Ch1 ~the White Haired Boy~

Whispers of Retribution
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1 ~the White Haired Boy is Young~

This has been modified and edited since the last time it was updated. And additional of more than 7000 words has been added. Please enjoy!

It was the last day of classes for nearly all schools in the area. Summer time had finally arrived, and everyone was looking forward to the long awaited three month break that went from June to September. The children all spoke of their plans as the teachers pretended to teach, whilst really listening in to the conversations with unrestrained glee. This would indeed be a vacation for the professors too, and although they all had to prepare for a new year, summertime brought forth a happiness that mellowed and drowned during the school year. Summer usually brought the best out in children, as they usually got summer jobs, or learnt of something new. And even the few students who did neither, summer was the time to indulge in themselves and just relax. Summer homework was meant to be done the day before school started again after all. And the poor unfortunate souls who did not graduate that year, still had the opportunity of summer school that every school offered with widespread arms. There were even special summer school teachers that were especially hired for the occasion, and the Headmaster was sure that those that really needed it were grateful for the choice. The sounds emanating from the classrooms of the school was quite something to be desired. The atmosphere in the classroom made it obvious to any interested onlooker that no classes were actually being taken. At that moment, numerous paper aeroplanes were flying at one another as the professor in that particular classroom tried to hide a scowl albeit a satisfied one. He had been with all the students for a year, and unlike the students themselves, he wouldn’t be able to continue on with them after this year.

To the students and professors both, today was the final day of anything to do with school, and none of the students would quiet down long enough for anyone to get a proper word in. All the students aside from one. Bi Luhan was sat rigidly in his chair, picking at his nails disinterestedly. He was only there because he had no permission to leave early. His twin, Bi Shujin was practically the exact opposite of him. Shujin filled Luhan's silences easily, usually finishing Luhan's sentences automatically when Luhan finally did speak. At that moment, Shujin was in fact entertaining most of the class with one of his most recent antics he had spent a few hours the night before preparing. Truthfully he didn’t care much about holding an audience, but he knew that a last day was also a day where students did not particularly listen to the rules. Since, what office would they really need to be sent to, when, as soon as the bell rang they would be scott free? Thus, Shujin had been performing to anyone who would listen or watch mainly to keep the attention off his silent twin. Silence was often as bullied as a nerd was, because silence wasn’t considered normal. Shujin was not going to allow that to happen. Besides, performing was fun! Since the Professor did nothing to stop him, he took as many advantages as he could, making sure to add things that might even bring mirth to the one that taught them for the past year. Shujin took a breath, sneakily looking in his twins direction to check on him. Thankfully, he seemed fine, though utterly bored. He still had his laptop on his desk, and suddenly Shujin knew how he would spend the few minutes after class was over with his friends. Video games, anyone?

Luhan had drowned out the sound of Shujin making a fool of himself. He wasn’t dumb enough not to know the other’s reasoning, and was eternally blessed to have someone that made themselves a fool just to protect one that they loved. Luhan would have loved to join in on the fun, but speaking just wasn't one of Luhan's better traits. Luhan much preferred to observe and take notes in his mind rather than speak to anyone. He was never quite sure why he felt like this, except that it had begun five years before. He had just stopped speaking. It wasn’t that of someone mute, as he was able to speak exactly as often as he wanted to. Holding his silence was something he made a choice to do. Besides, Luhan always found something else to do that didn’t require speech. He wasn't like his peers, whom all had their eyes glued to their phones majority of the day. Luhan enjoyed nature and blissfully filled silences. When he was alone he practiced Taichi and then attempted to perfect his Qigong as well. They tended to come hand in hand, but Luhan always found himself better at Taichi. He only did so in the morning, and had wanted to do so at night, but tended to pass out way too early for it to be done at the right time. Taichi though, was just one of his many pleasures. He only did Taichi for his health and mental state.

In Luhan's silent world, he was able to find marvel in things that others didn't see. He heard things and saw things that his classmates didn't, merely because they constantly overlooked it. And sometimes Luhan would swear to Shujin that he saw things that were impossible to have seen. Shujin didn't exactly wave him away, but tried to explain to him of the impossible being what it was. Impossible.

Their younger sibling Junhong who at times asked to be called Zelo was a mix and match of the twins. Luhan managed to get along with him because of this, and also because both himself and Junhong were the younger of the eldest. They sometimes involved themselves in pranks that they performed against Shujin who tended to praise them for their cleverness, rather than scold them. Luhan though was careful about pranks. He felt something within his chest whenever a prank was played that he couldn't understand. Like him, Shujin had a similar look but unlike him, Shujin seemed to know where to place the emotions that came with that look.

The sounds in the classroom had reached an all-time high, and feeling claustrophobic, Luhan slipped out of the room, scandalised to see the professor asleep at his desk. Leaving his belongings behind, Luhan fled the tightness amongst the students that had made him feel trapped. Exhaustion overtook him, slowing his steps as his feet automatically took him towards the upper years loo. He didn't need to use the loo, but there was always something he could do in the loo that would make him feel embarrassed in front of his classmates. With a relieved sigh, Luhan relaxed against the empty bathtub. Generally using the bathtub was only for when one got really sick and was required by the infirmary to soak in the hot water with medicinal products. But Luhan knew no one would bother looking for him as everyone had their own agenda that was ‘leave school ASAP’. For a moment Luhan pondered on if he should take an actual bath, as the tub was so big he reckoned it rivalled that of the Hogwarts’ Prefects bathroom. A swim might be the perfect rule breaking activity that Luhan needed in his record. He never broke the rules and it was almost embarrassing. In Luhan's alone time, he read a lot, and had found himself reading many of the fanfics that others had wrote. His favourite were that of Severus adopting Harry, and Harry being sorted into Slytherin. Luhan had wondered more than once where he would have been sorted had Hogwarts existed. As much as he loved his twin, he didn't think they would have been sorted into the same houses. He saw himself in Slytherin, Shujin in Gryffindor and Junhong in Hufflepuff.

Sighing Luhan closed his eyes, foregoing the strong urge to swim. He had left his watch back in homeroom, and for once had no idea what time it was. Five minutes passed, putting an edgy feeling within Luhan's bones. He had to get back. Standing up, Luhan had to crick his muscles to get the feel back into his body. The bell ringing made him jump, and he was glad that no one had seen his moment of weakness.

By the time Luhan went back to the class, it was empty. His things had all remained where they were, a sorry look to them as it was practically the only thing other than him still in the room. The desks were all laughing at him, making Luhan scowl at the ridiculous things he imagined. A note that Luhan had not noticed earlier dropped to the floor. Luhan bent down curiously. Recognising his brother's handwriting from afar, he read it quickly. Shujin planned to play League of Legends with his friends as a goodbye party, and desperately needed the laptop. Ooookay. Luhan thought, shrugging. His brother had weird quirks, though Luhan rather enjoyed the game himself.

Stepping out of the school reminded Luhan of the freedom of summer. Summer was his favourite because he never had to be around so much noise. Not to say that all noise bothered him, but too much of noise irked him to the point that he would beat either himself, or a poor unfortunate soul who stepped in his way.

“Luhan!” a high pitched voice crowed at him, finding himself with an arm full of girl before he quickly stepped to the side, extracting himself from the other's limbs. Luhan didn't bother responding, a scowl barely held back from his expressionless mask that he used just for such situations. Nonetheless, a dark blush fell over his cheeks as the girl pushed her chest against him in a futile attempt at seducing him. How unclassy. Luhan mused, his mind filled with disgust at the blatant display of unrequited lust. How does anyone enjoy such things! It's shameful and way too provocative for a girl her age. Luhan kept walking, hoping he could leave the girl behind, but she followed him half a block before finally giving up. Disgusting.

The sun had beat down on his shoulders, and Luhan, glad for school finally being over, removed part of his shirt to let the breeze pass through the thin cotton button up. The gentle wind on his skin felt amazing. Luhan bit back a moan of pleasure, feeling embarrassed at such sounds.

For a millisecond Luhan froze. He felt the predatory feeling of being followed, immediately putting him on guard. He didn't hurry his footsteps, because Luhan feared of promptly being chased where he would have nowhere to run. Improvising, Luhan stopped by the fountain in the neighbourhood only halfway to his home. He lowered his shirt a bit more, splashing water on his face and the bit of skin on his arms that showed. He drank from the fountain, feeling the presence right near him. Luhan was about to turn around, but before he had a chance, Luhan was shoved right into the fountain. Thankfully it was deep enough that he received no head damage, but his humiliation was enough to spit fire. Soaking wet and dripping, Luhan resurfaced, handing over his worst hateful glower. The other person, a boy with shockingly white hair hair of all things, stood there, a startled look on his face. His arms were quickly crossed and he looked defiant and a little bit scared. Luhan was sure anyone else would have only seen the exteriour of the others emotions that showed nearly nothing, just like he usually held himself. But Luhan was quick to catch the instant emotions, the ones that flashed out a nanosecond before it was quickly covered up with nothingness.

Luhan, hating for anyone to bully or be disgraceful, yanked the teen into the fountain. He wasn't sure if the thunk was the boy's head or just Luhan's imagination. But Luhan felt shocked himself then, as he saw the tell tale signs of red droplets infiltrating the clear fountain water before dispersing amongst the greater volume of water.

What?? Panicking, Luhan stepped back, but before he could go any further, the white haired boy, now as white as his hair, grabbed Luhan's bag that the latter had dropped, taking off at a run almost too quick for Luhan to follow. Luhan followed though, his anger increasing until he noticed that, much like Hansel and Gretel, a trail was left behind the wayward teen. Luhan turned green at the fact that it was blood that made this trail. Had Luhan really hurt him so much? He couldn't imagine that he had done something like that. Hastening his steps, Luhan followed the trail until it stopped in a darker alley than was actually light outside.

The teen looked like he had passed out, a bloody looking bandage wrapped around the other's overly thin waist. It dipped past his waist though, Luhan's eyes traveling to the other's exposed hip where most of the blood seemed to be coming from. That, I most definitely didn't do. Feeling a little better as he convinced himself, Luhan dug into the other's bag, noticing how his hadn't actually been touched. The bloody knife had been tossed haphazardly into said bag, Luhan's eyes closing in a grimace.

What the hell was going on?

Taking the white gauze steadily, Luhan wrapped it around the white haired boy, glancing every so often to make sure he did not wake up whilst Luhan was still there. The last thing he needed was for someone with a bloody knife in their bag (regardless if the blood was the boy's own) to wake up and use the knife on him. Shuddering, Luhan finished the job quickly, adding as much of the white cloth bandage that he could to stem the blood flow.

A noise from his left startled him.

He's awake.

It was time to get out. The other tried to lift his hand, but Luhan kept it down, double checking that everything was fine with the other boy (as fine as one can possibly be after stabbing themselves?) and ran. He couldn't risk being seen!

He was two blocks away when he cursed angrily at himself. He had forgotten to take his bag! There was no way he could go and retrieve it, risking the possible recognition of his features to that of a petty thief. Luhan repeated that title in his mind a few times, convincing himself of the occurrences that day.

“Hyung!” a familiar voice drifted past his subconscious, causing him to blink numerous times before the face of his little brother came into focus. “Junhong.” Luhan responded cordially, not much in the mood for more talk than that, despite being curious as to why it had taken his dongsaeng quite as much time as it had taken him to return home.

They reached their home, slowly ascending the seventeen stairs that led to the front door. Junhong had been speaking about some kind of prank his friends had thought up, and with practiced ease, Luhan nodded in all the right places. Junhong already knowing his older brother was not fooled. “And then I killed my home room teacher with a purple stun gun.” Junhong added for good measure. Glancing at Luhan with a smirk on his face, knowing he had been right that his brother wasn't listening to a word he was saying. “Sounds nice.” Luhan agreed, as they reached the front hall, Shujin meeting the both of them there. Junhong chuckled, not at all offended by his Hyung’s lack of concentration on him. He wanted to ask why his brother was soaking wet, but never got the chance with Shujin there.

“Took you guys long enough.” Shujin murmured softly, his head turning behind him to the empty corridor. “It's just us for dinner. Mum and Father are not home. I don't know where they are, but it isn't unusual for them to be gone when we are home.”

“Be right back.” Luhan muttered, running up the stairs that led to his and Shujin's room. With a sigh, Luhan removed his school shirt, turning around as he faced the mirror to notice he had a bruise on one elbow and a scrape on the other. His famous scowl lit up his face as he glared at the mirror. It was like something was trying to push him to be weak. Something wanted him to be upset!

“Rice.” Luhan interjected to his own train of thought, following his nose to the kitchen where he sat down at one of the swiveling chairs by the island, staring longingly at the rice maker that blinked the number “12” on it. Twelve minutes till the rice was ready!

Junhong had followed Luhan up the stairs as Shujin went to get the mail that had just arrived. Junhong, preferring to make food than sit around, made a small salad for the three of them to share, leaving out all kinds of animal products so Luhan would actually eat it. He was nearly done by the time Luhan had returned with a basic short sleeve t-shirt adorning his small frame. Even at thirteen, Junhong was already taller than both his siblings. He wondered what had got his brother wet in the first place. At least he had an excuse to question the older boy. “I tried calling you, Luhan!” Junhong was saying with false indignation as Shujin reentered the kitchen. “And Luhan didn't answer?” Shujin supplied helpfully. “Since when is that news?”

Junhong looked at Shujin with big eyes “I used the three times the charm rule.” Shujin’s eyes lifted a bit and looked to Luhan seriously. “You know you have to answer if a family member rings three times. So why didn't you?” Shujin sounded disappointed, causing a scarlet flush to grace Luhan's pale cheeks.

“I u-uh…” Luhan stuttered, not prepared for being put on the spot. Luhan began to hyperventilate as he panicked for what to answer his brother. He had practiced just for this, dammit! “Slowly, Luhan. Take your time.” Shujin coached, rubbing Luhan's back to calm him down in case of an oncoming panic attack. It tended to happen if Luhan got too stressed too quickly. “S-someone took my b-bag…” Luhan dropped his eyes to the floor, feeling angered once again for his constant weakness. “My phone was in there.” Luhan had planned to tell Shujin more of what had happened when he had left school, but after being scolded and his near panic attack, he thought better of it. Shujin though, knowing Luhan perhaps a bit better than most, gave Luhan a searching look. “We'll talk later.”

“Rice is ready!” Junhong yelled happily, hoping to diffuse the tense atmosphere between the twins. He had already set the table with side dishes their grandmother had made, along with the salad, and some meat for his brother and him to eat separate from Luhan's plate, as the other tended to throw a fit if anything animal came near him.

“Let's eat.” Shujin said, picking up his chopsticks to put some vegetables in between the sticks, before passing them to each of his younger brothers as they both said “I'll eat well!” simultaneously. Shujin shook his head, grinning slightly despite his worry. He really did love his brothers.

The meal went silently as everyone was into their own thoughts, and each were comfortable enough with the silence not to interrupt it.

“I'm getting up first! Got a new game to try out.”

Shujin waved him off. “Wash your hands and face and then go.” Junhong, only thirteen, knew better than to whine at being told what to do. His older twin brothers were both six years older than him and had the right to dish out punishment should he actually misbehave. He nodded his head amiably, going about his way to give the elder boys privacy. Honestly, he didn't have any games to try out, though he could easily find one. He was able to tell how strong the tension was between the twins and he wanted no part of it. The voices drifted through towards him with his sharp hearing and he sighed as he washed his hands, resigned to listen. Eventually he would drown the voices out, but until he brought up his shields he would hear it all.

“So what happened earlier?” Shujin asked, his eyes roving over his brother's body to check for any signs of wounds that he had missed earlier. Those tended to tell him more than Luhan did himself.

Luhan sighed, glaring at the wall. He was sulking and he knew it, but Shujin just wanted what was best for him. “I left school after everyone left. I had taken a detour to the bathroom, since the room was too suffocating to stay in with all the noise.”

“I noticed,” Shujin remarked drily as he waited pointedly for Luhan to continue.

Luhan huffed as he went on. “I saw the note left for me as I lifted my bag. Which is a good thing since my bag was stolen and now I am down a phone, instead of a laptop and a phone. Everything else was random trash that would have gotten thrown out in the rubbish bin regardless.”

Shujin nodded, dropping his chopsticks to their holder as he slowly lost his appetite. “Go on.”

A girl from the year younger than us tried to… flirt with me.” Luhan shuddered at the remembered memory, and the feelings that came along with it. Shujin smirked quickly, then hid it before Luhan thought he was being laughed at.

“Anyway.” Luhan drawled, annoyed at having to repeat himself. He repeated his mantra of petty thief as he continued. Any mention of a knife and Shujin would probably involve the cops. Luhan was definitely leaving that part out. “I felt that I was being followed, but didn't want to speed up as it might provoke whoever had been following me to do something stupid. I stopped at the water fountain to take a drink and this kid pushed me as he grabbed my bag.”

“That explains why you were all wet.” Shujin mused. Luhan had run to change as soon as they walked in, disposing of his wet shirt into the dryer for a quick dry. “Yes.” Luhan said, keeping his gaze on his brother. “I lost my balance and fell into the fountain.”

“It doesn't make sense though!” Shujin said suddenly, startling Luhan enough to make him jump. He sneered at himself, unable to forgive himself for becoming frightened more than once in one day. “What.” Luhan all but hissed, nursing his dignity that had long since left the premises.

“School is out. Why would a thief be interested in your bag?”

Luhan shrugged, letting his mind wander out to where his favourite tree was. He hadn't had a chance to go in over a week and he was feeling withdrawals from nature.

He grabbed his bowl as well as Junhong’s depositing the dishes into the dishwasher as he turned heel and left the room, leaving Shujin to his thoughts.

Luhan was glad that Shujin hadn't asked any more questions, and he hoped he was scott free of any possible continuation on the subject.

~~~~~~

Luhan knew he didn't have much time to hang around as the sun was slowly setting on the horizon. He had sat for nearly an hour, reclining against the solid oak and letting his thoughts drift so he could meditate. He wasn't very good at it, as thoughts tended to filter through his meditation, regardless though, it was something that settled him down. He needed that now more than ever.

Shujin liked when everyone was home before it was especially dark outside, and he tended to be more strict if their parents were not home. Luhan could never quite fathom why that was, but he would follow the rules anyway. It wasn't like it was difficult.

His parents were still MIA and for some reason that pissed Luhan off. What gave them the right to leave three children home by themselves? He didn't care that he and Shujin were both over eighteen, there was still a thirteen year old to think about!

Shujin met him on the stairs, a soft smile on his face as he embraced Luhan. Luhan exhaled all the tension from the day as he hugged back. “It will be alright. No worries, okay?” Luhan didn't believe him, since he had left out the worst of the details. “We'll go to get a new phone tomorrow, okay? I have plenty of money saved up and even rainy day money.”

Luhan shut his eyes as a heavy tiredness overcame him. He went to the bedroom he shared with Shujin and slumped on his twins side of the bed, curling up. Shujin joined him soon after checking on Junhong, who had already been in bed with a book, then wrapped an arm around Luhan comfortingly. Luhan meshed closer into his brother's embrace, falling promptly to sleep.

Shujin was not so lucky.

Tomorrow was going to be a long day.

~~~~~~

Their parents had come home close to midnight that day, the twins were long in bed by then, and Shujin was the only one properly up, so he automatically heard the soft voices. It seemed their parents were nervous about something, but Luhan had already been sleeping, and Shujin was too far into half consciousness to pay attention, even as his mother sobbed softly to his father. Shujin’s stirring had wakened Luhan slightly, allowing for Luhan to hear the sobbing himself too. It could have been anything though, and Luhan was really not the type of boy to prod into anyone else's business aside from his own, and not so frequently his twin. The sobbing eventually faded out, and Luhan forgot about it pretty quickly as he passed out.

Luhan woke early, slipping out of bed carefully, so as not to wake Shujin. At first, six weeks earlier, Shujin had constantly been woken every time Luhan left to do his Taichi. But now that he was used to it, he wasn't as concerned or afraid as he used to be. Luhan could still not fathom why he was afraid to begin with, but didn't bother to question it as he was too unconcerned. His blasé attitude bothered Shujin but to Luhan it kept him protected from mollycoddling.

What Luhan never told anyone was that he constantly had nightmares. Images of things he could not remember. People he could not remember. And then deadly swords and knives slashing this way and that, torturing him in his sleep. At first, he had had no tact, he was never prepared for the dreams when they started, and Shujin had been well aware of them. Now though, he had subconsciously trained himself to never scream. It had changed his nightmare only a tad, as he would bite his arm to prevent any sound from spilling forth. Shaking his head, Luhan let go of his thoughts and focused on his Taichi.

When he was done, he went to the miniature greenhouse to sit and relax in. He still had twenty minutes before anyone would wake up, and Luhan liked this silence to take the time to read. Like clockwork. Shujin and Junhong came down together. Junhong’s hair was messy, while Shujin's looked like he had spent some time on it.

It was Junhong’s job to set the table, but the twins always helped him out for lack of something better to do. Breakfast was early too, as generally everyone had jobs to go to, or school to attend. Now that school was over, it was by mere force of habit that everyone had assembled with tea in their hand. Shujin preferred Earl Grey, while Luhan stuck to his green tea. Junhong wanted coffee, but no one had allowed it yet. Compromising he would add milk to his tea, Luhan following his idea.

Over breakfast the boys parents (mostly Mrs Bi, Mr Bi remained quiet, looking at his reflection in his black coffee)  mentioned a huge surprise that they would announce during dinner time. Junhong whooped happily, but the twins shared frowns and remained silent. "Surprises" was something that was never really a good thing, it was something that their parents never bothered with. A surprise meant that it was something their parents did not want, but did anyway. The twins’ point was only proved more with the discreet bout of uneasy glances their parents shared that did not go overlooked by the boys. Junhong thankfully, was happily oblivious, eating his veggies with fervour. Shujin, unwilling to remain in the kitchen with so much to discuss, excused himself first from the table and Luhan quickly followed suit.

"Something is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter