Chapter Twenty-Two

The Second Change (Hiatus)

"Where is he going?" Hyeri asked. They were in Haemi's family's mansion, gathered in Haemi's room. The three were huddled next to the window, watching for signs as to what Hyunseung and Heechul would do. They just saw one of the two leave the mansion. "Who is that anyway?"

"It looks like Hyunseung...But it could be Heechul." Seolgi said. 

Haemi eased herself away from the window and proceeded to her bed. Lying on the bed, eyes wide open, was Shinhye. She had not yet recovered from the trauma of seeing a friend die before her. Haemi touched Shinhye's hand. Shinhye casted her worried gaze at Haemi. The eyes were frightened, like a little girl's. 

"Are you alright, Shinhye?" Haemi asked softly. The other two girls, although still watching the figure beyond the house, were listening intently. The vampire refused to reply. "Shinhye, you have to talk to me. We're here for you. She was our friend too."

"I watched her die." Shinhye said in a dead tone. "She died for me. She died in my place. She shouldn't..."

"Remember what Eunna said before she left us." Haemi whispered. "Remember...She didn't sacrifice herself for nothing. You have to take on whatever she said. Life after death. Death after life. She is living. Try to remember...what did she say to you?"

Shinhye thought. "She said..." Shinhye whispered. "I had to protect you girls..." She was confused, like a little girl.

"Very good, what else did she say?" Haemi asked soothingly, like a teacher leading on a student. "Shinhye...Don't stop...You must know why she said that..."

"Ryeowook alone is not enough." Shinhye said softly. "Why did she say that?" She closed her eyes and lay down on the bed. 

Hyeri and Seolgi were both looking at Haemi. Haemi shook her head sadly. 'I think that's it.' She mouthed.

Suddenly, Shinhye sat straight up, eyes opened and filled with knowledge and understanding. The little girl was gone. Downstairs, there was a crash of a glass and a yelp of joy. The three girls stared at the vampire. "I'm sorry. I must have given you a shock. You must've been worried. I'm sorry for making you worry so much." Shinhye smiled at her friends. She swiftly got out of Haemi's bed and looked around. "That was Hyunseung leaving the premises." She added. "He's off to the council's headquarters."

"What happened?" Seolgi asked.

Haemi smiled. "She understood what Eunna had told her." She stated simply.

The other two girls nodded in understanding. The girls all knew that Eunna's words had messages beneath. In fact, Eunna, Seolgi and Haemi all were similar. Their words led the other girls to go one big round before they understood the meanings behind their words. Shinhye and Hyeri were straightforward, unlike their friends.

The door of Haemi's room was knocked, which Shinhye threw open and hugged the hunter. Ironically, the hunter was stunned but he hugged her back. The other girls stared in shock. Donghae and Dongwoon, who had been following the hunter up the stairs to Haemi's room, were stunned.

The two ignored the others and rejoiced. "You're back!" Ryeowook finally said as they seperated. Shinhye smiled at him. 

"I'm back." Shinhye said.

"I don't get it." Hyeri stated. "How did you both get so close?" She asked.

"It's a long story..." Shinhye chuckled as she exchanged a glance with Ryeowook. "But, I'm going to marry him." She announced. Ryeowook stared at her, a faint blush creeping up his cheeks. "Don't worry, it's been approved by Eunna. Besides, I wouldn't worry too much about her." She shrugged.

The girls stared at each other. "Are you alright?" Seolgi asked. "You don't seem like yourself today."

"I'm fine." Shinhye smiled. "It's just that, I'm happy. You should be too. It'll be the first and last time we can be happy. Oh, no wait. Your happy endings aren't near yet." She sighed. "I'll just say it quick, alright? Your soul-mates' powers will be immune to you."

There was clashes below. Haemi stepped towards the door. "Don't worry, it's just Seolgi's brothers and..." Her lips curled up in a smile. "Hyeri, why don't you and Seolgi go down with Donghae? I'll be here with Haemi, Ryeowook and Dongwoon."

Hyeri and Seolgi exchanged glances before proceeding to the door and down the stairs with Donghae. "Are you sure they'll be fine?" Haemi asked.

"Seolgi can control her brothers." Ryeowook explained. "Donghae and the extra visitor would have to settle something with each other and Hyeri..." He trailed off, gazing out of the window.

"You'll understand soon." Shinhye smiled. "You know why I allowed Kyuhyun to take Eunna away? It's because what Kyuhyun said was true. They are soul-mates. Haemi...You and Sungmin are soul-mates. You have to learn to trust him."

"No...Don't. Stop talking about Eunna. It was because I trusted before that Eunna lost her life. This is the second time. Who will sacrifice for her?" Haemi said shortly.

"You don't have to worry about that." Ryeowook said calmly. "The Vampire princes wanted me to tell you this. To be honest, I know what the princes want to do. I can hear their thoughts, roughly."

"What do you mean?" Haemi asked at the same time as Dongwoon.

Shinhye leaned back onto Ryeowook's lean chest. "Kyuhyun was told to leave Eunna. Eunna herself told him that. Well, right now, downstairs, Yoseob and Eunhyuk are there." He said. "They're actually here to verify something. That's the reason why Shinhye sent both of them down. We've already pretty much guessed what Eunna wanted done."

"Where to I fit into this?" Haemi asked softly. "What of Eunna? Will she return? She can't just abandon all of us, right?"

"Eunna will be back. But...She won't be the same." Shinhye said softly. "She wanted our soul-mates by our side for one reason. Jandi's coming back."

That name ran ice through Haemi. "You're joking. That can't be. We sealed her away."

"The vampire king unsealed her." Ryeowook said. "The Hunters Association is falling apart. My uncle is dead." He said coldly. "This vile witch you sealed away is back. She's in control of the association now. Only, they aren't really hunters anymore. They're vampire hunters, who are gifted with her blood. She controls them because of her witch blood."

"How do you know all of this?" Haemi asked in fear.

"The spirits." Ryeowook simply said. "Shinhye had the spirits visited her and she understands as much as I do now."

The conversation was interrupted by screaming. A high-pitched scream that could only belong to Seolgi. The occupants of the room were out in moments and charging down the stairs in seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------