House Rules

Through The Facade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sir..." You called after him and he slowed to a stop, giving you an inquiring look. "Yes, Raerin?"

"Hey, sir, I have someone to nominate for singing for the festival..." You suddenly felt tongue-tied, not sure if Kyungsoo would really get furious with you if he knew. 

"Why didn't you say just now?" Your teacher looked confused. 

"He's shy about it... But I personally vouch he's really good... I heard him myself..."

"Who may that be, Raerin-ssi?"

You took a deep breath. "Do Kyungsoo."

Your teacher took a double take. "School President?" He seemed extremely surprised and highly doubtful of your request. "Raerin, are you sure? Our school has had four such festivals before already and there was no mention of Kyungsoo-ssi singing."

"You'll only believe me when you hear him! He's really good." You said pleadingly, with a touch of sheepishfulness because it seemed improbable for the new girl to get to know Kyungsoo when she'd been around only for one week. 

"Now that you mentioned it, Raerin-ssi, the festival has a singing competition component with our rival school, Shinji Academy. Every year, we have to send 3 of our students to represent."

"Our best male singers are Chen from Class F and Baekhyun from Class B. The rest of our school singers are good as well, but just not on the same vocal range as these two. Last year, our male team lost to Shinji Academy - their vocal group is called K.R.Y and they best us no matter who is the third singer we send." Your teacher sighed and shaked his head despondently. "It is the only failure of our institution. We do need excellent male vocal powerhouses."

Wow, even your teacher was so passionate about the arts scene amongst schools, the school spirit must be very strong! You suddenly felt an urge to save the school from that failure - but first you had to hear how K.R.Y was as a group. And Baekhyun was the guy that Chanyeol mentioned to you... wasn't he a mega flirt? Oh well, you guess he was talented too then!

"I don't know how good K.R.Y are, sungsaenim." You admitted matter-of-factly. "But I'll do my best to persuade Kyungsoo to be open with his singing ability."

"Oh, Raerin, since you're an emcee, together with Chanyeol, you'll be in the organising committee led by Kyungsoo. You can ask Chanyeol about how the school festival procedures go, but basically, your first task as a committee will be to review the auditions."

"Auditions? Isn't everyone automatically in?" You wondered out loud.

"Well, I can't really call them auditions... They're more like showcases, a quality check for the committee. The next class is coming up soon, you should rush off now, Raerin." Your teacher reminded you kindly and you jumped in realisation, totally not adjusted to the homeroom system.

You realised everyone had left homeroom already except - a warm rush of affection washed over you - Chanyeol.

He immediately looked over to you as you bade goodbye to your teacher and gave you a cheery grin. He was at your table and flipping through your schedule book. 

"I checked your schedule. We share the next class, and the class after that! Aren't we fated, Rae?" Chanyeol's eyes twinkled.

"Oh wow, that's great!" You smiled back genuinely. You were grateful for him, definitely, if not you would be walking around school alone in a daze.

You just couldn't help looking over at Kyungsoo's table and feeling a pang of bitterness.

Of course he couldn't wait for you. He was after all, busy Mr School President, you thought to yourself as you dismissed your negative, self-indulgent thoughts.

-

Kyungsoo didn't make plans with you to walk back to the dorm but since he hadn't given you another set of keys, you had to find him if you wanted to go home.

The thing was, you didn't have his number as well. You didn't have any inkling of where he would be after your last class ended. You sighed as the bell rang and you packed your belongings to leave.

"Raerae!"

You spun around to see Chanyeol hurtling towards you, his long leggy frame taking on the speed of light and you chuckled, half amused at that ridiculous sight of people moving out of the way quickly to avoid being hit by Chanyeol-rricane and half delighted to be rekindled with familiarity in the bleak, lonely school halls. Most of your classes you had with your homeroom, but today was a bad day because only one class with your homeroom and everyone had their own friends in the other homerooms. As a natural instinct, you hid somewhere around in the back of the class. You loved talking and getting to know people, but not when you were the new girl. Everything was so new and foreign.

"How did you find me?" 

Chanyeol waved his phone triumphantly. An image

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter