Ch4 ~Nighttime Conversations and Shattered Glass~

Whispers of Retribution
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 4 ~Nighttime Conversations and Shattered Glass~

Zelo stared into the darkness of his cabin. It had been two hours since he attempted to sleep, but nothing he did helped him drift into the silence of the night world. At first he thought the soft breathing sounds of his cabin mate Yongguk would help, but even that kept his mind more alive than he wanted. Especially since, just the thought of Yongguk reminded him of how Yongguk’s lips felt on him, and that made him even more uncomfortable.

Zelo would have thought that Luhan would be the one with sleeping troubles; but Luhan was not even on the camp grounds. For a moment Zelo considered that it was because Luhan was not sleeping near him that he was having this issue. He wanted to brush the idea aside as childish, but decided to cling to that instead. Nighttime wasn’t scary if you thought about it. Just dark.

Sitting up in bed, Zelo grabbed his blanket and silently tiptoed to Yongguk’s bed staring at the other momentarily while hesitating. Yongguk seemed fairly opened to intimate skinship, and as Zelo remembered how Yongguk’s lips felt on his skin for the second time that night, he squashed out his fear, crawling into the DJ’s bed, nuzzling closer every few seconds so as not to wake the sleeping boy.

It was for naught, because the moment Zelo brought his head against the other’s chest and sighed in relief, Yongguk’s arm came up and around him, pulling Zelo closer.

“Now that you’re comfy, maybe you can sleep without twisting and turning all night, hmmm?”

"All night, ha..." Zelo twisted a bit so his head lay on Yongguk's arm, but his back was against the bed. It was his focus pose.  "I'm just worried about my twin, I guess..." he murmured softly, just in case his companion had fallen asleep.

"I know the feeling. I have a few dongsaeng's back home."

"The last thing my dad told me was to take care of Luhan. And he said it with death in his voice and I only realised it now because Luhan isn't here and it's not easy."

Yongguk Zelo's hair in a lulling and comforting way. The other sighed into it, his eyes slowly fighting to stay open so he could emphasise how he just was not supposed to sleep today because Luhan was with Oh Sehun. And Oh Sehun was too strange for his own good. But Zelo’s eyes slowly shut, and he forgot what he wanted to say. Yongguk would never admit that when the boys eyes closed, he pecked the rosy lips in front of him.

~~~~~~

Baekhyun glanced at Chanyeol who was staring against the wall looking at a painting.  Chanyeol had not moved even once since he had sat down, almost as if he was in a trance. Baekhyun though was slowly losing his mind.  He didn't share a room with Chanyeol back in camp and wasting time by being in trances was Baekhyun's last way of having fun.

"Chanyeol!"

"Mmmm..." Chanyeol mumbled, his head tilting to the side as he stared more intently.

"Chan-"

"Don't you think tonight was weird?" Chanyeol interrupted,  his voice stopping Baekhyun in his tracks, his eyes slowly training on Baekhyun seriously.  

"Weird?" Baekhyun asked, getting up to sit next to Chanyeol instead. "How so?"

"All of it. Why Xiumin came along.  Why Sehun was so possessive and upset the whole time. How Kai was trying to provoke Sehun into snapping and how Tao was trying to keep the peace."

Baekhyun stared in shock. Chanyeol had observed all that? He could imagine everyone noticed how upset Sehun was, because Sehun certainly hadn't been hiding it. But the rest, not so much. Unlike the others, when Chen had asked about Sehun murdering anyone,  he had glanced to Sehun instead. The poor boy had looked sick, as if that was the last thing he had wanted to be said. As if hearing such a question made him seem like the worst person for his attitude.  

"I think Sehun has a deep past." Baekhyun murmured slowly, his eyes blinking as he remembered more and more things of what Sehun had done since they met.

"I think it's more dark than deep, honestly," Chanyeol countered slowly, his gaze returning to the photo on the wall. "He seems to be harbouring deep guilt and the serious need for friendship or affection. Maybe both?" He paused a moment pulling Baekhyun into his lap, rubbing Baekhyun's arm as he pondered. "It must be that's why he acts out so much. He's probably afraid anything he says will lose him a chance to have friends.  Or affection and love. Or perhaps both, again. His eyes kept screaming, 'No!' and 'Mine!' all night whenever Xiumin or anyone did things with Luhan. It's almost as if he pegged Luhan to be the one he wanted for all this stuff.

"But you said Kai provoked Sehun. How do you know?" Baekhyun settled more comfortably onto Chanyeol,  rubbing his eyes. Chanyeol lifted Baekhyun up instead, and brought them into the bed.

"Kai waited until Sehun returned to take his turn, and he glanced at Sehun after telling Xiumin and Luhan to kiss. If he was interested in seeing the kiss he initiated for them, he would have looked at the two, but instead, he turned towards Sehun hoping to rile a reaction from him.

"Which he got. Sehun broke his soju glass." Baekhyun nodded slowly understanding.

"And then Kai was helping Sehun right after he was at fault for Sehun getting hurt. He bandaged his hand, remember?"

Baekhyun shut his eyes trying to picture the scene again. He had been more interested to see the kiss, but he remembered the blood on Sehun’s hand and shuddered in Chanyeol's arms.

"Exactly..." Chanyeol murmured, pulling Baekhyun nearer and covering them. "I think Kai likes Sehun."

But soft breathing returned as a response,  making Chanyeol chuckle and peck the other's cheek gently as he too went to sleep.

~~~~~~

Xiumin and Chen had waited until the others had returned to their rooms after the game before heading back out. Chen's head hurt from the extra soju,  and though the younger boy had not complained,  Xiumin knew he needed some kind of meds to prevent a terrible hangover.  Or maybe a walk and then bed would help them.

"Why did you take a dare anyway?"

"Not that I'm really hiding anything,  but I was suddenly afraid of some kind of attack like I had thought of for Sehun. Not that it was planned initially,  but every time I looked at Sehun he was scowling. I didn't even realise what I was asking when I did. It was only after I asked and heard what I said outloud... But his glare at Luhan scared me. I had seen that look when my friend's father hit him. And I just... it made me so upset! My friend had bruises all his childhood. When I was younger I didn't know I had to tell someone..." Chen drifted off after his voice cracked. He had looked away so he could wipe his tears.

Xiumin nodded his head in understanding, even though Chen did not see. Instead he reached out for Chen's hand, holding it comfortingly.

"I sure hope the atmosphere is better tomorrow. But I guess we'll see at breakfast,  right? After a good night's rest, shouldn't everyone have calmed down?" Xiumin wondered out loud and for Chen's benefit.

Chen nodded along anyway, rubbing his temples in attempt to clear his head once his tears stopped. That had only made his headache worse. He needed to remember that crying when he had a headache was a terrible idea.

"Next time try to drink less ye?"

Chen groaned in response.

The little mart was vacant despite a very tired looking boy who probably took the graveyard shift because he seriously needed the money. Xiumin pitied him just a little bit but his concern was momentarily on Chen who was swaying.  

Xiumin was at his side immediately,  holding him up.

"You okay?" He asked, ripping open the package he found on the shelf, grabbing a drink from the fridge.

"You're gonna have to pay for that," the kid called out, suddenly alert, rubbing his eyes.

Xiumin nodded, holding Chen's back as he swallowed the pills and drank, sighing in relief

"Damn my head hurts. I am so not drinking again."

They approached the counter slowly, Xiumin helping Chen the whole time. The boy looked sleepy again but was observing them closely,  his eyes squinting.

"10,500 won." He muttered, looking away again. Xiumin heard the boys stomach growl, and took pity on him again.  

"What's your name, kid?" Xiumin asked, searching through his wallet for cash.

"Jang Hanbyul." The boy bowed towards Xiumin and Chen then turned to the cash register.

Xiumin handed him 15,000 won.

"Buy yourself something to eat."

Chen smiled at the boy as him and Xiumin left the store, Hanbyul was gaping after them, a stunned look on his face. He took the extra money, gripping it tightly. But once they turned the corner, the boy disappeared from sight.

"I think he was a bit too old to be a kid." Chen said as an afterthought.  Xiumin didn’t answer, but Chen didn't seem to need one.

They entered the hotel, and by then Chen's headache had slowly dispersed.  

"Thanks, Xiumin..." Chen smiled, as they entered the elevator.  He gave Xiumin a hug,  happy that he followed his instincts to find a good friend.

When they got into their hotel room, the boys felt much more comfortable with each other and didn't mind cuddling together as the lights went off, and the night went on.

~~~~~~

Tao and Kai had not spoken much during their time together after the game. Tao had attempted to read a book but failed. Kai had gone to sleep after Tao had remained impenetrable and silent in his own thoughts.  Tao was sure Kai had been texting D.O. until he fell asleep, but did not interrupt him to double check. He could not stop thinking about Luhan.  Sehun was an entirely different story. He grimaced when he remembered the phone call. He had lied to the others about what it had been about, but with Sehun looking so grumpy and upset he certainly wouldn't come up with another reason to anger the boy further.

Tao clenched his fist, wishing he had his sword, wishing he could practice his Kung Fu. But now that he got that phone call, he couldn't.  He had to be in the shadows, and keep an eye on everything he could. But the fact that he hardly had that opportunity, he was worried.

He was sure he could find an empty room in the camp for himself, but until he knew for sure, he wouldn't relax. Slipping out of his chair, Tao stretched his limbs, tiptoeing stealthily to the door and slipping out. Kai was not snoring,  but the soft rise and fall gave an almost positive indication that he was not pretending to sleep.

The corridor was vacant, a sharp breeze passing by from a window left open somewhere.  Tao ignored the cold that infiltrated to his bones and melted himself against Luhan and Sehun's door trying to listen in to any conversation, or even lack thereof. There was no sound at all except soft mewls that he was positive not Sehun’s.  

Suddenly extremely curious, Tao practically ran back to his room, where Kai was thankfully still asleep. The porch door opened easily, and for Tao's pounding heart, silently as well. Silence seemed most important to Tao.

He hopped the banister three rooms down, not worrying that he was a few floors up. The curtains were mostly closed, but the thick drapes were parted about an inch apart, and as Tao lay against the floor, he could see inside. He could see Sehun and Luhan and he was able to see that Sehun’s eyes were possessive again.

With a resigned sigh, Tao prepared himself to stay there awhile.  But as Luhan’s mewls continued,  Tao found himself drifting against the banister, his eyes drooping.

~~~~~~

It was already late into the night,  Sehun figured, if his burning eyes were any indication.  His arm felt like it was burning too, but he refused to move his arm from where Luhan nuzzled on it. Sehun could not really understand why Luhan had obliged his request earlier. But he had joined him in bed without much fight in him.

~a few hours earlier~

It had taken quite awhile for Luhan to move, but seeing as Luhan didn't try to get away, Sehun calmed his grip a little and turned Luhan around to look at him. Sehun Luhan’s cheek, as if he was in a daze from Luhan’s beauty.

"Sehun!" Luhan whined, starting to squirm. "Let's go to sleep, yeah?" He detached himself from Sehun’s arms and got into the ginormous bed, feeling as if every eye in the world was on him with how hard Sehun was staring at him.

"Stop staring so much!" Luhan grumbled, rubbing at his temples that hurt from being so tense during the game, despite Xiumin holding him.

Sehun was there in a flash, massaging it for him.  Luhan sighed and shut his eyes letting Sehun do as he wished.

"I wanted to know..." Luhan mumbled, staring up at Sehun momentarily,  meeting his cool and collected gaze. Luhan hesitated for a moment then blurted, "why did you need to take my bag?!" He pouted immediately after noticing how childish he actually sounded. But he was right! Sehun obviously did not need to steal a worn school bag if he had been able to afford such an expensive camp.  

Sehun’s eyes flared for a moment,  and then he kissed Luhan straight on the mouth. For a moment all Luhan could do was gape into the kiss as Sehun’s warm lips pressed against his. But once he came to his senses he slapped at Sehun's head, his heart b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter