One.

A blessing in disguise, you could say (Discontinued)

Hyukjae swirled the silver pen round and round, eyebrows bushed together. He had been eyeing the same photograph for half an hour, trying to decipher every little detail, every hint or message within. The image itself was none the complex - just a run down Mercedes in an abondoned alleyway of which the detective had already found the location. Still, something was surely missing and until he found out what, the detective knew he wasn't going anywhere. Even if that meant ignoring the twenty missed call signs lighting up the cell-phone beside him at his desk. 

 

Donghae was beyond pissed. 

First of all, he'd been ing shipped off to a city he knew nada about to live with some old cop whose name he'd even forgotten by now. And now the old hag wasn't even answering his calls?! In a moment of anger and frustration, he speed-dialed his er of a brother who'd betrayed him, even if he was too angry to return the one-hundred texts his brother had sent since he'd arrived from the train-station. 

"Donghae-ah, why haven't you been answering. I was worried sick." 

Donghae tsked, spitting onto the concrete floor. It earned him disapproving looks but he didn't really give much of a . "The man you sent me to live with isn't here, Donghwa. And he's not answering his freaking phone, either," Hae hissed into his outdated blackberry. 

The line grew silent for a moment, before Donghwa was yelling his wife's name, demanding her to come downstairs Donghae figured. Then his brother was telling him to calm down, stay at the train station and that he'd call back once he'd gotten in touch with Lee Hyunjae, or whatever the er's name was. Donghae didn't care, he just hung up without another word. 

 

The lipstick on the side of the car. It was the small but extremely important detail Hyukjae had almost missed. Their current suspect wouldn't fit into the equation anymore - it had to be a woman. With a satisfied sigh, Hyukjae finally turned over his cell-phone, only to groan. 

Forty-seven missed calls, ten voice-mails and over one-hundred texts. His right eye twitched in annoyance as he dialed the most prominent number, his sister's. 

"Hello." 

"Yah, Lee Hyukjae you son of a ." 

The detective rolled his eyes. "Hello to you too, Sora." 

"That's Noona to you, punk." She barked. "All these frivolous matters aside, where the are you? You're supposed to be picking my brother-in-law from the train-station today! He's been waiting for fifteen freaking minutes, you irresponsible adult. How could you -" 

Sora's speech didn't end, but the call did. Hyukjae flung up from his seat, facepalming. He'd completely forgotten the little punk was coming today. Worst of all, the train-station was about forty-five minutes from his department office! 

The detective cussed loudly, grabbed a windbreaker and rushed out. 

 

Donghae had found a vacant bench to sit on. Piling his two bags under his feet, he pulled out two explicit manhwas. With a boyish smirk, he began reading - though it's amazing how little words there were on each page and despite that, the boy still spent a significant amount of time on each one. 

Donghae was getting to the good part, the rare thriller action in manhwas. The author was a man, hence the well-drawn action scenes the boy liked so much. The mafia dons were being chased by the nuisance cops. Donghae in his bottom lip, anticipating the next scene. The cops were almost on them, he gasped slightly. His thin fingers reached over to turn the next page, the suspense agonizing. He just had to know, damnit. Just when his eyes landed on the next page, he felt the book being taken out of his grasp with force. 

"What the ?" Hae cried out on reflex, looking up angrily. 

The man just stared back, eyes calmer than a frozen sea. "I didn't know they made in paper. Interesting." 

Donghae's eyes turned furious. "Give it back before I pummel you."

The man chuckled. "Pummel me, you say? Give it a go, little boy." 

"Little boy," Hae muttered, scoffing. "I'll show you a little boy." He said, fist clenching. Without warning, he swung with force. 

Only, it never reached the man. He'd ducked to the side with expertice, sending Hae flying ahead instead. 

"You sure showed me a little boy," the man mocked, leaning down to pick up Donghae's bags. Hae recovered quickly, scowling as he slapped the man's hands away. 

"What do you think you're doing, ?" 

The man's eyes pierced into Hae's own, alarming him. They were so dark, yet, so cold. Like black ice. 

"Be careful who you call ." He spoke lowly, taking Hae's hand off his own. Hae winced when he felt the undeniable pressure on his wrist. "Especially since I'll be the one feeding you, housing you and funding you for the next year and half." 

Donghae frowned. Then he frowned harder - finally realizing the situation. He blinked. 

"L-Lee Hyunjae? I thought you were an old man." 

 

__________________________________________________________

A/N: Hi there! =) Sorry for the wait - writing the first chapter is always the toughest for me. 

To anyone who hasn't read any of my other fics before, I'll just warn you that I do have a lot of unfinished fics already/ guilty. Hence, I do not know when I will update next or when I will finish this.  Also, I do tend to curse a lot in rl AND in my fics though my characters. That means if you are uncomfortable or still not at the age, this would be the time to exit the scene. You will be missed! 

Other than that, whoever is still reading this kamsamnida! You da real MVP. (please comment, pretty please with a Hyuk on top ^_-)