Chapter 2

Look at Me Only (단지 날 보세요)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The name rang a bell now that I thought about it but I decided to put that one side. It couldn’t be anyone I knew well at least. “I know a few Jongins, but that’s a pretty common name.” I said as I tried to recall. “You’re not a Kangwon High student are you?”

 

“No.”

 

“Good” I replied with a sniff. He felt a little standoffish and rude. “Ok then.”

 

An awkward silence settled over us and I shifted uncomfortably. It would seem rude if I just got up and left the guy now!

 

“Anyway!” I stated, trying to ease the tension, thick enough to cut. “I’m only here because my parents are being too noisy at home. S-so do you want to talk about why you’re upset J-jongin Ssi?” I asked quietly, expecting to be denied but then I heard his voice, more clear this time.

 

“I like to come here when I’m depressed or stressed. It’s like my escape from reality.” Jongin replied and although I couldn’t see is face, I could imagine an expression void of any emotion. He shivered a little, shoulders vibrating to the side and back. It was then when I noticed his lack of sensible clothing. A t-shirt, jeans and a snapback. “There’s so much pressure on my shoulders an-and if I mess this up…then it’s not just my life I’m going to destroy.”

 

“Y’know it’s important to do well.” I started, “But it’s also important to live a fulfilling and joyful life too. Your dreams will soon follow after that.” I reasoned. “As a great 20th century scholar once said: ‘If you can dream it, you can do it.’ I think that this is true for you too.”

 

“A scholar said that?” He said incredulously

 

“Well Walt Disney is a scholar in my eyes.” I pouted, hearing Jongin chuckle slightly, the sound like music to my ears. Maybe he wasn’t so insolent. 

 

“I guess you’re right. But you don’t know what it’s like. I’m trying to follow my dream while keeping the dreams of others close to me afloat too.” He exclaimed, still shivering, hands clutched around his stomach.

 

I nodded silently, soon realising he couldn’t see that. “Here take my scarf.” I said timidly, unwrapping it from around my neck. “It’s too cold to be out without a coat.”

 

“Thanks.” Jongin replied slowly. “I rushed out too quickly to grab my jacket. I just had to get out of there. It was suffocating me. I guess I didn’t notice the cold while I was walking here.”

 

“Oh do you live close?” I asked.

 

“Not really.” He sighed and continued, “This is just the furthest place I know how to get to.”

 

“I see. Sorry to be prying Jongin Ssi.” I said, sensing his sigh as an indication of slight irritation.

 

“I-I” He stumbled over the words. “It’s fine re-“

 

“I’ll be going now then.” I replied before he could insult me. “Please get home safely.” I bowed after getting up off the bench.

 

“Wait urgh” Jongin stuttered.

 

“No it’s ok Jongin Ssi.” I bowed again politely before turning to walk away, the darkness soon swallowing me whole so that I was sure, if the boy was looking, he wouldn’t be able to see me anymore.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter