Chapter 15

Hands and Leaves.

Raina watched Nana while she was sleeping. Something unusual started to happen: she started to talk in her sleep. Not only that, the words  was uttering were terms that she read in the dictionary.

Can plants dream?

She kept that interrogation on her head and went straight for her notebook, to write down about this event. When finishing, her eyes went through the previous notes during the day:

9:10am

I’m at the greenhouse with Nana, since she just affirmed to love rain. There was no sunshine so I thought that it would be a nice idea. Apparently it
was, she seems really happy.

She got rid of her clothes to enjoy the rain properly.

I’ll make a stop here to state that the following events I’m about to write, will be strictly from a scientific point of view, just saying, since it’ll probably sound too poetic to be coming from such observation, to not mention other possible views. I consider that documenting her feelings, those implicit ones, is of utmost
importance in order to understand her.

She stood up right there in front of me letting the water pour over her body with her eyes closed. It was a fascinating view. She was in such peace…

The instants where movements were absent, made her blend perfectly with the plants around her.

She raised up her hands. Something must have surprised her when she opened her eyes, then again, she smiled. I wonder if there was moment when she forgot of her human form.

Something was clear for me: somehow, she missed to live as a plant.

**

3:00pm

I’ve been teaching Nana how to read, I started with the ABCs, she got it quite fast, too fast for a human. It made me think on what Dr. Park said to me about her, about how she evolves.

Such evolution statement might be correct when we take into account that she’s a plant. Plants have the quality to change quickly their composition, adapting themselves to any situation.

The thing is, that it mostly happens when they’re in danger. 

I’d find it not only empty, but naive from my part to think that Nana considers her lack of reading skills as a danger. She told me that she guides herself by her senses. Then again, it would be actually naive to not consider it.

What I can certainly point out, is that her capacity to evolve fast, has incidence on her human portion, specifically, her ability to learn.

Maybe is too soon to make such statement. After all, I’d need more data to prove this, more than that, I’ll never know what she actually thinks. I don’t know her enough.

**

How silly I am. Raina thought while looking up to the ceiling. I barely know her, yet I already like her. I can’t have her inches close to me because I blush everytime and I can’t help it.

Sad, isn’t it?

Maybe I’ll never actually get to know her. More than that, not because she doesn’t like to be away from me it’s equivalent to the “she likes me” statement. Plants have feelings…

…but do they fall in love?

Raina fell asleep on the sofa she was sitting, being one of her self-advices to not get false hopes. Nana knows she likes her, but to the human girl’s eyes it didn’t mean that they were going to be together, the super plant might one day become familiar with the feeling, but…

Would a plant fall for another species?

Would a plant learn to look beyond the despise for humans and learn to love?

**

Next morning, Raina woke up by the sound of a voice.

“The book people! They are the books.”

She opened her eyes and saw Nana watching a movie, or more like focusing on it, she barely blinked or moved. After realizing what movie was, Raina closed her eyes to sleep a bit more until the movie ended. She calculated the minutes it would take the movie to finish and set an alarm that rang on time.

When she woke up, she found Nana sitting in front of her, staring at her eyes, as if she was trying to find out something. Before she could ask what was it, Nana asked “what’s your story?”

Raina looked at her confused “What do you mean by that?”

“What story do you carry with you?”

“That’s a deep question” Raina smiled kindly, Nana stood silent. Then, the former continued “As for now, I’m just an aspiring botanist who wants to do the best for this plant’s happiness and self-acceptance as both part of the plant and human community. But also wonders if it’s the right thing to assume that
that’s what would make her happy.”

Nana then dared to make Raina a question she’s been holding for a while “What about your feelings?”

“I don’t think we’re ready for this conversation” Raina said standing up from her chair, but Nana threw another question.

“I'm not familiar with that feeling that makes you all cause to pluck flowers from the fields. But, still, what about love?”

Raina sighed and stared at her before answering “Love… is complicated. Mistakes happen, conscious and unconscious ones. Still, love it’s related to a few things, like: honesty, protection and sacrifice.”

“Anyone you love?”

Raina smiled “It’s forbidden. She’s a Montague and I’m a Capulet.”