Unexpectedly.

Avalanche

Wonshik rushed out only to find Hongbin wasn't in there anymore. He felt bad not helping him go back, and also, not knowing what room he is in. He only know he goes by the name Hongbin so he went to the front desk to ask.

     "I'm sorry sir, but there is no patient admitted here with the name Hongbin."

     "I know the name is very hard and rare, but can you please check again? You might have mispelled it."

     "Okay sir, just a second."

A few clicks, enter, type. The nurse face went from serious to relieved. "I'm sorry Sir for waiting too long. A patient named Hongbin is in the room 402." she smiled widely. Wonshik then smile back and thank her. He ran upstairs until the 4th floor and checked the room 402.

Hongbin.

He practiced a few lines to say he's sorry and that he would love to take him out sometimes. Maybe be friends with him? Hope he would'nt mind, he thought. He knocked and opened the door slowly only to find out a lot of people in the room. Wasn't he alone? He shrugged and look at the bed. It wasn't the Hongbin he was looking for. He apologized and went out.

     "Ugh... I wonder where he is." He told himself he'll try to find him tomorrow. He still got 3 days before he goes back to Seoul for his Midterm Examinations. He went back to his grandmother's room defeated and tired. He grab a few food his mother ordered and avoided conversations. He didn't know why he felt guilty, even though Hongbin said it was fine. Still, it wasn't enough to make up for how he bumped him and his ignorance with Hongbin's case, he thought. 

 

 

One morning, he took his grandmother outside for a walk. He was hoping that maybe he could see Hongbin walking somewhere. He just wanted to apologize one last time before he leaves tomorrow. But they finished walking after an hour and a half, still, he didn't see him. He thought maybe it was just meant for him to bring him over the cafeteria, and that's it. He was being too creepy too. But Hongbin thinks it's okay. Maybe Hongbin likes him? He grinned.

     "Who could resist my charms?" he accidentally blurted out while walking.

     "What?" his grandmother said.

     "Oh? N-nothing grandma." He smiled.

     "Were you thinking of someone? You're with me!" his grandma pouted.

Wonshik laughed his off. It wasn't really cute, it was funny. He missed this. Having fun with his family, laughing, telling stories. He kind of felt guilty thinking about Hongbin when he's here for his family. Soon, Hongbin vanished from his thoughts.

 

His mother ordered the same dinner as last night. Chicken. 

     "Mom... i'm sick of chicken. I might look like one in no time! I always eat chicken in Seoul with beer...." he stopped and both Mrs. Kim and his grandma looked at him. "Beer?" his mother asked. "You're drinking beer now?" she stood up and went near Wonshik. He waved his hands telling his mom "no" and "go away". 

     "I didn't mean to! It was an aquiantance party!" He stood up and hugged his grandma.

     "Oh, let him be! He's old enough. He's no longer in High School." his grandma sided him. Mrs. Kim sighed in defeat knowing his mother loves Wonshik so much. "Don't drink too much." She said going back to her seat. "I won't." Wonshik answered happily going back to his seat. 

     "But please... no more chicken."

 

 

It was his last day. He thought about ditching his exams when he tried to oversleep but too bad, his mother was quick to catch on. "Wonshik!" she said shaking him. He was awake. He was breathing loudly. "You have to prepare for your exams tomorrow. You need to go back before night so you could study and rest well." He didn't budge. 

     "Okay. One week alowance off."

He jumped up. "I'm awake." He got up and washed his face and brushed his teeth. "I wish Finals would come fast. Never wished for it last semester." He was feeling sad and empty. He didn't want to leave. He didn't want to go to Seoul. In fact, it was never his choice. It was Mrs. Kim's and his grandma. 2 vs 1? Nevermind. He just went off like how they want him to.

     "Just to remind you guys, it wasn't my choice to study in Seoul. So if you miss me so bad, that'll be your punishment." Wonshik announced as he finished washing up. He packed his things, although it was just few, he organized it so he'll know if he left something behind. 

His mother and grandmother wanted to bid him goodbye until the hospital's exit but they were kind of getting emotional. They didn't want to see him get on the taxi to the bus terminal. Kids grew up so fast. They hugged him tight one last time. "Just 2 more months." Wonshik said. His mother nodded trying to hold back tears. If only he can stay.

He went out to the elevator. It was faster this time. He wished it wasn't.

When he hopped on the elevator, Hongbin emerged from the Fire Exit.

Hongbin saw Wonshik, but Wonshik didn't saw him.