shoulders of the younger man.

Taehyung was confused about Hoseok’s behaviour, but he didn’t want to talk about it as he mentally prepared himself and thought of what to say. Which almost caused him to burst into tears and sobs. This was going to be hard, but he had to be strong for his fans. They deserved to know what was going on and he was going to tell them. He felt like he had to. As if it was his responsibility. It weighed heavy on him.

“Okay! The car is ready!” Jin’s voice echoed through the dorm. Hoseok got up, waiting for Taehyung, and together they left Tae’s room and went to the car. They got in, everyone buckled up and they were driven to the studio of BigHit.

They arrived. All of them got out the car and into the studio where they readied themselves in front of the camera. Taehyung looked down at the ground, nervously fidgeting with his shirt.

“Are you ready?”

Taehyung looked up and nodded. The camera rolled, BTS did their usual greeting with Namjoon leading it.

“Dear fans, there is something important we have to tell you. We’ve been silent for well over a year, with no news of us and only speculations. We’ll now update you.” Namjoon nodded towards Taehyung, who cleared his throat, sighed and looked into the camera.

“Dear fans… I am so sorry for having been so quiet the past year, together with the other members of BTS. However, you must know, we are facing a difficult time. As of right now, I’m suffering from cancer and… And…”

Tears started streaming down his face, he couldn’t end his sentence. Hoseok hugged him. “And right now, we are uncertain of V’s future. However, we are trying our very best to get him the best care and make sure he lives. Please stay loyal, we’ll update soon with more news.” Hoseok finished. The camera stopped as Taehyung gave in to Hoseok and sobbed against his chest. He hadn’t even be able to finish the sentence, he felt so disappointed. He felt like he had disappointed all of his fans, he hadn’t wanted to. He had just been unable to say the last part.

Hoseok continued hugging the younger male, the rest scattering around the studio except for Jimin who was just standing beside them quietly, looking down at the ground. He found it so difficult to deal with everything that was happening.

They returned back home and ate lunch in silence, no one able to say a word. Neither of them wanted to check social media to see if any fans had responded, although Taehyung was thinking of perhaps checking facebook to see if there were any support messages. He hoped so, he really needed his fan’s support right now.

Evening fell, he didn’t eat. He went to bed early and fell asleep.