Very much so

Push and Pull

It was a sunny afternoon in Los Angeles, California and the girls had just finished filming half of the music video for Ice Cream Cake. The director decided to finally call it a day and they were given the time to explore what has been popularly known as the City of Angels. Wendy, being the group's most fluent English-speaker, is walking infront, alongside the two maknaes, with Seulgi and Irene in tow. They decided to get drinks from a Starbucks cafe they happened to pass by. They sat on a round table just outside the store because they all agreed that it'll give them more chances to enjoy the city's scenery.

"Wow. This place is crazy...", Seulgi started as she continues to bask in the skyscrapers, shopping centres, thousand of cafes, and busy streets around them. "I mean crazy in a good way. I'm not used to seeing Americans everywhere around me."

Wendy, who was sat to her left looked at her and answered, "Well, that's La-la-land for you" then went back to watching the people walking by before continuing, "I haven't really been here before. I'd say it's totally different from where I'd stayed in Canada and Minnesota. Just watching the people makes me feel tired. Look at them!", she said subtly pointing at passers-by, "It's like someone pressed the fast forward button and they all just started running about in a very fast pace."

All the girls nodded in agreement. "Above anything else though, I am more terrified to be approached by someone and get asked a question because I wouldn't have a single clue what they would be saying", Yeri added which earned laughters from her unnies.

While the other members were busy chit-chatting, Seulgi couldn't help but notice how their leader seem to be just a little bit more quiet than her normal self so she decided to turn to her right and tapped Irene's shoulder. The latter, who was busy having a staring competition with her drink, jumped at the action but smiled when she saw Seulgi looking at her. Seulgi noted at how the smile that was being thrown her away didn't quite reach the eyes.

"Hey, you okay?", the younger girl asked.

"Yeah. Why?", Irene said as she tucked strands of Seulgi's hair behind her ear which made the latter's cheeks turn into a hue of pink.

"Nothing. I was just asking", Seulgi said as she leaned into the leader's touch. "You sure you're okay?"

Irene chuckled and pinched Seulgi's cheeks playfully, "I appreciate your concern, but I'm really okay. Now finish your frappuccino before it turns into liquid", she said as she took a sip at her own drink herself.

Seulgi seemed to hesitate but listened to Irene anyway, "Okay. If you say so".

-

The girls were shopping for some clothes when Seulgi announced that she isn't feeling well and needs to go home. Irene was quick to dial the driver's number and said that she'll be accompanying the group's bear to make sure that she gets back to the hotel safely.

Once in the car, Irene was about to ask how she's feeling when Seulgi reached for the shorter girl's forehead. Irene tried to dodge but was not quick enough this time.

"You're burning", Seulgi stated. "You said you're okay."

"I thought you're not feeling we-", Irene tried to counter only to be cut off by Seulgi, sounding more unamused by the second.

"You said you're okay but you're not. You lied to me."

"I didn't really want the group to get worried. I'm sorry", Irene said as she tried to hold her best friend's hand but the latter moved her hand away.

"But I was ing worried! I knew there was something wrong! You were barely talking I didn't know what to think anymore! I thought I'd done something or said something that upset you!", Seulgi said, her voice getting louder surprising both herself and the girl sat beside her. When she saw the look of shock on Irene's face, she lowered her head, took a deep breath and sighed, her facial features softening. "I'm sorry. I just... I was so worried".

Irene took another chance of holding her hand, and this time, she was allowed to lace their fingers together. "No, I'm sorry. I just didn't want to ruin the whole thing because you girls were enjoying- and I wanna enjoy it with you. We don't always get this kind of opportunity you know. I just want to make it memorable. I think my plan just backfired", she confessed as her eyes begin to water.

Seulgi's heart almost broke at the sight in front of her. She scooted closer and wrapped her arms around the petite leader who leaned her head on her chest. "You're too harsh on yourself, do you know that?", she began. "You work the hardest amongst all of us, and now it's all catching up on you. You should give yourself a rest. I'm pretty sure Wendy, Joy, and Yeri will understand. And if they don't, which I highly doubt, I will make them", Seulgi finished as she placed a gentle kiss on the top of Irene's head. She felt the latter's arms slowly make their way around her.

"Thank you. You always seem to know what to say."

Soon, they were back at the hotel suite and Irene went to the room she shared with Seulgi, then straight to her bed (well, more like forced to go straight to her bed but whatever), and closed her eyes. She felt her shoes being taken off, a blanket placed over her shivering body, and a wet towel carefully placed over her forehead.

She then heard Seulgi's voice, "Hey, Wendy, how're you guys going? Listen, I'll explain everything later but for now I just need a little favour. Irene-unnie is really not feeling well so will you be able to get some..." Seulgi's voice was starting to fade away and before she knew it, Irene was fast asleep.

-

When Irene woke up, she glanced at the clock on the right bedside table and it read 7:00PM. She sighed. She sat up from the bed and it took her a full minute to process everything in front of her. Balloons and rose petals scattered on the floor of her room and there was a party hat resting on top of the bedroom accessory cabinet. She stood up and took the hat then slowly made her way out of her room. The suite's living room is decorated the same way.

"Oh! Unnie! You're awake!", Joy rushed to tackle the leader into a hug. "Are you feeling better?" Irene nodded and took note of how the younger girl was already in her pyjamas, and she was wearing a party hat similar to the one she was holding.

Wendy approached her next with a glass of water on one hand, and a pill on the other. "Unnie, here, take your medicine to make you feel even better." Irene did as told. "We were so worried when Seulgi rang me and said you're sick. I was confused at first because she was the one who excused herself to go home. And then it sort of clicked that maybe she did that because she knew you were going to come back with her."

Irene nodded, "Yeah, that girl. Smartass. Where is she anyway? And Yeri?"

Just as she finished what she's saying, the hotel door swung open and Seulgi, whose eyes went straight to Irene, rushed up to check how the leader was feeling.

"Hey. You're up. Sorry, we just went out to get rent some movies. Are you okay? Have you eaten? Did you want anything?", Seulgi said in less than five seconds.

"Woah Seulgi-unnie calm down!", Yeri said."Irene-unnie, you okay now?"

Irene held her hands up and smiled, "Guys, I'm alright now. Thank you for taking care of me, for once", she joked and everyone pulled their 'excuse me what' faces. "I was kidding. Seriously, thank you. But, what's up with the balloons and party hats?"

Everyone turned to look at Seulgi who just shrugged at them. The maknae could only facepalm while Wendy and Joy rolled their eyes at the bear.

"Well," Wendy started as she side-eyed Seulgi, "A little birdie told the three of us", pointing to Joy, Yeri, and herself, "that you wanted to make our stay here memorable. So that little birdie thought since you're too unwell to go out, it's a good idea to have a slumber party and a movie marathon instead", she finished with a smile.

Irene turned her head to look at Seulgi who was trying so hard to cover her blushing face with her hair. She smiled and said, "You're too cute".

-

After their third movie, the girls decided to call it a night. Seulgi and Irene were already on their own beds both trying hard to go to sleep. Seulgi heard some shuffling and then felt her bed dip. Her senses went to overdrive when she was invaded with the smell of vanilla and lavender, moreso when she felt Irene's arms wrap around her stomach and her breath hit the back of her neck.

"I hate you".

Well Seulgi definitely wasn't expecting that so she turned around to face the other girl. She almost forgot how to speak when she realised how close their faces were.

"Uhhm... W-Why do you hate me?"

"Because you have to be so perfect I just can't help but love you."

Seulgi's heart stopped at that. Love? Did she just hear that right? Oh wait. They're best friends. Of course she loves her as her best friend. She just said that not too long ago. Seulgi was trying so hard not to get her hopes up. She feels like she deserved an Oscar Award for being able to keep a straight face even when she's being hit by a tidal wave of emotions.

"You said you wanted to make this memorable remember?", she started as she reached to caress Irene's cheek with the back of her hand. "So I thought why not make it a girls' night?" She traced the outline of Irene's jaw and then cupped her chin to make the other girl look back at her straight in the eye. "But I just want you to know, and to always remember, that any moment spent with you, whether it be in LA, Korea, Japan, Philippines, or even under an old bridge, is always memorable to me. And I know the others feel the same way. Okay?"

She saw a tear fall down Irene's eye so she kissed it away. She doesn't know where she found the courage to do so, but she's not complaining. Another tear fell and she kissed it away yet again and then turned to look at the angel beauty in front of her. She saw a glint in Irene's eyes as their heads get in together. Before she could figure out what it was, the leader ducked her head so that it's resting on Seulgi's chest. The latter could only close her eyes and say to herself 'what the was that?!'. Seulgi called upon all the saints and wished that she hadn't made things awkward.

She heaved a sigh of relief when Irene hugged her tighter and said, "You're the best".

"I know", she joked, hoping to ease the (ual) tension.

But then of course Irene, being Irene, doesn't make things any easier. She pecked Seulgi's neck and whispered, "Just reminding you. Goodnight."

That's when the bear finally fully accepted that she is very much in love with her best friend, who happens to be a girl, who also happens to have friendzoned her, and finally, who also happens to be naive about Seulgi's feelings for her. So yeah, Seulgi is very much ed, and Irene might just as very much someday be the death of her.

-

A/N:

Hi to everyone reading! Thanks to all subscribers too! Your comments seriously make my day. :)