Starting Anew

Love After Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, Park Shin Hye woke up an hour earlier than usual to prepare to work. Yuri has taken her car yesterday and now she has to take a taxi to the hospital. Since Min Ho left last night, she had been crying in the room and she doesn’t even remember when she fell asleep. When she woke up this morning, her eyes were swollen and red. She doesn’t want Yeo Jin to see her like this. Or to be exact, she doesn’t know how to answer her daughter on why wasn’t Min Ho at home already. He promised to send her to the hospital this morning and if Yeo Jin doesn’t see her father, she will ask hundreds and thousands of questions, which she doesn’t know how to answer.

So, she chose not to continue with her sleep and prepared to go to work earlier before Yeo Jin woke up. By the time she was ready to leave, Kim Sung Mi has already arrived the apartment and without the need to ask, the older woman can sense something is wrong with her. Shin Hye’s eyes have showed everything.

“Good morning, ahjuhma.” Shin Hye greeted her with a weak smile.

“Good morning, samo-nim.” Kim Sung Mi smiled back and looked at her with a wary gaze. “Why did you wake up so early? It’s only 7am now. You are an hour early.”

Shin Hye averted her gaze to avoid her eyes and let out a soft, breathy sigh. “I need to take a taxi to hospital today. It’s usually a lot of people at the taxi stand if I go out at the normal time. So it’s better to go earlier.”

“Taxi?” Kim Sung Mi raised her brows. “Why do you need to take a taxi today? Where is your car?”

“I’ve lend it to Yuri.” Shin Hye paused, looking at Kim Sung Mi’s confused expression reminds her that she doesn’t know about the incident last night. She let out another deep sigh. “My father was admitted to the hospital due to minor last night and… oppa came to hospital to pick me up. And my car… I lend it to Yuri.”

“Eo…” Kim Sung Mi nodded as her eyes shifted to the leftover dishes on the dining table. She smiled. Min Ho did come back last night. “Yeo Jin must be very happy yesterday. Doryeonim came back to celebrate her birthday.”

“She was.” Shin Hye forced a smile and quickly changed the subject. “By the way, ahjuhma… can you please help me to send Yeo Jin to her kindergarten today?”

“Of course.” Kim Sung Mmi turned back and looked at Shin Hye with a smile. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of her.”

Shin Hye nodded as she held her head down, smile slowly vanished from her face. Kim Sung Mi immediately noticed her sad expression and took a step closer to her. “Samo-nim… are you okay? You… don’t look happy. Do you want to talk about it?”

Shin Hye held the older woman’s eyes and bit her lip at the same time. It must be very obvious if even Kim Sung Mi can sense it. “I’m fine.”

There was a moment of silence before Kim Sung Mi nodded her head slowly. She said she is fine. It means she is not ready to talk about it yet. She doesn’t want to force her. “Give me ten minutes. I’ll make something quick for you to eat. You can’t skip your breakfast. You have to stay healthy in order to help the kids to be healthy.”

“Thank you.” Shin Hye let out a small smile of appreciation, appreciates her for not pushing her to talk further. She is really not in the mood to talk about last night now.

 

~~~~~

 

Thirty minutes after Shin Hye left, Kim Sung Mi continued to prepare breakfast and lunchbox for Yeo Jin before she wakes up later. At this moment, the sound of a door opened suddenly filled the silence. Kim Sung Mi quickly washed her hands and came out from the kitchen to check. She thought Shin Hye left something and came back to take. But she was wrong.

“Doryeonim?” Her eyes grew wide in surprise to see Min Ho walking into the living room. “H-How… how come you are back at this hour?”

Min Ho looked at the older woman as he cleared his throat, trying to sound cold and not showing any concern. “Shin Hye’s friend took her car. Since… I was around this area, I came back to send her to the hospital.” He said and took a quick glance around the apartment before looking back at Kim Sung Mi. “Where is she? Still sleeping?”

Kim Sung Mi shook her head. “Samo-nim left already.”

“What?” Min Ho almost shouted as his eyes widened. “She left already? When? How?”

“Yes. She left about thirty minutes ago. She said she will take a taxi to the hospital.” Kim Sung Mi replied as she looked at him for a moment before asking him again in a cautious tone. “Did you… tell her that you are coming back to fetch her?”

“I…” Min Ho paused and looked away. A deep and heavy breath exhaled from his lip. Frustration and disappointment strike at him and it makes him angry. Is she deaf or stupid? He already told her that he will send her to work this morning and she should understand him well that he will not break his promise. Why did she still go off alone without waiting for him to come back?

Yes, he admit that he was very angry with what she said to him last night. But it doesn’t mean he will not keep his words and not come back today. To be frank, he doesn’t know what has got into him lately. In the past, he always masked his emotions and deceived people with his ice-cold expression. But now, everything she did and said will easily provoke him.

After their heated conversation last night, he impulsively walked out from the apartment and went back to his office. He thought using his work could distract his attention and frustration, but it was completely useless. He didn’t sleep for the whole night even after the whole incident and the tiring trip from Shanghai. For the first time in so many years, he felt so affected by this woman. He kept telling himself that everything was because of Yeo Jin and it has nothing to do with Shin Hye, but no matter how he tried to convince himself, he still couldn’t push the uneasy feeling away. So, when the sun rises in the morning, he quickly rushed back, thinking to send Yeo Jin to school together before sending her to the hospital.

But now… this annoying woman…

“Doryeonim…”

Min Ho looked at Kim Sung Mi when she spoke again, interupting him from his deep thoughts.

“Is… everything okay with you and samo-nim? She… she looked pale and tired this morning. Her eyes were red and swollen.” Kim Sung Mi said again. She knows she shouldn’t say too much, but she felt unfair for Shin Hye too. At least… he should know how much Shin Hye has suffered because of him.

Red and swollen? Min Ho’s chest tightened and a pang of guilt shoot through his heart the moment he heard what Kim Sung Mi said. And then, Shin Hye’s voice suddenly rang in her ears like she was right beside him.

“We have been married for seven years. All this while, have you ever treat this as your home? You come and go as you wish. When have you ever acknowledge me as your wife? And when have you ever fulfil your responsibility as a father? Don’t you think it’s very unfair to Yeo Jin and me?”

Min Ho clenched his jaw, a flurry of emotions washed over him. Last night… he was too shock and couldn’t bring himself to react in a sudden when she said the word ‘divorce’. He didn’t mean to use those hurtful words to fight her back, but it was too late when he regretted it. Those words already slipped out from his mouth and he was already walked out from the apartment when he got his senses back.

“I think…” Min Ho looked back at Kim Sung Mi as he spoke, sounded embarrassed. “… she is just tired. Her father is in the hospital and she must be worried.”

Kim Sung Mi nodded her head softly. “Maybe.” She then took a step closer to Min Ho, hesitated for a moment before she decided to say what she wanted to tell him. “Doryeonim, I know… I’m just a maid and not in any position to say anything.”

Min Ho inhaled deeply. “Ahjuhma, you know I never treat you as a maid. You watch me grow up from a kid and take care of me like your own son. You definitely have the right and in the right position to say anything.”

“Thank you.” Kim Sung Mi smiled at his kind words. “I’m very happy that you didn’t treat me like an outsider. But if you could treat me so kindly, I wonder why can’t you treat samo-nim with the same kindness?”

There was a short silence between them before the older woman continued again. “I know exactly how it feels to be forced into a marriage against your will. In our time, we don’t have the freedom to choose whom we like and whom we want to marry. Our parents are the one who decide our marriage. I don’t even know who my husband is until I met him for the first time on my wedding day. We don’t know each other, we don’t understand each other and we don’t like each other either.” She paused and looked up at Min Ho with a smile. “But look at us now. We have been married for more than thirty years and we have three children. Although we are not rich and still have to work hard for our living, but we are happy. I love my husband and he love me too. All this doesn’t happen because of miracle. It happens because we tried and work hard together. We gave time and gave each other a chance to know each other, to love each other.”

Min Ho understand what she was trying to tell him as he carefully considered her words.

“Seven years is not a short time, especially for a woman. Samo-nim has always been alone and I witnessed how she struggled and fought alone all these years. She has to study, she has to work, she has to take care of Yeo Jin and… she has to fulfil her responsibility as a daughter, a daughter in-law and a wife… all by herself. Although she never complain a single word, but deep inside of her, I know she is embracing all the pain alone.” Kim Sung Mi paused again, exhaling a long breathy sigh. “She is just a woman. No matter how strong she is, there is always a weak spot inside of her. She needs a shoulder to lie on when she feel tired.”

A shoulder to lie on…

Min Ho held her gaze as his mind drifted back to the night when he came back four years ago. It was Dae Hyun’s funeral and he was very sad. For the first time at that night he wanted to stop being strong and find a shoulder to lie on. He is a man and he has a weak moment too. And Shin Hye… she was there with him, staying by his side and supporting him. In a sudden, he felt that what she said last night was true. He came and go as his wish, he never tried to ask or care what happened here at home when he was not around. She bears all the responsibilities alone. He is... indeed very selfish.

Kim Sung Mi stared at Min Ho for a while before she gave his arm a comfort squeeze. “Doryeonim is a smart guy. I’m sure you will understand and know what to do next.”

What to do next? What should he do next? After what have happened between them all these years, could it still be possible for him to put his ego aside and… and try to start all over again? Can they really forget about the past and… start anew? Then… what about Soo Young, what about Dae Hyun? He can’t and will not leave them alone.

“Appa!”

Yeo Jin’s voice suddenly filled the room and shook him off from his deep thoughts. A smile quickly spread across his face when he saw Yeo Jin running towards him as he quickly squatted down with his arms opened before she threw her tiny body into his embrace.    

Kim Sung Mi smiled looking at them. It would be perfect if Shin Hye is here too.

Yeo Jin pulled back a little to looked at her father. “Appa, good morning.”

“Good morning.” Min Ho smiled.

“Appa wake up so early today. Yeo Jin was still worried that appa already left to work when I woke up just now.” She said again with an adorable smile.

The smile on Min Ho’s face became awkward as embarrassment swelled in him. She was asleep last night and didn’t know he has left and just came back again in the morning.

Yeo Jin glanced around the apartment before looking back at Min Ho again. “Where is eomma?” She paused and looked up at Kim Sung Mi. “Ahjuhma, is eomma still sleeping? She is a lazy pig. Let Yeo Jin go in to wake her up.”

As she wanted to pull away from Min Ho and go to Shin Hye’s room, Min Ho grabbed her hand and stopped her. “Eomma… left early today.”

“What?” Yeo Jin asked with her eyes growing big.

“There is something urgent that she need to take care in the hospital.” He lied.

“Ah…” Yeo Jin pouted her lips slightly, disappointment evident on her tiny little face. “Appa…”

“Yes?” Min Ho looked at her.

“Will you… come back again tonight?” She asked expectantly with a very cautious tone. Her mother taught her not to be a greedy person, but she really hope to see her father every day.

Min Ho reached out to her soft hair as he let out a smile. “Do you want to see me at home tonight?”

Yeo Jin nodded her head vigorously. “Yeo Jin want to see appa at home every night.”

Min Ho laughed as his fingers slowly moved to her face and caressed her chubby cheeks. “Appa cannot promise you that I’ll come home every day, but I’ll try my best to lessen my workload and come home as often as I can, okay?”

Yeo Jin smiled happily and nodded again. “Okay.”

“Yeo Jin…” Kim Sung Mi cuts in. “It’s not early now. You have to brush your teeth, changed your uniform and quickly come out to take your breakfast.”

“Yes.” Min Ho looked at his daughter with another smile. “Appa will send you to your kindergarten after you finish your breakfast.”

“Chincha?” Yeo Jin asked with her eyes widened in shock. Kim Sung Mi also turned to stare at Min Ho in surprise.

“But doryeonim… you are so busy and I can send…”

“It’s okay, ahjuhma. I’ll send her today.” Min Ho cut her off as he looked up at her. “Like what you said, I should put more efforts in this home and fulfil my responsibility, right?” He let out a smile of appreciation. Maybe she is right. It’s about time he learn to be a responsible father… or maybe… a responsible husband too.

Kim Sung Mi returned the smile and nodded her head softly.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Shin Hye paid the taxi driver and thank him before she opened the door and got down from the taxi. As she walked towards the hospital main entrance, her phone rang. She took it out from her bag and answered the call when she saw Yuri’s name on the screen.

“Yoboseyo…”

“Where are you?”

“I’m at the main entrance.” Shin Hye replied as she entered the hospital lobby at the same time. “Wae?”

“Main entrance? What are you doing there?”

“What can I do in the hospital?” She laughed at her silly question. “Of course I came here to work.”

“I know. I mean… why did you come here so early? You start work at 9am. It’s only 8am now.”

Shin Hye stopped walking and inhaled deeply. She can foresee a big fuss from her best friend after hearing what she is about to say. “I don’t want to be late. I… I came with a taxi.”

“What?! Taxi?! Where is Lee Min Ho?! I thought he said he would send you to work today.”

Shin Hye closed her eyes and immediately pulled her phone slightly away from her ears. Yuri’s loud and sharp voice pierced straight into her eardrum.

“Shin Hye… are you there? Park Shin Hye!”

“I’m here.” Shin Hye opened her eyes again and replied. “For god sake, can you please stop shouting? You almost ruptured my eardrum.”

“That idiot didn’t send you? He promised to send you here last night. What happened?”

Shin Hye heaved a deep, breathy sigh. “Long story.”

“I have time for your long story. And where are you again? Main entrance? Give me five minutes. I’ll come to look for you.”

Shin Hye raised her brows. “What is the rush? I’m coming up to my office anyway. We can talk…”

“No. We have to talk in somewhere… private. I have…”

There was a brief silence before Yuri spoke again with hesitance laced in her voice.

“I have… I have something important to tell you.”

“Tell me what?” Shin Hye asked as she started to worry after hearing the tone of her voice.

“Just wait for me there. I’ll come now.”

 

~~~~~

 

10 minutes later…

Hospital garden…

 

“Caramel mocha frappucino.” Yuri handed the cup to Shin Hye after she sat down on the bench beside her. Her eyes didn’t look at her and her voice sounded strange. She looks like she was trying to avoid her gaze.

Shin Hye took the cup and put it at the side before staring intently at her face. She is very sure something is not right with her. “Kwon Yuri, let’s be honest to each other. What’s wrong? What happened?”

Yuri slowly held her chin up and met Shin Hye’s eyes. She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, looking at her guiltily.

“What happened?” Shin Hye asked impatiently as she reached out to hold her hand. Worries rise in her chest.

“I… I’m sorry.” Yuri finally opened to speak. “Last night… last night when I drove your car back home… I… I crashed your car into a lamppost.”

Shin Hye’s eyes widened. “Crashed into a lamppost?” She repeated her words as her eyes quickly scanned around Yuri’s body and checked. “Are you okay? Did you hurt anywhere?”

Yuri shook her head. “No. I’m perfectly fine. B-But…”

“But what?” Shin Hye asked anxiously.

“But… your car. The hood was dented, the front bumper came off, and… one of the headlights was… broken.” Yuri replied as she held her face low, afraid to look at her friend’s reaction.

Shin Hye parted her lips in a small ‘O’, no word could form in and she suddenly became speechless. She just continued to stare at her with a disbelief gaze.

“W-Wow…” is the only word she could say.

“I’m sorry.” Yuri apologized. “It was very dark at night and… and it has been a long time since I last drive. I was so scared and… and I got confused with the pedals. I think… I accidentally stepped on the gas pedal instead of the brake pedal.”

Shin Hye sighed softly before she let out a relief smile. “It’s okay. Most importantly you are fine and not injured. As for the car… I’ll just send it to the workshop.”

Yuri quickly held both her hands up and smiled embarrassedly at her. “Don’t worry about it. I’ve already send your car to a very reliable workshop. I’ll be responsible for all the repair cost.” She then paused and continued again with a wary tone. “But… they need a week to repair it.”

It means Shin Hye has to wake up early and take a taxi for a week. Letting another deep sigh to escape her lips, she shook her head with a helpless smile. “No problem.”

“Thank you so much.” Yuri finally smiled as she took several deep breaths, heaved a sigh of relief before wrapping her arms around Shin Hye and hugged her tightly. “I was so worried that you will be angry with me.”

Shin Hye smiled and gently pulled away from her. “It’s just a car.” She said before bringing her hand to Yuri’s face and pinched her nose playfully. “And you are my best friend. I won’t be angry with you because of a broken car.”

Yuri beamed at her, but when she saw her tired and swollen eyes, the smile on her face vanished. “Yah, you still owe me your long story. What happened? Why didn’t that idiot send you to work today?”

Averting her gaze as she turned away from Yuri, Shin Hye grabbed the coffee that Yuri bought for her and took a big sip. “We had a fight last night.”

“Fight?” Yuri raised her brows, looking at her curiously. “The Park Shin Hye I know doesn’t fight.”

Shin Hye smiled weakly. “I think… I said something that hurt his pride.” He must be angry because he never thought she would be the one who say the word ‘divorce’. He might be waiting for the moment to say it to her first.

“Like what?” Yuri asked again.

Like… she complained that he is not a responsible father, he never acknowledge her as his wife, and… he is not being fair to her.

“Fair? You want to talk about fairness with me? Who was the one who told me that she would not married a man who doesn’t love and respect her? Who was the one who break her own words and caused all this to happen? At that time, why didn’t you talk about fairness with me?”

Every single word he said to her was still fresh in her mind. He was right. He didn’t force her to marry him. It was her choice, a choice that she made to protect him.

Taking a deep breath, she turned back to Yuri and smiled again. “Can I not talk about it now? I have a surgery to do later and I don’t want to have any distraction.”

Yuri pursed her lips and nodded her head softly. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter