Chapter 6 - Don't Forget Me

Found You

“What sound is that, Taehyung?”

Taehyung turns around his head to find his chubby bunny lovely bestfriend who is busy rearranging their bed. “It’s Jungkook, harabeoji. I think he want to redecorate our room.” He says through the phone he is holding.

“No, I just want to shift our bed. That’s it, harabeoji..” Jungkook shouts as he pulls his own bed toward Taehyung’s.

“Then you have to help him..”

“Should I? I think he is strong enough to do it by himself.” Taehyung grins widely to the younger who had done removing the distance between their bed.

“You are mean, Taehyung. Just go help him.”

“No need to. I’m done harabeoji.” Jungkook shouts again, makes sure that his voice is loud enough to be heard by the person in the other line. “And you’re right, your beloved grandson is such a meanie hyung for me.” He pouts at the said grandson and earning a little chuckle from the phone.

“But still, you love him so much.”

“Yeah, you’re right again, harabeoji..” Jungkook shows his annoyance to Taehyung as the latter’s grin grows wider.

“Owh, I love you too, Jungkookie..” Taehyung gives Jungkook a really tight hug, making the younger out of breath.

“Ugh.. can’t breathe.. let me go.. I still want to live.. Taeeee!!!”

Taehyung giggles endlessly as he releases his arms from Jungkook’s body while Jungkook tries to catch his breath.

“Kim Taehyung, I thought you have promised Jungkook’s parents to taking care their little kid. Don’t hurt him..” The sound from the loudspeaker interrupts Taehyung’s giggle.

“I’m not a kid anymore!” Jungkook protest. “And yes, Taetae hurts me..”

“No, I just hug him, harabeoji..”

“Yah.. yah.. stop it. You two are just going to hurt my poor ears.”

 

>>><<< 

 

“What is that, Baek?”

Baekhyun glances up to the tall boy in front of him. He shows him a soft smile before giving him something he is holding in his hand. A necklace, with flat round shaped pendant. “Appa gave it to me when I met him in the hospital before we went back to the academy.”

“This is yours..”

“Yes, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun nods as Chanyeol rubs the engraving of Baekhyun’s name on the pendant. “”Appa new my name from that pendant, and that’s the only information he got about me. ‘Baekhyun’.. that’s it, without surname.”

“You want to know your real family, don’t you?”

Baekhyun nods his head again. “I want to know if I still have family. I want to know if there is people in this world who is searching for me..”

“Baek..”

“Why can’t I remember anything?” Baekhyun bows his head, trying to hide the sadness in his face from Chanyeol. But Chanyeol already places his hands on both of Baekhyun’s cheeks and lifting up his head, making him unable to avoid his gaze.

“Hey, Baekhyun.. remember that you still have doctor Byun.. and me..”

“I know, but still..” Baekhyun cuts off his words. He doesn’t even know how to describe his feeling right now. “It becomes more difficult for me. The fact that 'Byun' is not my surname and I lost my memory."

“I know, Baek.. I know..”

“I really want to remember, Chanyeol. The thought of my real family is searching for me and I can’t search back for them because I can’t remember about them, even about myself is really torturing me.” Baekhyun can feels the tears start to well up in his eyes, getting ready to slide down his cheeks. “What should I do? What should I do to get my memory back?”

“You can try to remember it slowly, Baek. Don’t force yourself too hard. Remember when you tried so hard to got your memory back and your head hurt so much? I don’t want you to experience that pain again.”

Baekhyun just sighs heavily. He closes his eyes, letting the drops of his tears to roll down his cheeks. Chanyeol wipes the tears away as he always did whenever Baekhyun cried in front of him.

“Please don’t cry, Baek..”

“I know I shouldn’t cry. I have to be strong..”

Chanyeol gives him a reassuring smile. “You can do that, Baek. I believe it.”

 

>>><<< 

 

“Why did you shift our bed, Kookie? You removed all the distance between them.”

Taehyung is lying on the edge of his bed, facing Jungkook who is also lying on the edge of his own bed. Taehyung’s right hand is on Jungkook’s pillow, occasionally playing with Jungkook’s hair.

“Because I want to..” Jungkook replies. “In case I have a nightmare and get scared because of it, I just need to roll over to your bed and then hold you tight.. or hide my face in your chest.. or waking you up. But maybe the last option is a little bit difficult.”

“Nightmare?” Taehyung frowns. It feels weird for some reason he doesn’t really know. “Did you have a nightmare?”

“Not yet. And honestly, I don’t want to have one though..”

“So?”

“I’ve said ‘in case’, Tae.. or, if you are the one who have the nightmare, you can roll over to my bed.”

“No way, you’ll definitely kick me out of bed.”

“Of course I won’t do that. I will comfort you, whispering something like ‘I’m here.. I won’t go and leave you..’ and I will hug you for the rest of the night.”

Taehyung feels more weird. Why does it seem like he ever experienced that situation? Did it really ever happen? Does Jungkook really know something about his nightmare?

“What are you thinking?”

“Nothing, Kookie..”

“But your face is blank, you must be in a deep thought. ‘Blank Tae mode on’, you know?”

Taehyung giggles softly. His hand moves to ruffle Jungkook’s hair.

“What is that giggle for?” Jungkook tries to look annoyed.

“The ‘Blank Tae mode on’.. where do you find that words?”

“I create it by myself. You know, your face is always blank everytime you seem too focus on something or in a deep thought or if you confuse. That’s the ‘Blank Tae mode on’..” Jungkook gives Taehyung some explanation. “Ooh.. now you are in ‘Judging Tae mode on’..” Jungkook points Taehyung face with his index finger.

“What the hell is that again, Kookie? I didn’t do anything.”

“Yeah, you did. Your facial expression did everything.”

“Oh, did I?” Jungkook nods his head, making Taehyung sighs heavily. “Ok, then blame my face for doing everything.” This time, Jungkook is the one who giggles happily while Taehyung shows his annoyance. “Whatever. I’m going to sleep.” He says again before closing his eyes, ignoring Jungkook who is still giggling alone.

“Give me your hand, Tae.” Jungkook manages to say something after he stops his giggle.

“For what?” Taehyung replies, not bothering to open his eyes again but still reaches his hand to Jungkook.

“This way, both of us will be kept from the nightmare.” Jungkook says as he entwines his fingers to Taehyung’s. “It’s our shield, Tae..” He continues while shaking their hands lightly, earning a soft smile from the latter. “Good night, Taetae..”

“Good night, Kookie..”

 

>>><<< 

 

It’s a tiring day. Taehyung just finishing his dance class for today. He feels so exhausted and decides to just go back to the dorm while Jungkook goes to the cafeteria to buy some food for both of them.

“Super spicy.. I want the super spicy one.. What? Why?” Taehyung whines through the cell phone. That chubby cheeks with bunny teeth kid won’t buy him what he want. “Please, Kookie..” He tries to persuade the younger with his cute voice, but it seems like he fails anyway. “Ok, fine. No super spicy, just spicy..”

Taehyung definitely isn’t paying attention to his surroundings when he made his way to the dorm while speaking to Jungkook through the phone that he bumps his shoulder into something, or someone to be exact.

“I’m sorry..” Taehyung immediately bends down to the person he bumped.

“Oh.. it’s you, Kim Taehyung.”

And Taehyung finally realizes who is the figure he bumped after hearing the voice of the person. "Chanyeol sunbae .. Sorry, I’m not paying attention to my surroundings that I bump into you..”

“It’s okay, Taehyung..” Chanyeol pats Taehyung’s shoulder lightly and gives the younger a reassuring smile.

Taehyung returns the smile before turning his gaze to the floor. There is something falling right beside Chanyeol’s leg. “Is that your book?”

“Oh, yes.” Chanyeol intends to take his falling book but Taehyung is already preceding him and grabs the book from the floor. “Taehyung, you don’t have to-” His words is interrupted when accidentally his eyes caught something appeared from behind Taehyung’s shirt. A necklace, with a flat round shaped pendant.

“Here, sunbae..” Taehyung gives the book to Chanyeol.

“Thanks.” Chanyeol keeps his gaze to the necklace that is hanging on Taehyung’s neck, the same necklace as Baekhyun’s. Is this just a coincidence?

It seems like Taehyung realizes if Chanyeol keeps staring at him. He tries to follow Chanyeol’s gaze and wonders if there is something wrong with him. “What’s wrong, sunbae?”

“Your necklase.. can I see it?” Chanyeol asks hesitantly.

“Huh? My necklace?” Taehyung looks a little bit surprised, not expecting Chanyeol to ask about his necklace. However, he is willing to release the necklace from his neck. “Sure, here..” Taehyung hands over the necklace to Chanyeol, letting the latter to observe his necklace.

“Taehyung.” Chanyeol reads the name that engraved on the pendant he is holding, the same engrave as the one on Baekhyun’s necklace. Could this be just a coincidence? “Have you had this necklace for long? I've never seen you wear it before.”

“Actually, I always wore it since childhood. It's just that I used to hide it behind my clothes.” Taehyung replies Chanyeol’s question while wondering to himself, why does Chanyeol look so interested in his necklace?

”Is this necklace made specifically?”

“Yes. Why are you asking that?”

“Because I've seen the same necklace as this one,” Chanyeol returns the necklace to Taehyung, and he swears he can sees Taehyung’s expression that instantly changes after hearing his statement. Taehyung looks so shocked, really shocked, makes him even more convince that this isn’t just a coincidence.

“What? Really?”

Chanyeol nods his head. “It's just not your name that is engraved on the pendant..” He hangs his sentence on purpose, curious about Taehyung’s next reaction.

“Who? Can you please tell me, sunbae?” Taehyung looks really want to know.

“You already know that there is another necklace similar to yours?”

Taehyung just nods.

“Aren’t you suppose to know whose name is engraved on that necklace?”

”Yes, but I need to know the owner of the other necklace..”

“Of course, the owner of that necklace is the same person whose name is engraved on the pendant.”

“Baekhyun..” That name comes from Taehyung’s mouth just like a whisper.

Chanyeol nods his head again. Taehyung really knows about Baekhyun’s necklace. Now he is sure if Taehyung has a certain relationship with Baekhyun. “Yes, Taehyung. It’s Baekhyun.”

“Do you mean.. Byun Baekhyun?” Taehyung’s voice sounds trembling and his eyes begin to teary.

“Yes.”

Taehyung can feels his body become weak. His legs are not as strong anymore to support his body. The fact that he just knew making his feelings mixed. He isn’t even sure if now he feels so happy or just feels otherwise. Byun Baekhyun is actually his Baekhyun, his Baekhyun hyung. But what happen with his Baekhyun hyung? Why can’t he recognize him? Why is Baekhyun like a stranger to him? Or is he the one who like a stranger to Baekhyun?

“Hyung..”

“Hyung? Actually, what’s your relationship with Baekhyun? Why do you have the exact same necklace? Is he your sibling?” Chanyeol asks again but Taehyung barely hears it. His head is too full with his own questions.

“Where is he? I need to meet him. Sunbae, please.. tell me where is he now?” Taehyung pleads.

“He told me he want to read some book in the park behind the library building.”

“I’ll go there."

“Wait, Taehyung..” Chanyeol holds Taehyung by the hand, making the younger stops. “Whatever you want to say or ask to him, can you hold it? I beg you.. I can’t let him thinking too much because it will make him hurt his head.” He sighs before continuing his explanation. He has to tell Taehyung about Baekhyun’s condition. “You have to know that Baekhyun lost his memory..”

“What?! Do you mean amnesia?”

Chanyeol nods. He feels a little anxious to see Taehyung’s condition. The younger must be really shock until his body get shaky. Chanyeol holds Taehyung’s trembling body in order to remain him stand upright. “Are you okay, Taehyung?”

“I guess so..” Taehyung manages to reply, even though he feels the opposite way. How can he be okay in this situation? “I still need to meet him, sunbae..”

“Okay, but remember what I’ve said to you.. don’t make him hurt himself.”

“I won’t. I promise..”

With that, Chanyeol releases his grip on Taehyung’s hand, letting the latter to run toward his bestfriend.

 

>>><<< 

 

Jungkook freezes in place. His right hand is still holding a cell phone that stucks in his right ear. He heard everything. He heard all of Taehyung and Chanyeol’s conversations over the phone call. And he can imagine clearly how Taehyung’s current conditions and what he feels this time.

“Tae..”

No response from the other line. Taehyung certainly doesn’t remember if his phone call is still connected with Jungkook. Jungkook finally disconnects the call and moves from where he is standing. He has to go somewhere now.

 

>>><<< 

 

Taehyung stares at the sight in front of him. Byun Baekhyun, no .. Kim Baekhyun is sitting alone on a bench while reading a book. Taehyung really wants to run toward the boy, hugging him tightly and tell him how much he have missed him. But he can’t do that. Baekhyun will confuse if he do that, and he won’t be able to give an explanation to Baekhyun, to his hyung who can’t remember him.

“Hyung, I miss you so much..”

Taehyung says quietly and then he sees Baekhyun lifts his head. It makes him feel that Baekhyun heard his words, but of course he didn’t. Taehyung sees Baekhyun closes the book and puts it on his lap, then reaches something from his blazer’s pocket. A necklace.. that same necklace as his own. Taehyung turns his gaze to the necklace he is holding in his hand. What will happen if Baekhyun knows that he also has the same necklace as his? What will happen if Baekhyun sees his necklace? Will he remember him? Should he shows his necklace to Baekhyun? But how if he makes Baekhyun hurt his head instead?

Taehyung sighs heavily as he puts his necklace in his blazer’s pocket. He can’t do that. He has promised Chanyeol he won’t hurt Baekhyun. Hell, of course he himself definitely doesn’t want to hurt his brother. But he really wants Baekhyun to remember him though, to recognize him as his little brother.

‘Please.. don’t forget me..’

Taehyung slowly makes his way toward Baekhyun who is now staring at the necklace in his hand. The closer he is heading toward Baekhyun, the faster his heart beats. Taehyung tries to regulate his breath that is getting heavier, drying his eyes that were already wet from the earlier and puts on his best smile as much as possible. He has to look fine in front of Baekhyun.

“What a nice necklace, Baekhyun sunbae..” Taehyung manages to say something once he stands right in front of Baekhyun, trying not to sounds trembling.

“Oh, Kim Taehyung..” Baekhyun looks a bit surprised. “You are here..”

“Yes , sunbae. I see you here alone, so I decide to approaching you. Am I disturbing you?”

“No, you aren’t. Come here..” Baekhyun shook his head then gesturing Taehyung to sit next to him on the bench which the younger gladly obeys it. “What are you doing here?”

“I just returning some books to the library..” Taehyung lies.

“Ohh, I see. Where is Jungkook? This is the first time I see you without him. Oh, wait.. I think I ever saw him without you too. It was in our first encounter, when he called me Taehyung. Hehehe..” Baekhyun laughs, making Taehyung’s heart to beat faster. He miss that sounds of Baekhyun’s laugh so bad. He really miss Baekhyun so bad.

“He thought you were me..”

“Yes, he did.” Baekhyun nods his head while looking straight at Taehyung’s face, thinking that maybe his own face a few years ago looks like Taehyung’s face right now.

“Why don’t you wear that necklace?” Taehyung asks, eyes glued to the necklace in Baekhyun’s hand.

“Want to see it?” Baekhyun gives the necklace to Taehyung, letting the younger to observe it. “Is it really nice? Do you like it?”

Taehyung nods his head, eyes still glued to the necklace now in his hand. It’s really that necklace, his brother’s necklace. Byun Baekhyun is Kim Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun is his brother. He finds him. He finds his brother.

“Hey, Taehyung.. are you crying? What’s wrong?” Baekhyun’s soft voice is heard and Taehyung finally realizes that his tears already rolled down his cheeks without he noticed it before.

“No, I’m not crying.” Taehyung lies again. His hand is now busy wiping his tears roughly. “It’s just my eyes get sore. Maybe there is something in my eyes.”

“Then you have to be careful and don’t rub them roughly like that. They’re become red, you know?” Baekhyun holds Taehyung’s hands. “Let me see..” He continues as he places both of his hands on Taehyung’s cheeks. That makes Taehyung’s tears to roll down his cheeks again. Taehyung has tries his best to hold it back but the feeling of being cared by his brother who has lost for a long time is too overwhelming. “Do they still sore? Your tears just keep falling down..” Baekhyun begin to worry. “I’ll blow them.” And he really blows Taehyung’s eyes tenderly. “Do you feel better now?”

“I guess..” Taehyung replies quietly as Baekhyun begin to wipes his tears away.

“It feels like I’m taking care my little brother who is crying endlessly..”

“I’m sorry..”

“No. You aren’t doing any mistake, you just get sore in your eyes. Beside, I’d love to have a little brother like you..” Baekhyun gives Taehyung his rectangular smile and Taehyung has to tries his best again to hold his tears. He can’t cry again now.

“I’d love to be your little brother, hyung.. I mean, sunbae..”

“You have to stop call me sunbae. If we are going to be brothers, you have to call me hyung. I’m no longer just your senior, I’m a hyung for you from now.”

“H-Hyung..” Taehyung fails to not stutter.

“Yes.”

"Baekhyun hyung..” This time, Taehyung fails to make his voice not trembling.

“Yes, I’m your Baekhyun hyung..” Baekhyun smiles widely and pats Taehyung’s head. “.. and this Baekhyun hyung of yours has to go now even though he still wants to hang out with you.” He continues with an apologetic expression on his face.

“It’s okay, we can hang out again later..”

"Ok, then.” Baekhyun hugs the younger for a brief time – too brief that Taehyung has no time to hug him back – before getting up from the bench. “See you, Tae..”

“See you, hyung..” Taehyung waves his hand at Baekhyun who is starting to walk away. “My Baekhyun hyung..” He adds, a drop of his tear manages to escape from the corner of his eyes. He can’t hold back his tears anymore.

 

>>><<< 

 

“Taehyung!”

Jungkook shouts to the boy who is crying silently on a bench. He can see that said boy immediately wipes his tears as he makes his way toward him.

“Jungkookie, why are you here?” Jungkook just stands still in front of Taehyung, ignoring his question and just stares at the latter with his teary eyes. “Hey, what’s wrong? Why are you crying?”

Taehyung looks a bit worry, and Jungkook just throws himself to Taehyung as soon as the elder gets up from the bench to take a better look of Jungkook’s face. Jungkook hugs Taehyung tightly while sobbing helplessly in Taehyung’s embrace. He hates the fact that Taehyung still manages to pretend that he is okay even though his heart is aching so much. He hates the fact that Taehyung doesn’t want to show his sadness in front of him.

“Tae..”

“What’s wrong, Kookie? What makes you cry?” Taehyung asks softly as he Jungkook’s hair to calm him down.

“You..”

“What?” Taehyung gets shock by Jungkook’s answer. He puts his hands on Jungkook’s shoulders and pushes his body away so he can see Jungkook’s face clearly. “What did I do to you? Did I do something wrong?”

But again, Jungkook ignores Taehyung’s question and just sobbing quietly.

“Please, Jungkookie.. tell me what I’ve done to you that makes you cry like this?”

“Hyung..” Jungkook calls Taehyung again and the latter just hums in response, wondering the reason Jungkook calls him that way. “Why are you doing this to me? Why are you hiding it from me?” he punches Taehyung’s chest lightly. “Why, Taehyungie?”

“Hiding what?” Taehyung looks confuse, but for some reason he feels like he knows what Jungkook is saying about.

“I know it, Tae..” Jungkook looks at Taehyung right in his eyes. “Harabeoji told me last night, and I heard your conversation with Chanyeol sunbae through the phone.. I also saw you and Baekhyun sunbae here.”

Taehyung eyes become wide after hearing Jungkook’s words. He collapses on the bench once again and just stares blankly to the ground. His vision become blurry again because of his tears.

“Why, Tae? Why don’t you want to share your problem with me? Can’t you trust me?” Jungkook sits next to Taehyung, his hands reaches to hold Taehyung’s hands.

“It’s not like that, Kookie..” Taehyung’s voice comes almost like a whisper.

“Then what? You know I always told you my problem. I shared all of them with you. Can’t you do that too?”

“......”

“I hate it when I know you are sad but I can’t do anything to comfort you because you hide it from me. It hurt me to see you hurt but you just keep it to yourself. I just want to be able to comfort you, to protect you like you always did to me, Tae..” Jungkook lifts Taehyung’s chin to make the latter facing him. “Can I? Will you let me to do that?”

Taehyung still remain silent. They just stare at each other with their teary eyes for a moment. Honestly, Taehyung never expects Jungkook to feel that way. He never told the younger about his problem because he didn’t want to make him sad as well. He never like seeing Jungkook sad, hurt and cry because for him, Jungkook’s smile is so precious. It can makes him feel serene, pleasant and relief. But now here he is. He just makes Jungkook sad, hurt and cry. It’s all because of him.

“I’m sorry, Jungkook.” Taehyung finally manages to say something. “I’m so sorry for hiding it from you.”

Jungkook pulls Taehyung into his embrace again. “It’s okay, Taehyung.. just don’t do that again. You are the one who told me to share our problem. So, you have to do that, like I always did. I’ll be there for you like you always been there for me. We have each other, right?”

Taehyung nods his head as he tighten his hug. Even though he has to face a bitter reality, though his heart aches so bad, but as long as Jungkook is there with him, he feels like he will be able to survive.

“Thanks, Kookie..”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, readers..

I'm so sorry for a really really late update. I was busy with my work lately and I got distracted with another idea. So, I decided to make another fict instead of continuing this one when I got a spare time. Please forgive me... (n_n)v