XIUMIN

EXODUS

BERLIN 05:06

"See you at the usual, son! Tschuss (bye)."

"Of course! Vielen Dank und Auf Wiedersehen (Thank you so much and good-bye)." I called out back to the older men.

"Bitte! (You're welcome)"

I stumbled out from the bar and gripped my skateboard in hand, backpack strapped onto my back, headphones playing and hat, nice and snug, on my head. I spun around in circles as I took quick glances at the familiar dark windows in the alley.

I'm not drunk, but I am a little woozy if you know what I mean. Tipsy at most. The guys back in the bar can drink for days while I, being 10-20 years younger than them, can only drink for a few hours but hey, the guys love me.

They all say I'm their son that they never had since all their wives divorced them and took their only son away with them or they just never had one. So yes, you can say I pity the guys, however, it's good to go out for a free drink or two or three, maybe, five.

I took out my keys and swung it around my finger as I neared the condo complex. It was an old concrete type looking thing. It's not that bad once you get inside though. The walls are covered in dirt, gum, and graffiti, but who cares? If I'm safe and not freezing to death, it's all good to me.

I flipped through the ring a few times to find the right key and wiggled it inside the lock. I stumble inside and pulled off my fuzzy chestnut hat. I took a deep breath and turned up my music to prepare myself for a nice run upstairs to my condo. The one thing about old buildings is that elevators do not exist.

1st Floor....

2nd Floor....

3rd Floor....

4th Floor....

As I trudged onto to the 5th floor steps, a stranger bumped his shoulder with me. He pushed me off with his hand, I slipped off my headphones and gave him a dirty look as I watched him continue to scale down the stair.

What the is his problem? I shook my head and continued to climb up floor after floor.

Finally, when I reached my condo, I slid everything off me and popped down onto the couch to face my TV that I forgot to switch off when I left earlier this morning.

I reached over to yesterday's cup of whiskey and tilted my head back as I closed my eyes letting the alcohol course through my blood once again when I heard a strange buzzing noise. I looked toward the TV, which was glitching out nowhere.

I slowly climbed up onto my feet, cup still in hand and walked toward the TV. I brush my fingers against the screen when a tall, young boy with a striped shirt appeared. I jumped back in shock realizing who I just saw.

! Did they find me? Did they find us? I look towards the door.

My only escape.

I slammed my cup down on the table taking off as fast I could as I heard the soft crackling of frost trailing behind me.