Chapter 3

Hands and Leaves.

The next day in the classroom, Raina avoided to stare much at Nana, even if she loved plants a lot, she didn’t want to come at her as a stalker, but then, something worried her, the sad expression the other girl was wearing that day. Her hair didn't have the green shades, but instead, there were some gray streaks. The aspiring botanist didn't want to bother her, so she just read her book trying to think on something, or finding some recognizable pattern.

 

When the class was over, Raina met with Uee who introduced her some of her friends, it didn't took much time for her to start laughing. However, she noticed from afar, that Nana was looking at her with that sad expression before entering a room.

 

"Stop it! Leave me alone! Why you even brought me into this world if you don't let me have friends?" Nana yelled the words at the plants who went wild, screeches were heard in her ears, but no human would be able to listen to them, only look at the huge and fast movement of vines and leaves.

 

"I think I wanna go, yes, I want to- I want to go back." she finally said, defeated.

 

The next couple of days Nana avoided Raina as much as she could, making the latter feel like she was a bother.

 

The following day, Nana didn't show up, Raina kept looking at her seat, then she found something curious, a leave, a beautiful green leave, which after a few seconds of taking it, went yellow and dry.

 

Once the last class was over, Raina went out quickly, to look for Nana.

 

"This human world is useless, take me back" whispered Nana, to which another voice suddenly replied.

 

"Why would you go back? Why not staying?"

 

"And what? Study me?" she asked to the approaching figure.

 

"I just want you to know yourself and what you're able to, well, some samples of you wouldn't be a waste, you're unique."

 

"This kind of thing is what makes me wanna go back, thanks for making it easier"

 

The owner of the voice left and so Nana walked among the plants, letting their embrace to take her as she closed her eyes. "Take me back, who would even want to be around someone like me?"

 

"Hey! stop! don't do that!"

 

"Don't come in here, human" demanded Nana from Raina, but the latter didn't respond, instead she went right in front of her as the big spikes started to grow up on the vines holding Nana, but that didn't stop her.

 

"Stop, you'll get hurt, idiot!" shouted Nana

 

"But it's dangerous for you to be in there!"

 

"Don't--!"

 

"Look, I'll leave you alone if that's what you want, I just want you to be safe, okay?" Raina said as she fought the vines and spikes, hurting her hands in the process, blood dripping from them.

 

Finally after many tries, she made it. Nana's body fell on top of her, once this one got up, she asked why Raina did that, she just responded:

 

"I was just curious, to be honest, I just wanted you to stay, at least a little longer. I even... I even thought we could be friends." making Nana go into a shock, after a minute of silence, she looked at her with a serious face.

 

"So, what are you gonna do now with me?"

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"You avoided my return among the plants, how are you gonna take responsibility of this?"

 

At the dorm...

 

A yell came of from the bathroom, where two girls were. "Are you crazy?! Have you really ever took care of a plant? I can't be soaked in hot water!"

 

"I'm so sorry! I'll make it up to you!"

 

Raina prepared her own bed for Nana, using the blow dryer to help her get rid of the water, then using scissors to cut the bad sprouts that grew on her head once she was dry. After Nana laid down, Raina went close to her "Is it okay? I hope you have a good sleep, I'll be better at this soon, I promise." she retired and bowed many times as a way to emphasize her apology.

 

After a few minutes, Raina went to check if Nana was asleep, apparently she was, and once she was about to caress her head, something happened...

 

A flower, a beautiful big white rose, grew up from the back of her head, Raina smiled.

 

We may not be able to hear the expressions of plants, but they can really communicate with humans.

 

For her it was clear what Nana meant with that flower.

 

Thank you.