Chapter 9

Look at Me Only (단지 날 보세요)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’ll take the stairs down.” Jongin suggested as he locked the door of STUDIO 2. “Right?”

“Yeah. I think that would be best.” I admitted, as we made our way through the double doors leading to the stair well. The walls were lined with posters of all the big SM acts; SHINee next to Girls Generation next to EXO. It made the walk down feel very surreal, as if hundreds of faces were watching your every move.

We made our way out of the building as I came in, but instead of crossing through the car park, Jongin led me the other way, towards a tall metal rung fence.

“Where are we going?” I asked curiously. “Isn’t the exit the other way?”

“This is the secret way out. We use it when we don’t want to be seen leaving.” Jongin explained, and again his hand clasped around my wrist as he directed round the corner of a storage unit. At the very end of the complex a small gap in the fence could be seen. Just enough to fit someone through. Jongin went through first, then turned and held open the loose open ends of the fence so I didn’t catch my hair on it as I squatted through.

“It’s lucky the fan girls don’t know about that. I joked, dusting a little clay off of my dress as I stood up. “They’d have a field day.”

“Let’s hope it stays that way.” Jongin agrees. “Come on, just a five minute walk from here.” He ushered and I jogged lightly to catch up with his wide strides.

We walked slowly down the alleyway. It was quite small, there was only just room to walk two-abreast due to the high brick on one side, and the chain link fence that marked out the SM building’s land. It must have been 8 or 9pm and the light had all but faded in the alleyway, making the enclosed space feel more menacing. I consciously moved a little closer to Jongin.

I took this moment to take in Jongin’s style today, despite the lack of light, he was close enough to see. Surprisingly, it hadn’t changed much since I saw him at the fan meeting. He was wearing a black and white t-shirt, black joggers and some sort of expensive looking pair of trainers. Much as before, he looked casual but fashionable at the same time.

“I can see you peering.” Jongin said, a smirk on his lips just as I had finished with my fashion analysis.  “It’s fine don’t look away.” He exclaimed as he saw me quickly snap my head away. “I’ll let you look for free.” He said arrogantly.

I scoffed loud enough for him to hear and folded my arms a little. “Too arrogant.” I muttered.

“What was that?” He asked. “Anyway…” He continued, “I wanted to thank you Hyemin.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, thanks for coming to see me today. I was nice to show you what I do.” He said sincerely. I looked at him, eyes wide. This guy was making my head ache. One moment he’s Mr. Cocky and the next he’s Mr. Sensitive and saying thank you left and right. I just couldn’t understand it.

“You’re welcome. You have a great talent! I enjoyed it too.” I said, brushing off my confusion.

“I’m glad.” Jongin said with a smile. “We’re here.” He noted, as we took a left turn off the narrow alleyway which opened up into a small courtyard areas between brick walls.

“Jongin-Ah.” The familiar voice of Taemin sounded, as we met a small group of people in the clearing between the houses and the alleyway. “Hyemin.” He said casually, as I stepped out from behind Jongin a little.

“Taemin hyung.” Jongin replied. “Long time.” He joked, ruffling his hair while he took his cap off for a moment.

“Aren’t you gonna introduce your friend Jongin-Ah. Who’s this?” One of the other guys in the group spoke, he wasn’t clear enough to make out in the dimly lit clearing.

“Sorry. This is my friend Hyemin.” Jongin said, pushing my forward a bit. “She’s gonna’ join us for samgyeopsal if that’s cool.”

“Hey.” I say shyly, pushing the side of my nike shoe into the inside of the opposite leg, near the ankle.

“Any friend of yours is a friend of ours.” One of the others spoke in a low, gruff voice. “As much as it would be nice to introduce everyone now, let’s do it when we get there. It’s ing cold and a little too dark right?” Everyone muttered in agreement.

 

*

 

I found myself sitting round a small wooden table in one of the outside tent street food restaurants. One of the ones with plastic chairs, and a friendly ahjumma owner. Jongin was to my left and another guy to my right. Jongin has explained when I had asked that they came to this place often because it was only filled with older ajusshi and no one would recognise them.

“So you’re Hyemin?” A guy cross from me said. I nodded. He then turned to me, so I could see his face clearly. “I’m Jonghyun. I’m-“

“I think she’ll know you already.” Taemin said cockily. “She’s a fan of SHINee.” He explained.

“Oh really?” Jonghyun looked at me for verification. “Is that so?”

“Yeah.” I said shyly. “I told Taemin Ssi earlier that I really liked your albums.”

“That’s cool.” Jonghyun said with a small smile.  “Are you als-“

Jonghyun was cut off yet again. “Shall we get some meat then?” Jongin said hastily. “I’m starved.”

“Good idea.” Another voice said. “I’m Kyuhyun by the way.” He said, looking at me. Again I decided against telling him that I already knew that.

“It’s nice to meet you.” I said, politely bowing my head a little.

“Haha Jongin-Ah, you’ve found yourself a cute little friend.” Kyuhyun commented.

Jongin scowled slightly. “If you’re gonna be like that, why not treat us all, and my ‘cute little friend’ to some fine samgyeopsal, hyung?” He said, a twinkle in his eyes. I laughed at his stubbornness. “I’m just going to piss.” He said informally to the group, as if forgetting I, who is not a guy, was there. He got up and made his way out of the tent.

“Sounds good to me,” Taemin said looking at me laughing. “Samgyeopsal please hyung~” He whined, clinging onto Kyuhyun’s arm. Jonghyun soon followed suit.

“Aigoo, you rascals.” Kyuhyun cursed under his breath a little. “Fine…hyung’s treat. But only because we have a guest.” He stood up to go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter