We Became Friends

Avalanche

Wonshik and Hongbin was lying down the field in the hospital. They were staring at the stars talking about how fun the past month was. 

 

     "My university was considerate enough to give students month and a half sembreak. It's just a pity we didn't fill the half month." Wonshik said in his voice trailed with loneliness. Hongbin couldn't talk. He was lonely as much as Wonshik. Talking would make it obvious and they might be lonelier if he say something.

     "But always know that our friendship is more important. We can always text, wait for another 4 months and hang out again." Wonshik smiled hoping to give off a positive vibe. But he's leaving tomorrow and Hongbin can't pretend like he's okay.

     "Wonshik..." he break his silence. "...can't you study here? I mean.... there are good universities here as well. Not as great at Seoul but still good enough." 

 

Wonshik stared at Hongbin. His pleading eyes are so beautiful. He is beautiful. How could he be this perfect? Friendly, kind, strong, sweet, funny and to top all of it, perfect physical traits. Wonshik thought, "Wow. I haven't been this close to someone I just met months ago. We didn't even see other that much."


He felt lucky. He hopes Hongbin feels the same. 


He wanted to end the night well, but he can't think of anything. "So..." he said still staring Hongbin. "...what do you want to do?" 
"Hmm?"

     "I mean... we should spend the rest of the night bonding. But there aren't any 24 hours store or mall or anything."

     "Well..." Hongbin was thinking. "Maybe we could just simply lie down and sleep here?"

 

It was crazy butit was perfect. They could maximize their time together with doing nothing and just appreciating the fact that they're together.
Wonshik closed his eyes. "You're the best companion i've ever had." He said before falling into slumber. Hongbin stared at him. His facial structure looks tough sometimes but most of the time, he's like a hamster. He's cute but manly at the same time. 


Also... he's falling deeper. 


He can't do anything but stare at Wonshik. Hongbin was close to tears and there's nothing he can do to stop it. He burst into tears...quietly. He was happy because he never thought they'll be this close and sad coz they have to see each other after long months. Soon after, he fell asleep.
Hongbin woke up in Wonshik's arms. He used it as a pillow. He was surprised and he turned around. He was shy. Suddenly, Wonshik laughed. He turned around and saw Wonshik's face red from laughing.

 

     "If you could see the look on your face..." Wonshik continued laughing. 

     "Wh-what?" Hongbin asked confused.

 

Wonshik took a deep breath before talking. "I purposely put your head in my arms." He smiled. "But... but...." he burst our laughing again. "But you look like you commited a crime." 

Hongbin was staring. Should I laugh? Should I get mad? But I was flustered coz I like him. He thought. Wonshik noticed that he didn't react. "I-im sorry." He said lowering his head.


     "We-were you mad?" He asked with his puppy eyes. Hongbin was still trying to contain his feelings. "Well you shouldn't be!" Woshik jumped out and pinched Hongbin's cheeks. "You're so cute!" He said smiling brightly.

     "Oh by the way. Now that we're both awake, come with me!" Wonshik helped Hongbin up. He got some wheelchair and carefully sat Hongbin down. He pushed it excitedly out the Hospital and called a cab. 

     "W-wait! Wonshik! Where are we going?" Hongbin asked Wonshik panicking before he went inside the cab.

     "To meet my family!" He smiled. 


Hongbin was both happy and nervous. Meet his family? That souds nervewracking. It's as if he'll ask Wonshik's hand for marriage. 
They went home with Wonshik's mom in front of the door. Wonshik grinned but he was welcomed with a pinch in his ears. "Where were you last night? Huh?"


     "Mom! Mom! I brought home a friend! This is embarassing!"

     "From Seoul?"

     "No. A friend I met at the Hospital."

 

Wonshik's mom suddenly tidy herself up. Wonshik went to get the wheelchair while his momwas looking at him confused. He then opened the door and an angelic face popped out the door. He was literally shining. Beautiful indeed. 

 

     "Mom. This is Hongbin. He's my friend whom I told you before."

 

Her look went straight to his feet. She remembered Wonshik asking about the disease of the guys he bumped and helped out. "Ohhh! The one you told us about on your first day back here?" 

     "Hmm-mm." Wonshik nodded.

     "Welcome! I never thought you'll be friends! But i'm happy you are. Come in, come in." She assisted Wonshik in pushing Hongbin. "I was waiting for him last night. We were about to prepare a feast before he leaves but we were waiting for him so he could tell us what he wanted to eat. But this boy..." she pinched his ears again. "Didn't come home last night."

     "Ohh. I'm sorry. We fell asleep at the field looking at the stars and..."

     "Field?!" She pinched Wonshik again. "There's a bed waiting for you home and you slept on the field?"

     "He's my best pal mom! I wanted to make the most out of our night." He said. It was the first time Wonshik brought home a friend but to what it looks like, it seems like it'll be more than that. 

     "Well... you're leaving in 6 hours so it's okay. Let's make the most out of everyone's time."

 

They cooked and told stories. They helped Wonshik packing his clothes, washing the dishes and doing chores. Hongbin missed this. Having a family. Whether they're small or a big family, it doesn't matter. It's different and lovely.

 

Wonshik was an hour away from leaving. He took his time bringing Hongbin home.   

 

     "Are you really fine living by yourself?"

     "Of course! I've been doing this for months." Hongbin smiled. He wanted to assure Wonshik and himself that he'll be okay. But of course, having

Wonshik in his life made everything different. 

 

Wonshik spent his remaining minutes before leaving on checking up Hongbin's things, reminding him to eat and maintain his health, making sure he's on speed dial no.1 and all. Hongbin felt safe. It's as if Wonshik's leaving some part of him to make sure he's safe. 


Before he left, he hugged Hongbin so tight. Neither of them didn't want to break that hug. But the cab driver is honking outside they had to cut it off.

 

"So I guess i'll see you after 4 months?" 

 

Hongbin nodded trying to smile. "Don't be too lonely without me okay?" Wonshik.said laughing but still with a hint of loneliness. They hugged one last time and Wonshik head off.