Chapter 29

My Girl (Sequel)

Chapter 29

 

“How about this?”

I walked out in a simple white, a-line tulle dress with lace and spaghetti straps. Thankfully, my hair was long enough to flow over my shoulders and traced my collarbones. Before I could even say another word to Jung Ah, she was bawling, almost bent over from trying to catch her breath. She covered with one hand as she stared at me and admired the dress I had on. I don’t know if I was more shocked than she was by her own reaction.

“Jung Ah, please breathe for the baby!” I said as I walked over towards her with a chuckle. “These hormones of yours are really getting to you, aren’t they?”

“My goodness, Soo Jin. People weren’t joking in high school when they said you were one of the most beautiful girls attending.” Jung Ah wiped her own tears with the back of her hand as she took a deep breath. “You are like a goddess in that dress. It’s so simple and yet, you make it look so elegant.”

I pursed my lips. “Alright, you’re being a little dramatic and filling me with more compliments than needed.”

“I’m serious, Soo Jin. You look amazing in that dress.” She stared at me with a big smile. “You are going to be such a beautiful bride.”

“Won’t she?” Kang Hee clasped her hands together. “Your fiancé is going to cry when he sees you walk down the aisle with this dress on.”

“You think?” I asked turning towards Kang Hee, where the mirror was. “The dress is beautiful, but is it that beautiful?”

“I mean, I’ve seen your fiancé cry, Soo Jin.” Kang Hee quickly clasped her hands over . “Oh my gosh. I’m terribly sorry. Se Hun is not your fiancé.”

I bit my bottom lip and looked over at Jung Ah, whose mouth was a bit ajar. “It’s okay. I should have told you that day, but it was a bit hectic.”

“Would that mean –”

“NO!” Both Jung Ah and I said together before Kang Hee could finish her sentence.

“Alright, I mean. He’s a good looking man. I just didn’t want to miss my chance.” Kang Hee chuckled.

“You missed your chance the minute Soo Jin stepped into your life.” Jung Ah snarled. “I mean, every damn women did.”

I glared at Jung Ah, who shrugged. “Should we get going?”

Jung Ah nodded her head. “I’m going to go out and make a phone call to Jae Hyun while you get out of your dress, if that’s okay.”

“Yeah! Go for it.” I said waving her off.

Kang Hee looked at me with an admirable smile. “You really do look beautiful in that dress, Soo Jin.”

I stared at myself in the mirror and felt my heart aching inside for some reason. “Why does it feel like it’s weighing me down then?”

“Are you getting cold feet?” She asked.

I shook my head. “It’s something else, I guess.”

“How about I give you a moment in that dress and then you can make a final decision when I come back? I’ll have to make some calls to other places anyway to delay our appointments if anything.” Kang Hee said stepping away.

As I stared at myself in the mirror, I imagined myself walking down the aisle holding red roses in my hands. Every step in my mind seemed so heavy but then it got lighter and lighter and before I knew it, I was standing there at the podium, but when I looked to my right, it was blurry. I couldn’t see who it was. I realized my eyes were actually shut. I quickly opened them and looked to my right only to see Se Hun standing there staring at me as if he’s been waiting for me for awhile.

“Will I ever get used to seeing you show up wherever I am in this world?” I asked as I felt my shoulders fall down a little. “But I guess you didn’t show up when I thought you would.”

Se Hun walked over towards me and stood right in front of me, blocking me from seeing myself in the mirror. “Is this what Jin Hyuk would see the day of his wedding?”

“W-what?” I felt a blush creeping across my cheeks.

“You look so beautiful, Soo Jin.” Se Hun smiled sincerely.

“Please don’t compliment me.” I said as I felt my heart racing inside of my chest.

“I’m sorry. I forget I still have a bit of control of that heart of yours.” He nudged his head towards my chest, causing me to feel like he froze me with his eyes.

I quickly looked away before I would falter.

“You don’t have to act uncomfortable around me.” Se Hun scoffed. “Unless I guess I do make you feel uncomfortable, huh?”

“I’m sorry. It’s not like that at all. You know you’re the most –” I stopped myself from saying anything I shouldn’t be saying. “Where’s Jung Ah anyway? Did you see her out there?”

Se Hun nodded his head. “Yeah, Jae Hyun picked her up and they left.”

“WHAT THE .” My eyes widened as I started looking around like a madwoman. “Are you kidding me right now, Se Hun?!”

He seemed to enjoy my sudden panic as he shook his head. “No, no, no, I told her to go since Jae Hyun was here already for her and I needed to borrow you for a bit.”

“What do you mean ‘borrow’ me?” I quirked an eyebrow.

“Soo Jin, I just called the other boutiques –” Kang Hee stopped in her tracks when her eyes landed on Se Hun. I don’t blame her reaction. I mean, he came in wearing all black... Black long coat, turtle neck, jeans, boots, even a freaking black cap. “Why hello there, Se Hun!”

“Hello Ms. Kang Hee.” Se Hun smiled and nodded his head at her. “Are you alright if I borrower Ms. Soo Jin for a bit?”

“Oh yeah, take her away!” Kang Hee laughed in a way where I wanted to gag. She was actually snorting.

“Se Hun, what are you doing?” I asked almost in a whisper, but I’m sure it was loud enough for Kang Hee to hear, who was two to three yards away from us.

“It’s Jin Guk…” Se Hun muttered quietly, but it caught my attention.

“What? Did something happen?”

“Come with. I’ll explain on the way to the hospital.”

“Okay…”

 

**

 

“Soo Jin, I can’t have you walking in with swollen eyes.” Se Hun said he leaned back into his seat and stared at me. “You have to stop crying at one point.”

He was right. I had to stop crying because my eyes were going to become swollen, but the ride was horrible. The minute we had gotten into his car, he told me that Jin Guk was only given about a week or so to live because his kidney was giving up on him and there was no donor that was going to save him in time. Not only that but Jin Guk wanted to see me because he knew his life was nearing its end and he told Se Hun he had to us both together for once. My heart was aching. I barely knew the kid, but I felt like I’ve gotten so close to him.

“Soo Jin.” Se Hun’s hand suddenly wrapped around my fists. “I’m going to need you to get it together for him.”

“I’m so sorry.” I bawled as I tried to stop myself, but it just kept coming out. “I just can’t understand why they keep taking people away from you.”

Se Hun’s grip suddenly loosened from me. I looked up quickly and saw the hurt in his eyes, which I didn’t mean to intend, but it just came out.

“Se Hun, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to say that.” I cried.

“No, it’s okay. It’s not your fault.” He smiled as he reached over and wiped my tears. “Do me a favor, Soo Jin. Please!”

“Okay. Okay.” I said trying to hold my cries in.

“Ten minutes. If you don’t get your together by then, I’m sending you home.”

For the next seven minutes, I bawled as Se Hun held onto my fist.

 

**

 

Just like Se Hun assumed and actually knew, my eyes were swollen, so he gave me a pair of his fake glasses to wear to hide of a bit of my eyes as much as it could. We walked into the hospital with stares, as I’m sure they’re surprised Se Hun was walking in with a girl, but it was awkward. The nurse that I had run into who almost tried to fight me when she caught me was glaring at me, but she went back to charting almost immediately.

“Don’t cry when you get in, okay?” Se Hun turned quickly to say that to me, making me bump into his chest. He grabbed my arm before I could fall back. “You think this is a tough time for us? Imagine how he feels.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” I sighed as I took a deep breath. “Let’s go in.”

As the door slowly crept open, I heard the TV playing and a cute little laughter in the background. Se Hun walked in first and I walked in after, but I was nervous for some reason. Jin Guk was lying down in his bed and seemed to be enjoying himself, but when he saw both Se Hun and I walk in, he quickly got up, but you could tell it took all of his strength to even sit up. Se Hun had to run over and help him.

“What did I tell you about trying to get up yourself, Jin Guk?” Se Hun had a change of tone, and it kind of moved my heart. It was filled with concern and love. “You’re not supposed to use a lot of your own strength, you know that?”

“Yes, dad, you don’t have to remind me.” Jin Guk snarled cutely. “I was just excited to see that you brought pretty Soo Jin with you!”

“Pretty? Who is?” Se Hun joked, but I nudged him for being mean. “I think we should go get your eyes checked, Jin Guk.”

“Dad, you even said that Soo Jin was one of the prettiest girls you’ve ever met and dated.” Jin Guk’s words caused me to blush.

“Ah, is that so?” I looked over at Se Hun, who turned away from me immediately. “Jin Guk, tell me more about what your dad says about me because he doesn’t seem to like to tell me anything unless I force it out of him.”

“Sit here, Noona.” Jin Guk patted down a spot near him and I sat down. “Noona, did he ever tell you how much he –”

“That is enough!” Se Hun covered Jin Guk’s mouth with his hand. “I did not bring her here for you to confess all of the things I’ve told you.”

“I’m sorry.” Jin Guk mumbled in Se Hun’s hands. “I promise I won’t say anything.”

Se Hun let go of Jin Guk’s mouth slowly before turning away from us and crossing his arms like a child.

“Noona…” Jin Guk’s voice suddenly sounded very small. “I hope you’re okay that dad brought you here on a random day. You might have been busy, but he said he could find you no matter what.”

I chuckled nodding my head. “Your dad does wonders.”

“He’s a superhero. Superheroes all know where to find someone.” Jin Guk laughed and reached out to touch my hand. “I’m glad he can be a superhero to you.”

I arched a brow and looked behind me, but Se Hun’s back was turned towards us. “It’s times like this where we all need superheroes, Jin Guk.”

Jin Guk nodded. “Noona, I don’t know if dad told you, but by how your eyes look, I’m guessing he told you…”

I pressed my lips together to keep myself from crying again.

“The doctors told me that I only have a few more days and I’m five, Noona! Five years and I was diagnosed early with problems and had to do dialysis, but I’m too tired to wait for a miracle…” Jin Guk was so smart for a kid who was so young. “But for the next few days, dad said that he could grant me a wish or two.”

“Does that include me?” I asked.

He nodded his head rapidly. “Noona, dad and I want to go a quick trip to Busan together. I know he brought me there the other day or whatever, but I didn’t get to do anything. Dad told me there was a beach there and his grandpa’s there… I want to… I want to go there…”

“Okay.” I nodded my head as I started shedding tears. “Let’s do whatever you want to do. It’ll be your day, Jin Guk.”

“We can do whatever I want?” Jin Guk’s eyes lit up and I cried even more.

“A-anything you want.” I squeezed his little hand.

“Then can I see you and dad get married before I leave?” Jin Guk’s words made both Se Hun and I look at each other.

“What?” We both asked shocked.

“I just want to see you two happily married together before I leave…”Jin Guk muttered.

“Jin Guk, I know I said I could grant you a couple of wishes but that’s a little too –”

“Okay.” I answered quickly, cutting Se Hun off, who looked at me like I was crazy, but seeing Jin Guk’s eyes lit up made me forget what I even agreed to.

 

 



*Author's Note: Happy Belated Galentine's Day, everyone <3 Spread love to your friends, family, significant other, etc. not just on Valentine's day but every single day.