The Red String of Fate [1]

The First Step
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Title: The Red String of Fate 

Rating: PG 

Description: 

“Our destinies are decided from birth,” his mother always said, “We have to accept what comes to us in life.”

But he didn’t believe in destiny, in fate.

Cho Kyuhyun, the once uncrowned then reinstated Prince of Seojeol, swore to carve his path in life instead of following his destiny. “This is your destiny, my prince. It is your destiny to take the crown and become king, and right now, I’m so proud of you for following your destiny,” his uncle, Lord Jungho, had said when he decided to leave Baekjo and follow his uncle to Taeryeo to be reinstated. But he wasn’t following destiny; this was the path he decided to take, even if it meant leaving the love of his life behind.

Little did he know that destiny was too hard to refuse, and what was harder to deny, was the red string of fate. 

Inspired by: The song Fate by Lee Sunhee, once sung in collaboration between Kyuhyun and Lee Sunhee 

A/N: My muse insisted on me starting this after I kept listening to Kyuhyun and Lee Sunhee's rendition of Fate (https://vimeo.com/163982484) these few days. This story is set in the old days during the Joseon/Goryeo dynasty, but the names of kingdoms and cities were all made up. Please pardon my lack of knowledge of history, dynasty titles, language and culture - I tried my best without much research. 

p.s. this is not a genderbender fic. 
 

 

 

 

 

 

“Your Highness,” His personal servant, Ryeowook, appeared by his side, relieving him of the heavy bow. “There is enough time for you to take a bath, followed by lunch.” He stopped in the middle of the field, allowing Ryeowook to unstrap the quiver from his back. Seeing his equipment passed on safely to Kangin, he strode away from the archery field, his servant rambling on by his side. “After your meal, you have two hours of History with Tutor Jaejoong, then three hours of War and Strategy with Tutor Yunho.”

 

After three months of returning to the palace, Kyuhyun was getting used to the routine, despite the fatigue and weariness that came along with the never-ending schedule of classes. At the very least, he was adept with History, having read numerous books at the library he once worked at in Baekjo. Perhaps he could impress Jaejoong enough to guarantee an early release before the demanding class with Yunho.

 

Kyuhyun turned the corner, halting as his eyes landed on his third brother, Junsu, walking towards their direction. It seemed his brother was busy in conversation with a man dressed like a Lord, and it would be best if he could avoid a confrontation this early in the day. He didn’t need any after the long archery practice that had his arm throbbing and his fingers bleeding under the thin bandages.

 

Pulling a surprised Ryeowook back round the corner, he asked, “Is there another way back to my quarters?” He looked out at the sun, frowning at the passing time. “Preferably a shortcut.”

 

Ryeowook peeped his head past the corner before retreating swiftly, leading in the other direction with quickened steps. “This way, Your Highness. They are almost here!”

 

Grateful for his understanding servant, he went after, careful to make as little noise as he could with his leaden boots. Fortunately, they rounded another corner without anyone calling out to them, and another two left turns and a crossing of a yard in the hardly navigational palace brought them to a visibly different section. It was a working section, the laundry quarters where the allocated servants plowed through heaps and bundles of cloth each day till their fingers and toes were pruney with moisture.

 

The rows of white sheets hanging in the yard pulled him back into the plaintive past, the precious happiness in his once poverty-stricken life now bittersweet memories he struggled to retain hold of.

 

It brought him back to Baekjo, to Min.  

 

 

 

~~

 

 

 

“Min!” He pushed away some of the sheets blocking his path, darting under others in his search.

 

“Here!” The chirpy response brought a smile to his face, and he doubled his steps towards the source of the voice.

 

“Where?” He called out amusingly, nodding in embarrassment when he suddenly found himself face to face with another lady working at the dye house after avoiding a red cloth still wet with dye.

 

A merry giggle brought him spinning around, finding the cheerful little lady he came visiting almost everyday. Unexpectedly, Min had the outer layer of her hanbok on – light blue on top with a dull, dark blue skirt on the bottom – unlike how she was usually dressed in her white inner clothing with a colorful apron during work.

 

“I finished my work faster than usual and changed before you came!” Min said proudly, tugging at her light pink ribbon she had yet to tie.

 

“I can see,” Kyuhyun answered in mirth, picking up the messy long braid awaiting attention from her owner. “Not fast enough though,” he teased.

 

“Hey!” Min snatched her braid back. “You were early!”

 

“Has it never occurred to you that I always come early so as to catch my pretty little Min in her y, wet inner clothing?” He teased, bursting into a loud laughter when red claimed the lady’s cheeks. Ruffling and messing up the black hair further, he tapped the tip of Min’s nose. “Just kidding.”

 

Min pouted, swatting his hand away. “Stop teasing me.”

 

“Alright, alright.” He dug his cloth bag, producing the paper pinwheel he had spent the past two days perfecting. The bright smile that lit up Min’s face as she received the pinwheel was worth all the work. “Ready for the festival?”

 

“Yes!” Min bounced excitedly, blowing a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter