The Past (Part 1)

Love After Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7 years ago…

 

“Good morning, agasshi.”                               

Park Shin Hye smiled and gave her father’s driver a polite nod when the older man greeted her. She then turned to her father, who was already sitting inside the car and bowed respectfully at him.

“Good morning, abeoji.”

Park Chi Won glanced briefly at his daughter before he looked away. “Going to school?”

Shin Hye nodded. “Yes, abeoji.”

“Come in.” Park Chi Won said as he turned back to the front, not taking another look at her anymore. “Since your university is the same way going to my office, I’ll send you.”

There was a moment that Shin Hye couldn’t react and just stood there dumbfounded. Since they moved to Seoul from Daegu after her father was promoted to the position of Minister of Construction and Transportation, this was the first time his father offered to send her to her university.

Shin Hye didn’t let herself to be caught in the shock for too long. With one deep intake of breath, she quickly walked to the other side of the car and climbed inside. She knows his father’s personality very well. He is definitely not a patient man and it’s better not to make him wait.

After the driver make sure that Shin Hye was already inside the car, he start the engine and drove away. During the journey to the university, the atmosphere was very quiet and heavy. Park Chi Won took a file out from his briefcase and put all his attention reading the documents, as if there is no one in the car with him.

Shin Hye looked out the window, her fingers tightly grabbing the handle of her bag as she tried very hard not to get affected by the deafening silence in the car. As she gazed mindlessly at the scenery of the unfamiliar city she had just moved to, her mind slowly drifted to the news she saw in the newspaper yesterday. The article was about an interview between a journalist and her father. Besides all those political questions and answers that she will never be able to understand, the journalist also asked about his personal life, his family.  

In the public eye, Minister Park is a very lovely father who loves his only daughter very much. His wife passed away when she gave birth to their first daughter and since then, he didn’t marry again and just live with his daughter for the past nineteen years. Everyone praised him for his faithfulness and being a very good father. But sadly, what they see in the television, in the newspaper or in the internet… is always different from the reality. In a normal family, sending a daughter to school is just a very usual thing. But for Shin Hye, it’s something rarely happen and almost impossible.

It was indeed true that he is a very loyal and a very faithful husband. He love his wife so much that after nineteen years he still couldn’t forget and forgive the fact that it was Shin Hye, his only daughter who caused his wife’s death. Although he understand that the incident was just an uncontrollable tragedy that no one hope to happen but for him, Shin Hye is still a thorn in his heart. He doesn’t hate her… but he doesn’t love her either.

“How’s your studies going?”

A deep voice suddenly filled the silence as it brought Shin Hye instantly back to the reality and was shook off from her deep thoughts. She turned to her father and stared at him, not sure whether it was really him asking her a question or it’s just a hallucination.

“Can you cope with the new environment?” Park Chi Won asked again and this time his voice is louder than before.

Shin Hye raised her eyebrows, unable to believe that her father is taking the initiative to talk to her. Is he… starting to care for her? Or… he has always cared for her and just doesn’t show it out?

After a few seconds of processing his question, she replied it in a very careful tone. “Hmmm…” She nodded. “Compared to Daegu University, Seoul National University has the best medical school in South Korea. The professors and students are very friendly. They are all very helpful.”

“Good.” Park Chi Won said, his eyes still looking down at the file he was holding. “The President and I will be visiting the university next week. There will be a lot of reporters and I’m sure they will try to ask the people around about you. Make sure the professors love you and have a few good friends around in case the reporters need someone to interview. I don’t want people to think that Minister Park has an arrogant daughter and doesn’t like to mix around with the public. Show them the most friendly and cheerful side of you. Arasso?”

Shin Hye bit her lower lip as she averted her gaze and looked out the window again. A pang of disappointment rose up her chest when she heard what her father said. She laughed silently at herself for being so stupid, thinking that her father might care for her. Asking about her in the school is just to make sure that she won’t do anything that will affect his position as a minister.

When Park Chi Won didn’t get a response from Shin Hye, he looked up from his file and turned to her. “Do you understand what I say?” He asked again in a cold tone.

Taking a deep breath, Shin Hye slowly nodded her head. “Yes.”

“Cancel all the appointments if you happen to have any on this coming Saturday.” Park Chi Won said again as he turned back to look at his documents. “I’m having a dinner with the president of Lee Corporation. You are going with me.”

Lee Corporation? Shin Hye’s brows creased, feeling uncomfortable with the dinner arrangement. This is the first time her father brings her along for this kind of business dinner. It has never happen before in the past.

“Lee Corporation is the largest and most influential construction company in South Korea and top 3 largest in Asia.” Park Chi Won continued. “Lee Ki Jung is the current president of the company. Since I’m the new Minister of Constructions and Transportation, it’s not surprising that he would want to call for this dinner and want to build up a reputation. But I don’t mind. Having a good relationship with him will also give us a lot of advantages too. His status in this industry could strengthen my position as well.”

Give a lot of advantages to us? What does it has to do with her, Shin Hye asked silently. It doesn’t give her any advantage of knowing this kind of people. Bringing her along is only for one reason. Political marriage.

“Okay.” She replied in a deep sigh, agreed to go anyway because it was a command and she cannot say no.

 

After Shin Hye arrived at her university and got down from her father’s car, she just stood at the main gate, watching the car slowly drove away and disappeared out of sight. She slowly let out a smile… a sad smile. This is the life she has been living in for the past nineteen years. A lot of people were envious of her for being born in a rich family and have a ‘high status’ father. But in the reality, she is not as happy as they thought. She was always alone and her life will never be under her own control.

Heaving a deep sigh, she slowly turned around and walked into the compound of the university. But before she could take her first step, a sudden loud shouting voice echoed in her ear and startled her.

“Move! Move!”

There was a cyclist, who was moving very fast towards her direction and was shouting at her. Looking at the anxiousness in his voice, it seemed like the bicycle was having some problem and the cyclist has lost his control.

Shin Hye was completely stunned and froze in place, watching the cyclist heading towards her direction. Just when she thought that the bicycle will hit her and was waiting for the pain to come, she suddenly felt a tight grip wrapped around her wrist and she fell into a pair of strong arms.

Everything happened so fast and the next second when she got back to her senses, she was tightly being held against a hard chest as an unfamiliar clean and fresh scent crept into her nose. She slowly looked up and for a moment, it felt like the world has stopped moving, like someone has stopped the time for her.

It was a man… a young man around her age or maybe… few years older than her. He… he is very handsome. His eyes… he has the most beautiful eyes she has ever seen in her life. She couldn’t explain the feeling she had inside of her now but this is definitely the first time she felt this way. The rate of her heartbeat suddenly rose tremendously and it even makes her breath ragged. Just by looking at him, she felt herself has suddenly become some kind of crazy sasaeng fans who were obsessed with their idol.

“Are you okay?”

Is that his voice? Is he asking her a question?

His voice… is so deep and husky that it sends shivers down her spine. There was this very strong energy in his gaze that she couldn’t take her eyes off of him. It just felt like a magnet that keeps pulling her towards him.

“Hello… can you hear me?” The young man asked again.

And this time, his voice has successfully shook Shin Hye off from her deep dreamy thoughts as she quickly pulled herself away from him, feeling embarrassed when she realized that she was still in his arms.

“I… I’m sorry.” She apologized, holding her gaze down.

The young man looked at her for a brief second before he glanced down at his watch and let out a deep sigh. There is only 10 minutes left before his final exam starts. He has to run if he doesn’t want to be late. Taking another glance at Shin Hye, he didn’t say anything to her anymore and quickly ran away before she could react.

“Hey…” Shin Hye called after him from behind but he ran so fast that he was already out of sight before she could say another word.

“What is your name? And… thank you.” Shin Hye whispered as she looked down at her wrist and caressed it softly. She could still feel the warmth of his touch on her skin.

A small smile slowly curled up onto her lips as she looked up again, replaying his handsome face in her mind. Is this what they called… love at first sight? She believes in it. When she took the first look at him… she knew he was the one and there was no turning back.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yay!” Jung Kyung Ho jumped excitedly as he turned around and looked at his two best friends behind him. “Finally, the exam is over. Let’s plan a trip this coming weekend. I really need a getaway trip to boost up my energy. I’m officially release from the jail!”

Lee Min Ho shook his head, smiling at the young man who jumped like a kid. “Have you forgotten something? It was only the exam for Business School has over. The exam for Faculty of Arts will be next week. Soo Young still needs to study.”

He then turned to the beautiful girl beside him and when he saw her mindless expression, the smile on his face slowly faded. “Soo Young, are you okay?”

“Hur?” Soo Young looked at Min Ho with a confused gaze. “What you say again?”

“Kyung Ho is talking about organizing a getaway trip this weekend. But your exam is on next week, right?” Min Ho asked, looking at her in concern.

“Y-Yes. I don’t think I can make it this weekend.” She replied with a weak smile as she glanced at Kyung Ho, like she was trying to make an eye contact with him but he didn’t notice it.

“Hmmm…” Kyung Ho pursed his lips, disappointment evident on his face. “Then… what about going to Jeju this Saturday? Just a one-day trip. I really need something to relax my mind.”

Min Ho turned to him and shook his head. “I can’t. I have to go to a business dinner with my father this Saturday.”

“What?” Kyung Ho asked with his eyes widened. “Business dinner? You have not even graduated yet. What is the rush?”

“My father wants me to learn as earliest as I can.” Min Ho said. “And the dinner this Saturday is not really a business discussion. We are just meeting the new Minister of Construction and Transportation.”

“That Minister… Park?” Kyung Ho asked.

Min Ho nodded.

“I heard that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter