Deep Disappointment

Love After Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

1 month later…

 

“Appa!”

Lee Min Ho smiled upon hearing the familiar sweet voice as he entered the apartment that he hasn’t been for a while. The tiny and thin figure immediately jumped into his arms once he walked into the living room.

“Appa…”

“Hi, Dae Hyun.” Min Ho scooped up little Dae Hyun in his arms and carried him to the couch, sitting down together. “How are you? Did you feel unwell anywhere? Did you listen to the doctor and take your medicine on time?”

Dae Hyun nodded his head vigorously. “Yes. Dae Hyun took every medicine that Doctor Park asked Dae Hyun to take. Dae Hyun doesn’t want to go back to stay in the hospital anymore. I listen to everything Doctor Park talk to me.”

Min Ho nodded softly and planted a kiss on Dae Hyun’s forehead. “Appa’s son is always a good boy.”

Dae Hyun smiled widely.

“Where is eomma?” Min Ho asked, glancing around the apartment to look for his mother.

“She is…” Before Dae Hyun could reply Min Ho, they heard the door of Soo Young’s study room open as she came out and walked out towards the living room.

A surprise expression etched across Soo Young’s face when she saw Min Ho and slowly let out a smile when their eyes met. “You are here. Dae Hyun has been asking about you.” She said, sitting down on the couch opposite them at the same time. “You must be very busy with your work. It has been a month since you last come to see Dae Hyun.”

There was a brief pause before Min Ho forced a smile and nodded. “Yes. Work is kind of… hectic lately.” He… lied. Work has always been busy, but for the past one month, he has tried to delegates his works to his staffs as much as possible. Since he promised Shin Hye and decided to start their relationship all over again, he wanted to keep his words and put more efforts in it. In the past, he didn’t do a good job as a husband or a father. And now, he wanted to try harder, do better. So, he has tried to spare more time to his family and reduce the time of coming here to see them.

“You should tell me earlier that you are coming today. There is nothing much left in the fridge. But I think it’s still enough for three of us.” Soo Young smiled as she stood up. “It’s almost dinner now. Give me thirty minutes. I’ll cook something nice for you. I think…”

“No.” Min Ho spoke and cut off her sentence. “I actually just drop by to see Dae Hyun and make sure both of you are okay. I won’t stay for dinner. I… I promised Sh…” He paused and didn’t let the word ‘Shin Hye’ escaped his lips. He doesn’t know why but he just doesn’t know how to tell her about Shin Hye and him yet. He knows Soo Young doesn’t feel any romantic connection between them, but he still worried that it would hurt her feeling by thinking he might want to leave Dae Hyun and her. “I mean… I promised Yeo Jin to eat with her tonight. I can’t stay for long. I’m sorry.”

The smile on Soo Young’s face slowly faded upon hearing what he said. She wasn’t sure she is over-sensitive or what, but something is different about him now. In the past, unless he is not in Seoul, if not he will surely come here to see Dae Hyun every day and have dinner with them before he go. This was the first time he refused to stay for dinner and just stopped by for a while.

But… what can she say to make him stay? Yeo Jin is his biological daughter. She can’t be so selfish and occupy all his time for her own son.  

“Appa… you are not staying here for dinner?” Dae Hyun looked up at Min Ho and asked with a very disappointed voice.

A pang of guilt hit his chest hard as he turned to Dae Hyun and let out a long, breathy sigh. To reject a kid’s request is the hardest thing for him to do. But because of Yeo Jin, he has to harden his heart this time. He has given most of his time to Dae Hyun and neglected his own daughter in the past. And since Dae Hyun is feeling so much better lately, he think it’s about time he make it up to his family. When you want something, you must let go of another. But no matter what, it doesn’t mean he doesn’t care for them anymore. His love for Dae Hyun will not change or lessen just because he doesn’t give him as much time as he used to give in the past.

“I’m sorry, Dae Hyun. Appa has promise your little dongsaeng to go home tonight. If I don’t go back, she will be very sad and be very unhappy.” Min Ho smiled and caressed his cheek. “Do you remember Yeo Jin? She is appa’s little daughter. She is also your little sister. When Dae Hyun feel better and healthier, appa will bring you to meet her. I’m sure both of you can get along very well.”

Dae Hyun bit his lip as he held his face down and nodded softly. Although he really hope Min Ho could stay longer, but he is an understanding kid. He won’t throw tantrum or make a big fuss when he couldn’t get something. He knows everything is not easy for him. He doesn’t have a healthy body and he should be grateful that he is still living now. He doesn’t have a father and he should be thankful that Min Ho love him like a real father. In order for people to love him, he has to be good and listen to them.

Soo Young stared at her son as her chest tightened at the same time. The longing and disappointed expression on Dae Hyun’s face pained her heart. It was her fault. If she could be more selfish, if she could do a little more for him, he will be happier and have a healthy family. But… does she still have the chance to be selfish now?

She averted her gaze to Min Ho and looked at him for a long while before she inhaled a deep breath. “Don’t worry about him. He is just lonely and miss you a lot.” She let out a light smile and looked up at the clock. “It’s not early now. You should go now if you want to be on time for dinner. I’ll walk you out.”

Min Ho nodded as he looked down at Dae Hyun again and gave him a tight hug. “Appa promise you. I will come to see you again and have dinner with you next week.”

“Really?” Dae Hyun widened his eyes expectantly. A smile curled up onto his lips again.

“Of course.” Min Ho laughed. “Appa never lie to Dae Hyun before.”

“Thank you, appa.” Dae Hyun leaned over and gave Min Ho a soft kiss on his face.

“Hmmm…” Min Ho gently pulled away from him and stood up. “Take care of yourself and listen to your eomma. Appa will call you.”

Dae Hyun nodded with a wide smile.

Min Ho and Soo Young walked out from the living and when he reached the door, he stopped and turned around to look at her. “You don’t need to go down with me. Stay here and keep Dae Hyun accompanied.”

Soo Young nodded. “Okay. Drive safely.”

“Give me a call if you need anything.” Min Ho said again.

“I will. Goodbye.” Soo Young waved her hand.

Taking one last look at her, Min Ho nodded before turning around and walked out from the apartment, heading towards the elevators.

After he was gone, Soo Young closed the door and went back inside to the living room. Dae Hyun was still sitting on the couch alone, looking mindlessly at the television. The smile on his little face has already disappeared the moment Min Ho left. Although he didn’t say anything, but she knows he is not happy. It has been a long time Min Ho didn’t come here and spend the whole night together with him. She could understand the disappointment he was feeling now.

Taking a seat beside Dae Hyun and gently pulled him into her arms, she hugged him tightly and gave his back a comforting . “Don’t be sad. Eomma is here with you.”

“Eomma…” Dae Hyun slowly looked up at his mother. “Can appa become Dae Hyun’s real appa?”

Soo Young pursed her lips and doesn’t know what to say. “Appa… appa love you a lot. Whether he is your real appa or not, he will always love Dae Hyun.”

“But only real appa will stay with Dae Hyun and have dinner with Dae Hyun all the time, right?” He asked. “Only real appa will stay here with us and will not leave when Dae Hyun fall asleep at night.”

“Dae Hyun… I’m sorry.” Soo Young sighed and tightened her arms around his tiny body.

“Eomma… Dae Hyun is going to the elementary school very soon.” He said again. “I really hope that eomma and appa can hold my hands together and bring Dae Hyun to school on the first day. I want to tell seonsaeng-nim and all my friends, ‘this is my eomma… and this is my appa.’ I want them to know that Dae Hyun have parents like other kids too. I also have a mother and a father.” He paused and looked up at his mother again. “Can appa become my father?” 

Tears started to sting Soo Young’s eyes. Listening to every word her son said was like enduring the pain of a knife piercing through her heart. If Kyung Ho is still here, everything will not be like this. If… if she selfishly request Min Ho to replace Kyung Ho’s place and become Dae Hyun’s real father, Dae Hyun would not be so sad now. She has a chance before. In fact, the chance was always in her hand all this while. At that time when Min Ho promised Kyung Ho to take care of them, if she could think lesser and care lesser, she knows Min Ho will give up everything and be with them. But now… after she saw him tonight, she doesn’t have the confidence that he will still do the same.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

Few days later…

 

“Shin Hye? Where are you?” Min Ho entered their room and called out Shin Hye’s name when he doesn’t see her around.

“Oppa, is that you? I’m in the bathroom.” Shin Hye’s reply filled the room as Min Ho walked towards the bathroom when he heard the voice was coming from there. The door was closed but not locked. When he opened it, Shin Hye was already fully dressed and putting some light makeup on.

Today was Han Jae Eun, Min Ho’s mother’s birthday. She called Min Ho two days ago that she would like to have a simple celebration and have a dinner together with the family. So, Min Ho decided to have a dinner with them in the hotel and promised to bring Shin Hye and Yeo Jin along. Since it was on weekday, Shin Hye have to rush home after work and prepare herself while Kim Sung Mi helped her to dress Yeo Jin up. Min Ho told her that he will come back around 7pm to pick them, but now it’s only 6pm.

Shin Hye turned to the door and her eyes widened to see Min Ho. “Oppa, why are you so early? I thought you say 7pm. I just came back from the hospital not long ago.” She said in a nervous tone, quickly speed up her action on her face.

Min Ho smiled as he stared at her, mesmerizing her beauty without replying her question. She looked gorgeous in the baby pink knee length dress. Slowly walking towards where she was standing, he stopped behind her and s his hands around her waist, drawing her into his arms. He felt her body tensed and their eyes locked at each other through the large mirror.

He smiled again when he saw her face slowly covered in deep blush. “The meeting was cancelled and there is not much work in the office today. The traffic will be bad later and so I came back early. I tried to call you but you didn’t answer your phone. I thought of picking you up from the hospital.”

Shin Hye’s body slowly relaxed and let herself leaned against his chest. “My phone is in my bag. I think I was too rush just now and didn’t hear it ring.”

He nodded as he continued to gaze at her through the mirror. His intense gaze travelled from her eyes slowly down to her lips and a small smirk curved onto his lips. “I like the colour of your lip gloss today. It suits you.”

Shin Hye parted her lips slightly, feeling butterflies flit around in her stomach upon hearing his sweet talk. This wasn’t the first time he behave like this whenever they were alone, but she still hasn’t got used to it yet. The Lee Min Ho that she used to know wasn’t like this. He was very cold and doesn’t like to talk to her at all. But for the past two months, everything has changed tremendously. Everything he said, everything he did, it felt so sweet and lovely sometimes. He has become a different person altogether. It was a good sign, a good improvement for their relationship. But don’t know why, fear was also growing inside of her at the same time. The happier she felt, the more worried she become. Of course she will be grateful if all this is real… but… if it’s not… if it’s just a short term happiness or just a dream that she needs to wake up one day, she is not sure she could handle the disappointment again when the time comes.

“What are you thinking? Why are you so quiet in a sudden?” Min Ho asked, breaking the deafening silence and shook her off from her deep thoughts.

Shin Hye smiled awkwardly and shook her head. “Nothing. Just thinking… whether eomeonim will like the present or not.” She lied.

Min Ho chuckled. “As long as the present was bought by you, she will definitely love it.” Everyone knows how much his mother love Shin Hye. Coming to her birthday dinner with her is her biggest birthday present for sure. “Eomma love you more than me. It’s very unfair. She always sided with you no matter what happened.”

Shin Hye laughed looking at his displeased expression. “Eomma love me because I’m your wife. So, to be exact… she love you more.”

He snorted and added sarcastically. “Yeah right. I think the reason she love me is because I’m your husband.”

Shin Hye let out another laugh before hitting his hand softly. “Yah, stop being jealous of your own wife.” She paused and glanced at him from top to toe through the mirror. “You should go to change now. I don’t want to be stuck in the traffic and be late for the dinner. I’ll be done in another five minutes.”

“Okay.” Min Ho smiled as he pulled away from her and walked to the door to exit the bathroom. But just then, Shin Hye’s voice was heard again and stopped him from going out.

“Oppa.” Shin Hye turned her head to look at him. “Can you help me to find my earring? I think I left it outside.”

“Sure.” Min Ho nodded as he stepped out of the bathroom at the same time, heading towards her dressing table. “Which earring? How does it look like?”

“It’s a round white gold earring with a tiny diamond in the middle.” Shin Hye shouted from inside.

Min Ho looked around the table and asked again. “Where did you put it? I can’t see it on the table.”

“I think it’s inside the wooden jewellery box on the dressing table. Can you see it?”

Min Ho instantly saw the brown wooden box and reached out to open it. As he looked inside and wanted to find the earring for her, there was something on top that looked very familiar and caught his eyes. Just when he wanted to take it out, the sound of the ringing phone suddenly interrupted his action. He quickly took his phone out from his pocket and saw Soo Young’s name on the screen.

“Oppa, sorry. The earring is here. I forgot that I brought it in with me just now.” Shin Hye’s voice was heard f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter