The Perfect Four [1]

The First Step
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Title: The Perfect Four 

Rating: G

Description: To clear his father's gambling debts that caused his family endless trouble, Sungmin took up the job of a 'personal assistant' to the Young Master of the Cho Residence, home to the Cho family that owned the largest conglomerate in South Korea. The Young Master was known to be an arrogant brat with a bad temper, but Sungmin wasn't one to give in that easily. 

Inspired by/Adapted from: Boys Over Flowers

 

A/N: This was supposed to be more like fluff, but it somehow turned out not so fluffy and serious instead. I would probably end up rewriting this. (And I'm supposed to be on a hiatus to study, but I got way too bored)

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung, are you sure this is really safe?” Sungjin asked for the umpteenth time as they walked out of the small one-room apartment that they lived in.

“Sungjin, we were over this last night, weren’t we?” Sungmin replied patiently, throwing a glance at Secretary Zhou, who was waiting at the car with two other bodyguards. “Besides, we did confirm with the various firms and loan sharks already. Mr. Cho Younghwan kept to his words and paid our debts for us.”

“I know…” Sungjin muttered quietly, fiddling with the bag strap of Sungmin’s duffel bag. “I just don’t like how you’re like selling yourself away.”

“Sungjin,” He called out, trying not to lose his patience with his brother. “For the last time, I’m not selling myself. I’m just working as a move-in personal assistant for his son.”

“I know, I know!” Sungjin raised his voice, before it dropped to a mere whisper. “I just… don’t want you to leave.”

 

Sungmin smiled gently at his little brother, releasing an almost silent sigh. He took his bag from Sungjin, throwing it on the floor as he closed the distance between him and his brother.

 

Me too. Sungmin wanted to say, but he didn’t voice out his words. Though he was reluctant to leave his mother and brother, it was the only way to save their livelihoods – Mr. Cho even promised him a monthly allowance for working at the residence. Wrapping his arms around his brother, he rested his chin on Sungjin’s shoulder. His brother was growing so quickly despite being only fifteen, and Sungmin was sure Sungjin would outgrow him in a few months.

 

“I’ll miss you, Jin.” He whispered by his brother’s ear.

Sungjin finally returned his hug, hands landing on his back. “I’ll miss you too, Ming hyung.”

 

Sungmin pulled away, mustering a smile as bright as possible. “Now, you better take care of Mum and do well for your studies. I’m only going to live in another house; I’m not leaving you two at all.” He lifted two fingers, pointing them towards his own eyes then to Sungjin. It was one of their many shared codes and actions – I’ll be watching you. “I’ll be there when Mum is discharged from the hospital. Don’t… let that man approach Mum again.”

 

Sungmin picked up his bag from the floor, throwing the strap over his head. “I have to go now. They have been waiting.”

“Hyung…” Sungjin called out, but didn’t say anything as he walked together with his brother to the car.

 

 

“Secretary Zhou, I’m sorry to have kept you all waiting.” Sungmin bowed to everyone, making sure his brother did the same from the corner of his eye.

“It’s fine.” Secretary Zhou returned a bow politely. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yes.” Sungmin answered, lifting a hand to Sungjin’s neck. “Take care, dongsaeng. And I swear if I come back to a mess at home, you’re so gonna get it from me.”

Sungjin rolled his eyes. “I know, hyung. Enough nagging already.”

Sungmin laughed lightly at his brother, turning towards the open car door Secretary Zhou was holding for him.

“Call me, hyung.” Sungjin waved, traces of unwillingness at the parting evident on his forced smile.

Sungmin nodded as he got onto the car, silently thankful that the car window was rolled down beforehand by Secretary Zhou. “I will call you tonight after I have settled in.” His gaze was fixed on Sungjin as the car engine revved to life, bringing him towards his new ‘home’.

 

As he forced himself to turn back to the front, he heard Sungjin calling after him from behind. “Hyung! Don’t hesitate to kick some if anyone bullies you!”

He laughed, raising a thumbs-up beside his head to let Sungjin know he heard him through the back windows. As the car turned the corner, Sungmin realized Secretary Zhou was chuckling as well.

 

“Sorry about my brother. He’s a little… crude sometimes.”

“No,” Secretary Zhou smiled gently at him. “He isn’t, compared to the Young Master.”

Sungmin immediately scowled at the information. “He’s a brat, isn’t he?”

Secretary Zhou laughed. “I’ll let you know that nobody dares to tell him off in the residence aside from his father and one other person. Maybe Mr. Cho is right about you being able to put the Young Master in his place.”

Sungmin let his devilish smile slip. “I’ll kick some if necessary.”

“He’s still your Young Master, Sungmin-ssi.” Secretary Zhou reminded with an amused shake of his head.

“Of course, I mean I’ll kick some for my Young Master if necessary.”

“That is comforting to hear.” Secretary Zhou answered, ignoring the sarcasm in Sungmin’s words. “Anyway, I don’t think I formally introduced myself last night. My name is Zhoumi, personal secretary to Mr. Cho.”

Sungmin took Zhoumi’s hand firmly. “Nice to meet you, Secretary Zhou. Thank you for the ride home last night.”

“You’re welcome. The one driving is Shindong and on the right, Hankyung.” Zhoumi introduced, and Hankyung turned his head to give Sungmin a smile as he greeted them both. “They’re bodyguards for the Cho family, so you will seeing them around quite often.”

 

“Hey kid, can I just call you Sungmin?” Shindong grinned at him through the front mirror.

“I can’t really stop you if you want to do that as my elder, Shindong-ssi.”

Shindong broke into a loud laughter. “This kid’s got attitude! Young Master is so damned this time!”

“Damned? Oh, no, I’ll make sure Young Master lives better than ever.” Sungmin said with a cheeky grin.

“I’m sure you will, Sungmin.” Shindong flashed a similar grin at him. “Call me hyung, kid.”

“You sure have a lot of orders, hyung.” Sungmin rolled his eyes.

“Don’t mind him, Sungmin-ssi.” Hankyung spoke up for the first time. “You can call me hyung too, by the way.”

“Me too, Sungmin-ssi.” Zhoumi chirped in.

“Hankyung hyung and Secretary Zhou.” Sungmin greeted.

 

“What unfair treatment is this, Sungmin-ssi?” Zhoumi grabbed his chest in mock hurt, and Sungmin found himself giggling at Zhoumi’s expression. The secretary was so not suited for such comical characters.

“It isn’t unfair. I’m just helping you keep up your professional image in front of everyone.” Sungmin said in an utterly sweet voice that he always used to get favors.

“I’ll take that as a valid reason, Sungmin-ssi. You have your wittiness to thank for.”

Sungmin’s eyes wandered out of the window, deliberately muttering softly under his breath, yet loud enough for everyone to hear. “Oh, Lee Sungmin’s wittiness, did you hear that? Thank you so much~”

 

The car was instantly filled with laughter, mixed along with Sungmin’s own one. Suddenly, this ‘job’ didn’t seem so bad – at least he would enjoy the company of these three.

 

 

 

 

 

~--~

 

 

 

 

 

“Welcome to the Cho Residence. I’m the head butler, Leeteuk.” The butler, dressed in a three-piece suit consisting of a tailcoat, held out his gloved hand to Sungmin after a bow.

Sungmin carefully took the hand, bowing deeply. “My name is Lee Sungmin.”

“I know. We’ve been expecting you.” Leeteuk’s dimples deepened with a smile. “Let’s go in.”

 

“I’m leaving him to you then, Leeteuk-ssi. We need to get back to the company.” Zhoumi cut in.

“Sure, have a good day at work.” Leeteuk bowed, and Sungmin followed.

“Thank you for the ride, Shindong hyung, Hankyung hyung, and… Secretary Zhou.”

Leeteuk threw them a confused glance as Shindong burst into laughter and Zhoumi shook his head with a smile. Shrugging off his curiosity, Leeteuk gestured at Sungmin to follow him.

 

Sungmin looked up at the four-storey building as he walked, marveling at the grand residence of the Cho family, who owned South Korea’s largest conglomerate, Cho Corporation. There was only one word that ran through Sungmin’s mind as he stepped into the receiving area, light reflecting off the multiple chandeliers almost blinding his eyes. 

Rich. Filthy rich.

He looked down at the shining marble floor, wondering if his old pair of white canvas shoes – now grey from the prolonged use – was causing extra work for the maids by leaving dirty marks behind.

Sungmin glanced around curiously, taking in the overly glamorous interior design and furniture, occasionally bowing to the maids and servants who greeted him and Leeteuk. When Leeteuk paused to open the doors to another room, Sungmin almost walked right into his back because he was so enthralled by the glass crystal sculpture sitting at the end of the corridor.

 

 

“How many times must I tell you all this?” A stern voice captured Sungmin’s attention once they entered the room.

 

Sungmin looked towards the voice, catching sight of an old lady with glasses reprimanding a row of five maids with a walking cane in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter