The Past (Part 2)

Love After Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7 years ago…

 

Lee Min Ho?

Park Shin Hye couldn’t help but looked at the young man, who just entered the VIP room with a very shock expression. So… he is Lee Ki Jung’s son, the heir of Lee Corporation.

Daughter in-law. The word keeps ringing in her head, as she couldn’t take her eyes off from him.

Park Shin Hye?

Min Ho remembered her, not her face but her name. She was the girl who helped Soo Young the other day when she was not feeling well in the campus. He couldn’t see her face properly that day because first, he was worried about Soo Young and only put all his attention on her. Secondly, her face was held low for the whole time when he saw her that day.

So… she is the daughter of the new minister that Kyung Ho told them. Taking a clearer and closer look at her today, what Kyung Ho said was right. She was indeed beautiful, different kind of beautiful compared to Soo Young. Her hair is long and straight, fell down her beautiful face, a delicately peculiar nose and perfectly red lips, obviously natural and not coloured with lipstick. Her eyes are as big as Soo Young but there were some unknown emotions that make her gaze looked gentle and soft.

Forcing himself to regain his composure, he averted his eyes as he turned to Park Chi Won and let out a smile. “Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Min Ho imnida.” He bowed politely at him before he reached out to shake his hand. “I’m very sorry to keep Minister Park waiting. The traffic was very bad today.”

Park Chi Won smiled as his eyes were scanning the young man from top to toe. Perfect is the only word he could use to describe Min Ho. Before he came here, he has already done a thorough background check on him and knows how outstanding this young man is. His academic results since primary school till now was impressively good. Although he just finished his final exams and hasn’t graduate yet, but since two years ago, he has already helping his father in his business and was prepared to take over the crown anytime soon. With the high status of Lee Corporation in South Korea and Asia, it could definitely strengthen his position as the new minister if they could maintain a good relationship with each other.

“Don’t worry about it. We just arrived not too long ago.” Park Chi Won let out a satisfactory smile before looking at Lee Ki Jung. “Mr Lee, I really envy you. Look at your son. Both of you have raised him very well.”

Lee Ki Jung and Han Jae Eun laughed, feeling proud and pleased.

“He still needs a lot of guidance from Minister Park. Please take good care of him.” Lee Ki Jung said.

“Of course.” Park Chi Won laughed too. “Min Ho is definitely a good example of the young generation now and the hope for our country.”

“Minister Park is too polite. Min Ho still has a lot to learn.” Han Jae Eun said as she turned to Shin Hye and gave her hand a soft squeeze. “If you ask me, I would prefer to have a daughter like Shin Hye.”

All three of them laughed as Shin Hye’s already flushed cheeks turned a deep shade of red at Han Jae Eun’s compliment. She held her gaze low, taking a deep inhales of breath, trying very hard to calm her trembling heart.

“Don’t stand there, Min Ho. Take a seat.” Park Chi Won said to Min Ho as he pointed at the empty seat at the table.

Min Ho nodded as he walked to the other side and sat down beside his father and right in front of Shin Hye. He took a brief glance at her before he grabbed the glass in front of him and took a small sip.

Although his parents didn’t mention anything to him but he knows what is the reason for tonight’s dinner. As what he knows, Lee Corporation has just bought a land and was planning for a new project that could make a big profit if it is successful. And Park Chi Won, the new Minister of Construction and Transportation is the key to this project. He is the one who has the authority to approve or decline the whole thing. Therefore, it is very important to have a good relationship with Park Chi Won to gain his full support. Besides this project, it will also bring them a lot of advantages in the future.

However, there is one thing that he still couldn’t understand. Why did they bring him and Shin Hye along for this dinner tonight? This is definitely not the first time his father have this kind of business dinner with the government people but he never bring him together before. And this time he even brought his mother along too. Why? What does this project has anything to do with his mother? Dinner… his parents, her parents… could it be…? An uncomfortable, tight feeling suddenly welled up inside him. But… could it be possible? They are both still studying.

 

“I heard your father said that you are studying in Seoul National University.” Park Chi Won asked as they were waiting for their dinner to be served.

Min Ho nodded with a courteous smile. “Yes. I’m in the Faculty of Business and Economics. I just had my final exam and should be graduating end of this year.”

“I’m really happy for you, Mr Lee.” Park Chi Won turned to Lee Ki Jung. “After Min Ho graduate, he can help you in your work and you can finally enjoy life.”

Lee Ki Jung laughed and nodded. “I hope so too.”

“Min Ho-ah…” Han Jae Eun cut in politely, looking at his son. “This is Minister Park’s daughter, Shin Hye.” She paused and turned to Shin Hye with a warm smile. “She just transferred to the medical school in your university three months ago. Have the two of you met each other before in the campus?” She asked, looking at both of them.

There was a moment of silence, no reply or response from either of them. Shin Hye slowly looked up and braved herself to look at the man in front of her. A soft gasp escaped her lips the moment her eyes met his. But instead of replying his mother, he just sit there, staring at her without saying anything. This was the third time she saw him and his expression was still the same… cold and unreadable. Looking at his expression, it doesn’t seem like he want them to know about their earlier encounter.

Taking a deep breath, Shin Hye slowly turned to Han Jae Eun and forced a small smile on her face. It would be rude if she continued to keep quiet and ignore Han Jae Eun’s question. “I think… this is the first time… we met. Since we are in the different faculty, I think…”

“No.”

Min Ho’s deep voice suddenly filled the room and startled Shin Hye as she turned to the front to look at him. She wasn’t sure whether she saw it wrongly or not but his lips were slightly curled up in a small smirk and vanished before anyone could see it.

“We just met three days ago when you were helping one of my friends who was not feeling well. Have you forgotten?” Min Ho paused and let out a soft chuckle, the sarcasm evident in his tone. “Was it because Shin Hye-sshi have a bad memory… or… I’m not impressive enough to give you a deep impression?”

If the motive of this dinner is to bring them together and force him to do something against his will, then to annoy the girl in front of him is the only way to fail their plan. The more he annoyed her, the more she dislikes him. He believes their parents will not be able to do anything if they are not in a good term.

“Min Ho!” Han Jae Eun gave her son a sharp glare before she turned to Shin Hye again and smiled at her apologetically. “Please don’t mind him. He… he is a straightforward person. He doesn’t mean what he said.”

Shin Hye shook her head and let out an embarrassed smile. “I-It was my inattentiveness to… to forget… Min Ho-sshi.” Her voice was quavered, too dumbfounded by what Min Ho said and doesn’t know how to react.

“Of course not. You are still new in the campus. It’s not easy for you to cope with the sudden changes.” Han Jae Eun said, shooting another glare at his son.

Min Ho zipped his lips as he grabbed his glass and took another sip of his drink. A quick sarcastic smirk spread across his face and disappeared before anybody saw it. So… this is the daughter of a minister that everybody are envied and interested? Except for the beautiful face… there is nothing special. He hates this type of girl the most, pretentious and fake, trying to act as a sweet-tempered girl to gain attention and affection from the elders.

When the atmosphere suddenly become quiet, Lee Ki Jung let out an awkward laughter in attempt to lighten the tension. He averted his gaze to Min Ho and glared at him meaningfully. As if understand what is he trying to convey, Min Ho pursed his lips and inhaled a sharp breath. With that meaningful gaze, he is now very sure the reason of his father wanting him to come here tonight.

“I’m sure we are all very hungry. Let’s eat now.” Lee Ki Jung said as he turned to the waiter standing at the side and gave them an instruction to speed up the food.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

After they had finished their dinner, Min Ho just sat there quietly, mindlessly listening to the business conversation between his father and Lee Chi Won while his mother was busy talking to Shin Hye. He doesn’t give much attention to them and just pretend that he is more interested in the subject that the two older men were talking about. He doesn’t want to give his mother any chance to pull him and Shin Hye together.

At around 10pm, after the three torturing hours, Park Chi Won finally said he need to leave now because he is having a meeting tomorrow morning. Both Min Ho and Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh, relieved that they could finally run away from the awkwardness and discomfort.

During the journey back home, Shin Hye was very quiet, looking out the window with her mind drowned in her deep thoughts. Thinking back to the dinner just now, although her head was held low most of the time but she was quietly and secretly studying Min Ho when he didn’t notice. By looking at his behaviour and his gaze when he looked at her, she can clearly sense his dislike… or even disgusted by her. But it’s not even a surprise to her. How could it be possible that a perfect man like him to be attracted by a woman like her? Except for the high status background, the expensive price tag that was labelled on her, she is just a plain, an unattractive woman.

“What do you think about him?”

Park Chi Won’s voice suddenly broke the silence and startled Shin Hye. She turned to her father and looked at him in confusion. “Who?”

“Lee Min Ho.” Park Chi Won said without looking at her.

“He…” Shin Hye bit her lower lip and breathed deeply. “He is a fine young man.”

“Indeed.” Park Chi Won nodded slightly, agreed with her. “But it seems like he doesn’t look at you like the way you look at him.”

Just like one of the idioms that the Chinese used to say, literally draw blood on the first prick. Her father’s words felt like hitting the nail on the head. It must be very obvious that even her father noticed it. But she should be thankful that her father didn’t directly use the words ‘he hates her’.

Taking a deep breath, Shin Hye turned back to the window. “We barely know each other. We just met once in the campus.” To be exact, if he still remembers, it was twice.

Park Chi Won chuckled at her reply. “It doesn’t matter whether he likes you or not.” He paused and looked at Shin Hye for the first time since they got into the car. “Because in the end… you will be his wife.”

Wife?

“Abeoji…” Shin Hye turned to her father and looked at him in shocked. So, it was not her who is being over-sensitive but her guess was right all along. The dinner was meant for a political marriage between her and Lee Min Ho. “As you can see, he doesn’t even like me. He won’t agree with the arrangement. He… he won’t agree to marry me.”

Park Chi Won smirked. “This is not under your concern. You just need to prepare yourself to be Mrs Lee.”

“Abeoji, I’m only 19 years old.” Shin Hye said, her voice trembled with nervousness. Although she likes Lee Min Ho, but it doesn’t mean she want to marry him… yet. And moreover, he might already have a girlfriend. The girl that she helped the other day, the girl whose name Choi Soo Young, she can see how much he care for her. The way he looked at her is different from the way he looked at anybody. “H-How… how can I be married when I’m… still a student? I need to concentrate on my studies…”

“There is no conflict between marriage and studies.” Park Chi Won cut her off. “Even after you are married, you can still continue with your studies.”

“But the man that you want me to marry doesn’t love me.” For the first time, Shin Hye raised her voice and showed her emotions in front of her father. Tears were pooling in her eyes, threatening to escape. “You can see it yourself. Lee Min Ho doesn’t even like me. We don’t know each other and don’t understand each other. How can two strangers get married without even knowing each other?”

Park Chi Won let out another smirk. “It was only the second time I met your mother on our wedding day. But is that mean I don’t love her? The length of time for knowing each other doesn’t determine a happy marriage. Feelings can slowly develop afterward.”

“But…”

“No but!” Park Chi Won cut her off sternly before she could continue. “This subject is not open for discussion and I’m not asking for your permission. I told you this in advance so that you could prepare yourself.” Taking a deep inhale of breath, he turned and faced the window. “Just remember… you don’t have the right to say no. You owe me this.”

Tears uncontrollably rolled down Shin Hye’s cheeks the moment she heard the last sentence. Biting her trembling lip hard, she tried to suppress a sob. “You mean… I owe you because eomma died giving birth to me?”

Park Chi Won closed his eyes as the painful memory replayed in his mind.

“You mean… it was my fault that I lost my mother on the day I was born?” She sobbed softly, her head was held down with tears dripping down on her hands. “Do I have a choice?” She asked again in a soft whisper, but loud enough for Park Chi Won to hear. “If I have a choice… I would rather be the dead one.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

The moment when Min Ho and his parents reached home, Min Ho quickly walked straight to the stairs, wanting to go back to his room as fast as possible. But as expected, before he could even take the first step on the stairs, his father called after him from behind.

“Min Ho.”

A long, breathy sigh escaped Min Ho’s lips as he just stood there without turning around to face his father.

“We have something to discuss with you.” Lee Ki Jung said.

Taking another deep breath, Min Ho slowly turned around to look at him. “About what?”

“Do you remember I told you about the land that we bought in Suncheon?” Lee Ki Jung asked.

Min Ho nodded. “Yes. The land that we bought with multi-million dollar.”

“That’s the one.” Lee Ki Jung said. “Suncheon is a city that focused on green industry development such as solar energy, sustainable garden development and electronic transportation. The reason for us to buy this land is for our new project… the green concept luxury condominium. But for a residential building to build on the commercial land title, we have to get the approval from the government. And the person who have the power to do it… is Park Chi Won.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter