ch15 ~Misconceptions of Life~

Whispers of Retribution
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ch15

~the Misconceptions of Life~

Sehun had already gone up five flights of stairs, and he still hadn't caught up to Prince Mak who had somehow got to the top of Jiyong's mansion first.

He heard them before he saw them. The sound of fiercely clashing blades. The grunts of physical exertion. Sehun could swear he even heard the droplets of sweat fall, but knew it was his imagination.

Sehun hesitated as he came into view of the battle, or what was left of it. As an assassin, Sehun understood the concentration and focus necessary for swordfighting and martial art in itself, but Sehun couldn't understand the fierceness in which the two boys were fighting. Prince Mak was nowhere to be seen, and Sehun didn't know whether or not to be grateful for that.

Sehun frowned uneasily. Not only was Prince Mak missing but other than Jiyong and Ilhun, so was everyone else.

Sehun was stuck in one spot from afar. He couldn’t bring himself to choose a side, especially after the special treatment he had received on all ends.

If he chose Ilhun, Jiyong would automatically be overpowered, and visa versa. Sehun turned down the corridor instead, worried about the other fights more than two equally experienced assassins,

He ran down the corridor releasing a breath he didn't know he was holding in when, he heard the clashing of swords anew. Sehun laughed at how much slower the sound was then those of his Hyung.

Sehun wasn't sure whether to be appreciative or not that the unfamiliar boys fighting skills weren't as up to par as Prince Mak, who couldn't have possibly had enough energy after what had happened, but Sehun guessed Prince Mak was working on pure adrenaline.

Making a quick decision he jumped in with Prince Mak who was fighting two against one.

"That's quite unfair boys, don't you think?" Sehun asked, automatically taking a front stance, blocking Prince Mak from any possible attacks. Sehun would never admit that his behind was hurting just the slightest bit... Okay, more than a little. But even though Prince Mak was better, the other two were younger and loaded with an energy Prince Mak had lost just an hour previous.

"Didn't your eomma teach you better?" Sehun growled, no longer in the mood of joking around. He lunged forward, easily cutting into the boys' arms, hoping to scare them off.

At first they tried to fight back, but Sehun remembering who else was fighting slashed at them again, this time getting a hit to one of the boy's thighs.

"You don't ing scatter, I'll kill you both." Sehun hissed, advancing again looking like a demon.

Sehun was surprised when they ran the other way, and for a moment he was disappointed in the easy way they had fled.

"I don't think they are real ninjas." Prince Mak murmured, coming out from behind Sehun. He was still breathing heavily, and a bead of sweat was trickling down his cheek.

Sehun wiped the offending wetness then turned around. "Jiyong and my Hyung are fighting. I need to get back to him." Sehun realised he had just played a pronoun game, but Prince Mak didn't ask which 'Him' Sehun was referring to, and Sehun didn't provide the information. Honestly, he didn't know himself.

"I'm guessing the other two are in a little battle of their own. Best you get to them and help." Sehun whispered, before running full fledged back to the corridor his Hyung and Jiyong had been fighting.

The swishing of swords was still in play by the time Sehun arrived. Apparently Jiyong had decided to push them away from the large corridor and engaging in battle on the stairs.

"That is such a bad idea!" Sehun groaned as he saw his brother advancing against Jiyong.

Sehun took out his already bloody blade and ran up the stairs just as Ilhun parried to cut into Jiyong who had somehow been chased against the boundary of the stairs and the wall.

Sehun could only have eyes for his brother at that moment as the look in Ilhun's eyes showed the eagreness to take a life. He would not let Ilhun kill, especially without any explanations!

"Stop!" he screamed at the top of his lungs, wishing he had the foresight to bring a gun so he could shoot it at the ceiling in a very movie type clichè. But he didn't. Ilhun heard him, but didn't stop his advance. Jiyong was only holding one sword and suddenly Sehun realised it was a trap. He was there when Jiyong prepared his swords and knew clearly Jiyong had two. He had even joked about it!

It was a split second decision that Sehun made, picking his side then. He leapt in between the second sword aimed for Ilhun, that he doubted his brother saw Jiyong taking out, gasping as it was shoved into him instead.

A lot of people screamed his name then.

Had more people arrived? Sehun wondered. He had immediately felt the way the blood was pouring out of his body. It must have been quite messy, was Sehun's drowsy thought.

Sehun knew he was dying. His only regret was not getting to see Luhan before he passed. He was used to the pain that coursed through him, even though his vision was fading fast. He gave a watery smile up at Jiyong and Ilhun whose panicked shouts had transferred from the sound of metal hitting metal.

He didn't doubt Ilhun would seek revenge and likely kill Jiyong in his suffering of losing his dongsaeng. But Sehun gasped out a last wish, that's what people did when they were about to die, right? He laughed at the irony, but it came out as a choked gurgling sound that only seemed to concern the others more.

"Don't... Live... Like m-me..." Sehun panted, tears blurring his eyesight more. "Don't kill anyone..." he tried to grab someone's hand, but they had blood on their hands, and Sehun couldn't keep his eyes open anymore...

"Luhan..." he murmured, trying to convey that he loved the little deer but he couldn’t think anymore as he passed out.

~~~~~~

There was silence as Tao had fallen into an uneasy sleep. "Probably the meds or whatever is in that IV drip." Eunhyuk guessed from his position on the bed. He was sat at the corner of the bigger than king bed, while his two friends sat in various spots around the room, feeling uncomfortable to be that close.

"It's getting a little risky to remain away from Camp." Zelo whispered, pulling a stray hair away from his face. "Has anyone thought about what we will do when we go back? I'm sure we'll be questioned until next season..." Zelo continued, trying to keep an eye on Luhan who had gone to lay as close as possible to Tao's warmth.

"Has anyone even been in contact with the guys back home?" Xiumin asked, gritting his teeth as he remembered exactly what had caused this frenzy, he still couldn't quite forgive Kai for what he had done, not feeling guilty for the way he hoped Kai would die a very unpleasant death. But then he smacked himself into thinking in a healthier way. He wasn't the assassin here.

"I think we should straighten one thing at a time." Zelo answered his own statement with advice that made sense.

"Everyone shut up." Tao groaned, blinking the sleep out of his eyes, annoyed that he had fallen victim to whatever med juice he was fed. And damn he was hungry.

"Got any food?" Tao asked of Eunhyuk who quickly rang for the maid to bring them a platter of various things to eat.

He held his growling stomach, pulling Luhan closer to himself, as Luhan had sat up when he did. Tao couldn't help but the soft locks on Luhan's head, kissing the boy's forehead as Luhan purred at the attention. He continued sifting his fingers through Luhan's locks as he spoke. "We are going back now." Tao said, ignoring the IV as he pulled it from his arm.

"Eat first," Junsu suggested just as the ajumma knocked on the door, entering with the tray of numerous types of food. Tao was about to disagree, but his growling stomach spoke for him, and he let himself be sat properly, digging into the food with a groan. Luhan laid his head against Tao's lap, sneaking some of the finger food to nibble on his own.

Neither Xiumin nor Tao said anything about how adorable it was, lest Luhan go back into his shell of utter silence and immobility.

Tao found himself feeding Luhan the things he thought tasted better and drifted into his own thoughts as he chewed. Once he swallowed, the food digesting carefully within him, Tao wiped his hands, glad there were some moist wipes to do it with.

"Everyone has everything with them, right? Tao asked, holding onto Luhan's hand, before changing his mind, bending down to show Luhan he should get on his back. The scepticism on Luhan's face made Tao smile. The boy clearly had some intelligence in him, even when traumatised.

He ignored the others reprimanding looks, biting back the small bit of jealousy when Xiumin took hold of Luhan's dangling hand. But then Luhan laid his head against Tao's neck, breathing softly, and Tao forgot his jealousy.

Eunhyuk saw that Tao wouldn't change his mind anytime soon, instead showing them to the door that was thankfully bolted this time. "Go safely." Eunhyuk suggested, Junsu and Jinwoon echoing his sentiments.

Tao held a sword in his hand, while somehow still balancing Luhan on his back. Xiumin couldn't remember Tao actually having a sword, though when it came to Tao, many secrets were unrevealed.

"What do you plan on doing with that sword, Tao?" Xiumin asked, though he knew the answer somehow.

"Everything that deserves to be done." he responded, his voice going chilly in the dark night.

"Are you sure it's necessary to be going when it's four am?" Zelo asked, his eyes twitching in annoyance.

"Have anything better to do?" Tao snapped, his mind on other things, and not in the mood to be bothered.

Zelo wanted to very smartly respond that yes, he would like to sleep, but decided against it with the glare Tao put on the group.

"Please tell me you don't expect us to walk all the ing way back." Zelo growled instead, his sour mood becoming clear. Luhan looked at him with a frown but said nothing, snuggling back into the warm crook of Tao's neck.

Tao wanted to suddenly cuddle and kiss the boy, and maybe even do more, the sudden burst of love for Luhan was so unexpected he almost fell to his knees.

"No." Tao said instead, mustering his thoughts together, his hand reaching up to pet Luhan's head gently as he walked towards an unknown location, everyone automatically following him, Zelo albeit grudgingly.

Tao stopped at the clearing where the path met the road and tapped his foot exactly ten times. On the eleventh, a car had zoomed up, and Tao's expression turned into one that would put a sneer to shame.

The man boy that stepped out of the car though seemed rather pleased to see him. They conversed in Chinese though all of them understood, Tao didn't seem to bothered.

The unfamiliar boy ushered them into the car, but Luhan refused to let go of Tao. Tao, hadn't wanted to let go of Luhan either, but he was glad it was Luhan who made the fuss not to be separated. He pulled Luhan against him in the front seat while the rest clambered in the back. Xiumin had remained farther behind and only clambered in a full minute after the others.

He didn't apologise.

Tao kept his lips pressed against Luhan's hair, pretending he didn't realise the intimacy of the act.

Xiumin was in a bad mood too, Tao could sense, especially with the way he slammed the door, and huffed into silence.

For a reason nobody could understand, though nobody seemed to care, the car ride to the hotel took longer than expected. Had they really gone that far from the hotel?

Tao closed his eyes, pulling Luhan to press against him more as the large limo like car left everyone enough room to spread out.

"Kai is lucky for tonight." Tao murmured into Luhan's hair. And Tao found himself surprised that Luhan responded with a nod. Was Luhan opening to people again?

"I'll deal with him tomorrow morning." Tao added, mostly for Luhan's benefit.

"We'll go straight to the room we were in. Luhan and I-"

"-and I." Zelo and Xiumin interrupted simultaneously.

"And you guys." Tao rolled his eyes. "Will all get some sleep so we can perhaps have a normal life, okay?" Tao said nothing after that, and the others knew that they should be thankful Tao had Luhan to keep him calm.

Tomorrow there would be hell to pay.

~~~~~~

The moon was shining too brightly for the time it was, but the silence in the room matched the mood. Most everyone was sleeping, as Daesung and Seungri should have been, but for some reason both of them remained awake as the night crawled on.

It was weird to be surrounded by people whom one would consider friends, training and learning and fighting together for many hours would certainly create such bonds. It was the heart that had to remain shut and closed and silenced from the truth of the reality they lived in.

It was easier to forget why they were there, or why they had to deal with things that were better left un

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter