Chapter 3

Look at Me Only (단지 날 보세요)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Friday morning rushed up to me with the ‘buzz’ of my alarm piercing my ears mercilessly. I aimed my pillow at the noise haphazardly and the racket promptly stopped. Thankfully my terrible aim had managed to knock the clock onto the floor and the batteries had fallen out.

Groaning, I got myself up and dressed into my uniform. The bags under my eyes were more noticeable this morning, I noticed as I peered at myself in the bathroom mirror. ‘Oh well’ I thought. There was no point trying to cover it up, without having to crack open numerous types of skin products and make-ups. Not only am I extremely lazy but I don’t think make up suits me, so I tend to wear it as little as possible. I attempted to tame my hair with a few quick brushes before heading down the hall to greet my parents.

“Abigail.” My Dad sat at the kitchen table, a newspaper in one hand, a cup of steaming tea in the other. “Morning.”

“Morning Dad!” I sang happily. “How are you?” I asked inquisitively in English. As a family, we tended to speak English to each other at home, and Korean the rest of the time. Although if my Korean was bad, then my Dads was terrible.

“I’m alright flower.” He replied with a smile. “Are you off to school?”

“Soon, I’m gonna’ grab some breakfast first.” I replied. “Do you want toast?”

“If you’re making then yeah.” Hyunwoo interrupted as he entered the room clutching a towel, hair wet from showering plastered onto the sides of his head.

“I wasn’t asking you.” I replied cheekily.

“Awh I’m offended Abs.” Hyunwoo pouted causing my Dad to let out a deep laugh.

“Abigail, just make a piece for both of us would you?” Dad said.

“Already done Dad!” I exclaimed, pointing at the full toaster. “Luckily Kyungwoo’s not here, or else I’d be here all morning making toast.”

“Yeah when is Hyung coming home Dad?” Hyunwoo asked Dad, as he reached and selected three plates from the cupboard.

“Your brother is very busy.” Dad started, folding away his newspaper before standing up to walk over to us. “I’m sure he’ll be back for your Mother’s birthday though. Or else he’ll be in big trouble.”

“Haha, it would be funny to see the look on Mum’s face though.” I laughed. “But I still miss him. He should try and come home.” Just then the toaster popped, the toast flying through the air. Hyunwoo, brandishing the plates, caught eat piece of toast in turn.

“Nice catch!” I cried, going over to high five Hyunwoo.

“You two have too much time on your hands.” Dad said laughing.

We all sat round the oak wooden table, munching on our toast and talking about the day ahead before Dad had to go to work. Then it was just me and Hyunwoo sitting opposite each other.

“So Abs.” Hyunwoo said, leaning his left elbow against the flat of the table. “Where are you going tonight? I remember you saying you wouldn’t be home for dinner.”

I outwardly groaned. “I’d forgotten. I’m going with Jihye to some fan meeting for some group. EXO?”

“A fan meeting? That doesn’t seem like you.” He noted carefully. “Although even you’ve heard of EXO. I’ve heard some of their fans can be pretty crazy.

“You know I don’t to listen to much Korean chart music Oppa.  I’m just going for Jihye, I’m her best friend so I’m going with her to keep her company.” I explained. “I guess I know a few songs.”

“You’re a good friend Abs.”

“I try. Anyway I should get going, or I’m going to be late for the bus.” I stated, glancing at the clock.

“I’ll never understand why you leave so early. It’s almost like you like school. But have a good day Abs!”

“Will do Oppa! You too.” I exclaimed, picking up my school bag and heading towards the door.

 

*

 

It was just after the last class and I was waiting by the school gate, leaning my back against the cool, dark metal. I had my bag slung over my shoulder, the strap cutting into the top of my shoulder slightly.

“Have you been waiting long?” Jihye said as she walked towards me from the front of the school’s main building. “Sorry. I had to go settle some things but I’m ready to leave now.”

“Ji.” I replied. “It’s fine, I only just got here too.” I shrugged, pushing myself off the wall with a swift kick.

“I’m so excited Hyemin! You don’t even understand how excited I am to see them.” Jihye admitted as she walked beside me towards the subway station, a bounce in her step so big it almost seemed as she would reverberate off the walls.

“I’m glad you are.”  I smiled back widely. “I’m happy to come and support you too.”

“I’m lucky to have you as a friend! But make sure you keep off Chanyeol Hyemin. He’s mine.” Jihye spoke in a mutter, a twinkle in her eyes.

I slowed for a moment. “Chanyeol?”

“Oh tell me you haven’t forgotten again Min!” She complained with a cute whine. “Chanyeol, the r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter