CHAPTER 1

It's Alright
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s a bright sunny day in the summer, however, power is out and everyone is dripping down with sweat. While waiting for the power to go back in the neighborhood, everyone decided to stay outdoors, under the shade while feeling the warm windy breeze smelling the scent of the dried grass.

“You’re the air I breath,  your name’s transcribed in my heart. The only one, my one and only, you… If you stay with me forever, I’ll take you to places beyond your imaginations. My only one, my one and only, you…”

With that voice, Jaejoong could probably make it sound alive. He has that strong rocky voice which doesn’t really match his face. He’d pass as a girl if he dressed like one. He’s my one and only best friend since his family moved here in Ilsan about 15 years ago. Well we did not really become friends at first; in fact we hated each other. I thought he was too pretty, and it irked me to look at him. I’d and he’d tease me back until we ended up pulling one another’s hair. Our parents were embarrassed that they’d try to keep us away from one another. But when middle school came, we had to be in the same class. We avoided each other because he had his own circle of friends. I had my own friends and music. Music was one thing we had in common, his amazing voice and my rock music became a perfect match. By the end of middle school, we had to make a band to represent our school, that’s when we started to have long conversations.

“Kim Jaejoong! How many times do I have to tell you that those are not the right notes!” I yelled out.

“Then you sing this then.” He smirked while our endless death glares kept going on.

The whole school thought that the band will be ruined with our constant arguments. But it somehow ended up really well. We won 1st place and that’s when our band became official. It’s Jaejoong, Chanyeol, Krystal, Sanghyun, my little brother and I. We are all of the same age except for my brother who is 2 years younger than me and Chanyeol who is also the same age as him.  We called ourselves Rocky Road, because it somehow represented deeper meanings. Our appearance on stage is totally different because of our style, and the vibe that comes with it. Some say that we are really unapproachable and distant with other people, well not really. Our band came together as a recommendation made by our school’s Arts and Music Director, Madam Park. We were extremely awkward with one another but then, in the end we ended up working things out.

“Doesn’t it sound nice?” I asked while tuning my guitar. I eyed my best friend who was walking back and forth under the maple tree.

While holding on to the paper, he bit his lip, anxious about what to do. “It’s too… girly!” he exclaimed feeling stressed about the new song we had been making together for the band. “The director expects more than this…”

I sighed turning my attention towards my worried best friend, “Geez, how does that sound girly? With the right beat you can make it sound like you.” I said while I started to play the tune. I already memorized most of it, but I still need to make it sound better.

While waiting for the right moment, Jaejoong began to sing along. The rhythm was fantastic especially with the way Jaejoong made it sound with his acoustic voice. I played my part on the guitar harmonizing with his voice. It sounded great, our partnership is definitely one of a kind. I started to back his singing with a low tone, “the only one, my one and only, you…” we smiled to one another after reaching that satisfaction moment.

“That was really good!” out of nowhere, mom says out loud. I see her coming inside the gates. “Jaejoong-ah, you’re really the best.” she complemented, she barely complements my work but I know she’s proud about what I do. She does not stop me from the decisions I make in life and in my music. She wanted to me to play the piano but I was connected to the guitar and song writing more than the piano. My little brother played the piano instead. His skills could have improved but then he liked to lay low on the piano while he’s on his last year of high school. He said he’s planning to attend the same WangGuk University with Jaejoong and I.

“Umma!” Jaejoong rushed to my mom’s side without any hesitation. He grabbed on to the groceries. We call regard each other’s parents like our own. It somehow ended up that way around high school. My mother is a full time school teacher and also the head of the Science department at our high school before. She’s hardcore when it comes to use getting good grades. She made sure we knew how to balance our time with music and getting education.

While they all went inside I just sat on the bench still clinging on to my guitar. I watched both of them go inside the house. “Yah! Did you make rice?!” my mom yells out.

“Aish… I forgot.” I had forgotten to do my chores after Jaejoong came all of a sudden without warning. “I’m coming.” I quickly ran inside to the kitchen where the rest of them where.

-

Like family, Jaejoong had lunch with us, along with my father, and my younger brother Sanghyun. We all had cold noodles on the dining table, “Jaejoong-ah, how’s your mother?” mom asked.

“Oh, she’s still in Hong Kong, she’ll be back next week.” He answered.

“I had a lot of kimchi made, take some before you go home today.” Mom insisted.

“Thank you!” Jaejoong says enthusiastically.

I was on my phone looking at Instagram photos that I put up for the band. Our band had 200k followers. Slowly we get at least a thousand followers a week. I also get cautious of what pictures to put because of some people who dislike us. People try to find a reason to lash on us. “Put that away, we’re on the dinner table.” Dad s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter