TAO

EXODUS

BARCELONA 10:10

I lift my cup of coffee up from the table and took a small sip, still trying to not burn myself.

I love coming in the morning to receive a fresh cup of hot coffee and a new print of EL PAIS off the newspaper stand. It relaxes me when I'm feeling stressed from being inside the home office for too long.

I picked up my newspaper and folded it backwards for better reading purposes. Hmm.... Let's see what is in store for me today. The sun shined through the glass windows and warmed up the side of my face. The morning couldn’t be any more perfect.

Huh?! Extraterrestrials spotted! What the heck... I rapidly unfolded the paper and flipped through the pages to see all the articles on these aliens as a strange buzzing noise buzz quietly grew louder and louder in my eardrums like bees bustling in through a beehive.

 I look up for a slight moment and... POP! A light bulb shatters right in front of me as pieces shot out in different directions.

I lift the newspaper to shield myself. After a few seconds of hiding, a strange atmosphere hovered around me in the cafe. I look back up and everything and everyone was still.

 Just still.

What the-? I got up from my booth and look over to a man who stared blankly at his computer screen as he takes a sip of his coffee. I turn in circles to make sure I was still in the cafe and not dream, but this sure was NOT a dream. I peer over an old man's shoulder who froze at a page turn of his novel.

What the actual hell is going on? I slowly walk out of the cafe as I push pass all the glass floating in the air. I began to panic due to the sudden stillness of the world and dashed out of the cafe.

I froze outside the front doors upon hearing a cup shatter to the ground.

I turned my head back and forth as everyone is once again moving and busily minding their own business carrying on with their normal lives. But how am I supposed to go on with mine, when I'm the only one moving in it?

That's when I knew, I had to run.

It was a race against time.