Chapter 6

Hands and Leaves.

The next day during class, Nana watched almost with disgust Raina's smile while holding a book she planned to show to Naeun. When the aim of her eyes looked back at her, she rolled her own eyes before looking away. 

The bell rang and Nana stood up and got out without even minding to follow Raina or ask where she was going.

At night, while Raina was bathing Nana, the latter —who was peacefully sitting in a chair as water was being poured on her— noticed the same smile she found disgusting. "You still got that smile?"

"I'm just happy. You don't find someone you get along with everyday. I've been enjoying to meet her often" Raina's face blushed lightly as she spoke up.

"I don't remember asking you about Naeun" Raina decided to ignore Nana's words and keep on bathing her, hiding her face from her. 

"Heh, inferior species like humans can't stand loneliness, they're always in the need to be with someone of their kind." said Nana with a mocking smile. 

"Yes, we get lonely and like company when we can get it. But what would you know about it? You're a plant! You wouldn't understand human emotions!!"

Nana stood up slowly, took the towel, got herself dry and went to bed, turning her back at Raina who then bit her lip in a slight sense of guilt for her answer.

--

Next day, when she met with Naeun at the school's cafeteria, she talked to her about last night's event.

"I guess you went out of hand"

"I feel bad, I know I shouldn't have said that"

"Well, isn't she your friend?"

"I think so. Yes."

"Just talk to her. Here" Naeun pulled a can of orange soda from a plastic bag she carried along some other things. "It could be a good start point" she gave the can to Raina and smiled at her.

"Thank you" Raina looked at the entrance and saw Nana walking by, she stood up, but turned at Naeun with a worried face "Go, it's okay."

Both suddenly noticed that the violets out of the window bloomed. "Viola odorata. In the language of flowers, it means-"

"Secret love" finished Naeun, smiling at her. Raina slightly blushed, then remembered she had to go to apologize to Nana.

"I'm going to the greenhouse, thanks again!" she said for the last time before leaving the cafeteria and straight to the greenhouse, it wasn't that far from there. As soon as she entered, she noticed Nana, peacefully looking at another plant.

Raina collected some courage and walked towards the girl, "Hey" Nana turned to her without saying a word, "I'm really sorry about last night. I know I shouldn't have said that. I'm... I'm sorry." Nana looked down at what she was holding, Raina noticed it and raised her hand with the can of orange soda "Well, this is supposed to be some kind of... peace offer or something" she laughed nervously.

"I'll have it" Nana said, snatching the can from Raina's hand. 

"Does that mean...?" Raina's eyes widened and a happy smile started to draw on her lips.

Nana nodded, keeping her usual serious expression and proceeding to drink. Raina's smile finally formed fully, she looked down to hide it from Nana.

Raina looked up to watch Nana enjoying her drink but suddenly, the super plant was stiff, and a few seconds later her body fell to the ground, shaking.

"Oh god... Nana!" she turned her to take a look at her face "Her face is turning yellow.. and so her hair. What's going on?"