Chapter Three : Little Brother

Into the light

 

Seungho Pov

 

The wind, strong and merciless beat at his back making him shiver in the rising cold. The jacket, the one he grabbed as he hurried out of the door barely shielded his body … but the changing weather was the least of his worries, while the troublesome events took hold of his every sense.

He turned the corner of the last shop window on the crowded street, ignoring the stares that his hooded figure attracted and into the traffic filed town center. That Friday afternoon drawn its usual heave crowd and he easily strolled between the unmoving cars.

Yang Seungho day off was meant to be spent unwinding in the dorm alone and he was enjoying just that when the damned phone call came.  Bliss turned to dread then to greater rage but when what was needed to be done was asked of him he didn’t hesitated ….

Seungho unnecessary checked his phone for the address he had been sent as he passed Jongno Tower  , he didn’t need to confirm that the boy he now saw was the same one he sought but between scolding Joon and worrying about getting there he haven’t thought of how to approach the kid .

“Ummm, Jaesun?” Seungho hesitantly asked.

The boy, barely ten years of age looked up from where he sat on the stairs, his nose was puffed red and his eyes were almost the same. His crying face, either in relief or confusion went completely blink as he saw him approach.

“I  ... I came to pick you up “Seungho tried explaining but the little boy still didn’t response.

“Your sister couldn’t make it so she called me “

“Noona sent you?”  Jaesun exclaimed in surprise, his voice high and shaky.

“Yeah, why? Who else were you expecting? “He asked in return, the horrified anger he initially felt was long gone but his puzzlement over the situation seemed to only increase.  The kid looked miserable and Seungho felt bewilderment at the person who now held their fate …

“It’s freezing, why didn’t you wait inside? “He gently asked as he walked up the stairs to where the kid sat.

“Teacher Jin doesn’t let us wait in the office, and I don’t like the hallway “Jaesun answered with a shiver and Seungho found him laughing at the little boy cute pout.

“Ashuassi!” Jaesun embarrassingly examined.

“ sorry “ Seungho apologized as he tried to stifle the laugh then added as he took a closer look back at the building “ I still up to this day hate old buildings like this , they’re just scary “ .

“I know “the ten year old strongly agreed then fell quite.

“Ughm “Seungho cleared his throat as he scrambled for words then said “we should get going, your sister is waiting “

A suspiciously looks appeared on Jaesun face as he questioned for the first time his identity “why couldn’t Noona come pick me up? “

“ she … “ Seungho trailed off , Joon had said that the  girl was ok but still telling a young boy who fears empty hallways and cry’s when you’re late that his sister has gotten into an accident , as small as it was , couldn’t be the best idea . 

“I want to talk to her “Jaesun uttered interrupting his thoughts and Seungho was more than happy to comply.

 

`````````````````````````````````````````````

 

“Get in “Seungho said as he opened the front seat door, ease washing over him now that they have reached his car.

“I shouldn’t  ...” the little boy countered nervously.

“What do you mean?”

“I will just set at the back “Jaesun embarrassingly answered, making Seungho that more confused.

“You mean you don’t want to ride upfront? “

“No … I’m just not allowed to “Jaesun mumbled as he headed for the backseat.

“Wait … comes here “Seungho called. he had no idea why he was doing this, all he had to do is drive this weird kid to his equally weird sister and hope she will keep her promise of signing a waiver of responsibility … but the boy just looked too unhappy for him to simple turn a blind eye and beside who doesn’t let a kid that age ride upfront?

“ see here “ he made up ,  putting his hand on top of Jaesun head and then level it to his stomach “ that’s about 1 centimeter above the legal height of riding on the front seat , so according to the republic of Korea you can “

“Ummm, I’m sure there is no such thing “he to Seungho embarrassment retorted, then starting giggling when Seungho face twisted with grimace.

“You think that’s funny? “He called out scoldingly

“Yes “the previously polite Jaesun answered cheerfully and then almost without thinking headed for the still open door and sat in the front seat.

“ smarty pants “ Seungho uttered as he closed the door but found himself laughing as he headed to his side of the car and When both of them were buckled up , Seungho asked another needless question .

“So Jaesun …. What else are you not allowed to do? “

 

``````````````````````````````````````````````

 

 

The smiles planted on their faces started growing dim as they neared the hospital, their previous conversations cut off while their worries reappeared.

“Do you think she’s ok? “ Jaesun asked in small voice and Seungho felt sorry for his new favorite ten year old.

“Yes, I’m sure she’s fine … actually my friend told me she didn’t even want to go to a hospital, they had to drag here “he answered lightly.

“But she’s always like that! “The boy argued in frustration.

“You mean she’s always this hard to handle? “

“No … “he answered seemingly offended, then continued more softly “I mean she never complain or a make a fuss about getting hurt “

Seungho parked the car near the back entrance in silence, how was he supposed to response? Should he comfort the boy? Praise his sister? Or just keep quite!

“Hyung!” came the relived cry to his aid and he looked up to see a weary looking Cheondoong heading their way.

“Let’s get out Jaesun, your sister must be anxious to see you “Seungho said as he stepped out himself.

“Hyung, there’re here “Cheondoong called the still unseen Joon.

“I’m sorry “Was the only reply from the shadows.

Seungho sighted heavily at the obvious sorrow in Joon’s voice “Changsun just come out “

“You have to understand that I’m sorry, I couldn’t …. “The voice trailed off.

“It was an accident, it happens … now come out so we can fix this “he supportingly called out then addressed Cheondoong “why are you two outside? “

“She thought it would be better if we’re not seen “

Seungho frowned at the answer while panic started sitting in “she knows?”

“No  ...” Cheondoong hastily answered then stopped to think of it for a second “I don’t think …. No, she just doesn’t want this to get out for her own reasons, she told the doctor she fell down “

“But she’s getting a full checkup, right?”

“Yes, I checked and she also signed the waiver “Cheondoong to his relieve added.

“Can I see Noona now? “The forgotten Jaesun called to them and both Seungho and Cheondoong smiled down on him.

“Of course, I will take you inside “Cheondoong sweetly answered and ushered the way.

As they left Seungho moved toward were he thought Joon was, sorting his thoughts into a proper calming speech when Jaesun, just short of entering the building looked back at him and called

 “I’ll see you there Ashuassi !”