Chapter Five: Why So Cold

Into the light

 

 

 

Hyesun Pov

 

I smiled apologetically …. Under his cold merciless gaze, what else was I supposed to do!

“You were saying?” he questioned as he walked back toward me and I instantly knew my cover was up.

“Aren’t you glad I’m not some stalker! “  I tried jokingly but his face only turned sour at my words.

“ Yet you seem to be enjoying torturing us just the same “ was his snappy comment and I flinched back at the coldness in his voice.

“I didn’t mean … “ I started to defend myself but my words broke down into a sight and I fell quite as I thought back at what I intended and heavily practiced to say …. I had promised myself after the accident that I would never show my face around there ever again and merely the day before that promise still stood, but what made me thoughtlessly break it was this guy reckless act.. And just like that I had to spill the beans just to fix what he did !

“ You should be glad I’m not some random person , I hate to think of what might have  become of you if I was “ I responded ,  finally regaining my composed stance and argument .

“ Yeah right ” he snorted and I had to fight against the argue to stick my tongue out at his righteous attitude .

“ Excuse me  !! “ called the guy from earlier and both of us snapped our headed in his direction having just realized he was still standing there .

“Cheolyong!! “  The despicable Seungho called and I felt sympathy for the apparently younger man when Seungho dark glare shifted to him again .

“ I don’t know  what’s going on  but you two need to chill  “ he cheerfully stated and I unexpectedly ... even to myself chuckle at his words , making both of them turn to me .

“ For real  ? “ Seungho drily questioned , while the one named Cheolyong commented  “ that’s the spirit  ! “

 “ The name Cheolyong , Bang Cheolyong …. But you can just call me Mir “ he went on saying and I barely managed to stifle my next laugh  . I had no idea why I found him funny, maybe I was simply cracking under the pressure and that was the first sign of losing my mind , But I did feel thankful for his presence; at least I had a few more minutes to think of my next move before Seungho kicks him away …. Or worse!

“ Go …. Away “ Seungho, just as expected uttered between clinched teeth’s.

“I just need to ask one thing, then I’ll go “ Mir courageously said and I found myself immediately warming up to him … unlike what I felt toward Seungho, who crossed his arms angrily and I couldn’t entirely tell if it was in simple disapproval or to restrain himself from hitting Mir but he otherwise stayed quite, giving Mir the chance to ask what he wanted.

“How old are you?” came the very serious question and I found myself frowning …. Was he putting his life on the line so he can ask about my age!

“What? “

“How old are you? “ Mir repeated.

“Umm … 22 “

“What month? “ he quizzed ,  his words so fast and bouncy that it took me a minute to fully understand it.

“November … “I hesitantly answered, feeling completely weirded out.

“November 1990?  … Ah friend! “ He joyfully declared and I smiled widely back at him, finally understanding what’s the whole conversation was about.

That’s until Seungho harshly interrupted “no you’re not! “  Then turned to me and repeated “ he’s not, he’s not an early 91er “

“But .. “ Mir disappointedly protested , his face suddenly pouting and this time I didn’t hold back on my hateful expression toward Seungho,  I honestly didn’t care much about titles or etiquettes , however  I did understand and respect that others do  …. But in the case of Seungho he seemed to be doing it just to be mean .

“I don’t mind ! “ I stubbornly said , earning a furious glare from Seungho and a broad grin from Mir .

“ It’s ok ,  I don’t mind calling you Noona ,  that’s if I can ? “ Mir hopefully requested and only then did it  cross my mind that he might be hitting on me …. Was he ?

“ sure “ I  replied never the less ... it wasn’t like he will ever get to say it or even see me  ever again , not if the rest of the conversation went the way I see it.

 

 

 

 

```````````````````````````````````````````````````

 

 

My plan of harmlessly going in and out was in ruins , all the hope I had that I just might came out of it  with my identity still a secret seemed absurd … now Mir was gone and I had no more reasons to putting off what needed to be done  .

I sighted at the now heavy silence then pushed open my purse and pulled out the worrisome gift Seungho had given my brother  .

“ you should take it back “ I said as I reached out with it ,  holding back my irritation in hope that he would do the same but the silence went on and when I looked up at Seungho I saw his eyes not on my outstretched hand but focusing on the floor .

“ You dropped something ! “ he commented and before I could even glance at it he bent over and picked it up .

My heart trembled in alarm as I realized what it was and I desperately wanted it out of his hands and away from his contemplating eyes …. But I held back , biting my tongue in nerves and after what seemed like an eternity he finally lifted his head to look at me then handed it over .

“ Is that you ? “ he asked referring to the little girl in the middle and I …..  Too absorbed in the photo that landed yet once again in my hands simply nodded , not quite noticing the edge leaving his voice or the softness that caressed his face .

“ You didn’t look anything like Jaesun ! “

His words were playful but it made me yank my eyes of the photo before shoving it back into the purse …. Then bitterly and quite unnecessarily I stated “ that’s not unusual when you have different fathers “.

regret and even greater guilt hit me as soon as my words were out  , it wasn’t like me to ponder on such a thing , let alone say it and when I looked up at Seungho I saw traces of surprise and discomfort  but he recovered quickly and smiled gently down at me before uttering words that speed up my heart.

“He seemed to think the world of you “

I knew better not to take what he said to heart . I mean for God sake he only talked to Jaesun for a little under half an hour but still I was touched by his gesture and found myself smiling back … Our eyes met and I found this calm and dare I say tender look in his eyes more unbearable than the hateful glare and I quickly dropped it.

“I can’t accept this “ I went back to saying, having almost forgotten the tickets I still held in my hand.

“Well …. I didn’t give it to you! “ He remarked, pushing my hand back to my side.

I grimaced, knowing all too well that he would not make it easy on me “I still don’t see how you would think giving a ten year old VIP tickets to your concert … “

“… Fan meeting “ he interrupted.

“ your fan meeting … “ I crossly accepted , hating him all over again when he gave me a smug  - I find you quite entertaining - kind of look. “…. When you’re clearly trying to hide who you are as a good idea?! “

“I gave it to him after I was sure you signed the waiver of responsibility “ Seungho answered confidently , as if the idea of him doing something stupid was illogical .

“But you still risked it ! “

“You also risked coming back here … when you too didn’t want us to know who you are “ he countered.

“But that’s different, I’m compelled to give this back to you while you didn’t have to with Jaesun “

Seungho shook his head in disagreement  , thought a little of his response then answer thoroughly “your little brother has never seen anyone perform on stage …. And before you interrupt “ he added clearly sensing my objection “I know it’s not that unusual for someone his age but he told me he was nervous about his upcoming recital and I thought why not ?  These tickets were meant for my parents but since they rather stay at home I didn’t see any harm in giving them to someone who might actually appreciate them  “  he took in a deep breath then continued “ I gave them to him and from what I could see he was quite happy about them , so let he go or not that’s up to you but I’m not taking them back “

I was stunned to silence … any and every objecting word I came up with sounded childish yet my feelings seemed to be even more so . I knew just how happy Jaesun was about the tickets  yet I had to turn him down and insist on taking them back because unlike this stranger I didn’t know of his worries nor could I have guessed that they were giving out of kindness .

“ don’t think too much “ he went on saying , his voice rich and inviting “ It’s simple , just go and have some fun , also I hope I don’t come off as cocky or anything but we do put on one  hell of a show “ 

I unwillingly smiled at his oh-so –modest expression and almost blared out a yes … but still my reserve held and I uttered a small “ we will see “ .