Chapter 2 - Byun Baekhyun

Found You

“What are you doing there, Baek?”

Chanyeol approaches the boy who is standing alone in the balcony of his apartment. Byun Baekhyun, his beloved friend who has a cute face, milky skin, and small body – or maybe it just Chanyeol himself who is too tall. That said boy seems unaware of his existence and just stares blankly at the sky.

“Baek?”

Chanyeol calls Baekhyun once more, and this time Baekhyun turns his gaze to him who is now standing right next to the said boy.

“Chanyeol..”

Chanyeol frowns. Baekhyun looks different. He doesn’t seem like he used to be. His eyes is dims, his typical rectangular smile is nowhere to be found. Something must be happen to him. Chanyeol knows that.

“What happen, Baek?”

“Nothing. I’m just tired.”

“Do you want to go to sleep now?”

“That’s a good idea. We better sleep early since we have to go back to the academy tomorrow.”

“Okay, let’s sleep.”

Chanyeol holds Baekhyun's hand and leads him to his room. They lay their bodies side by side on the bed but Baekhyun immediately turns his body so his back is facing Chanyeol. This makes Chanyeol more convinced that something had happened to Baekhyun. If he remembered back, Baekhyun does look different since he came to his apartment. Baekhyun looked gloomy and so quiet, when usually he was always be a cheerful boy. And Chanyeol knows Baekhyun so well that he knows for sure that Baekhyun is sad. But why is he sad? Should he ask Baekhyun first? Should he just wait the other to tell him his problem?

And then, Chanyeol hears the sound of sobbing from his left side, the place where Baekhyun is laying down. Chanyeol can see Baekhyun’s back is shaking and he immediately realize something..

“Baek?”

“Hhmm?”

“Are you sleeping?”

“Hhmm..”

Chanyeol sighs heavily. How can Baekhyun hiding something from him? How can Baekhyun thought that he will not notice it?”

“You are crying right now, Baek. Aren’t you?”

“No, I’m not.”

“Don’t lie to me. I know you are. Your body is shaking, even your voice is shaking too.”

There is no response from Baekhyun, only his back that seems to shaking more and the sobbing that sounds more clearly.

“Please, turn around and look at me.” Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun’s body slowly, trying to make the latter to facing him. Baekhyun tries to fight but Chanyeol refuses to give up until he finally can turns the other’s body to his direction. “Why are you crying, Baek?”

Still no response from Baekhyun. That said boy immediately buries his face in Chanyeol’s chest. His arm is gripping Chanyeol’s t-shirt tightly as if his life depens on it. Chanyeol puts his arms around Baekhyun’s small body and let the latter cries in his embrace while rubbing Baekhyun’s back tenderly to calm him down.

Five minutes has passed and Baekhyun finally looks calm. The grip on Chanyeol’s t-shirt begin to loosen and Baekhyun’s body isn’t shaking heavily as previously. But still, Chanyeol can hears Baekhyun sobs quietly.

“Do you feel better now?” Chanyeol asks Baekhyun softly while still hugging the latter. His arm now is rubbing Baekhyun’s hair.

“Little.” Baekhyun’s voice sounds hoarse and very quiet.

“What happen, Baek? Would you mind to tell me?”

Chanyeol bows his head, trying to look at Baekhyun’s face that still buried in his chest. Chanyeol can feels Baekhyun shifts slightly from his position and aligns his head with Chanyeol’s, though his eyes still refuses to look into Chanyeol’s eyes.

“Chanyeol..”

“Yes, Baek?”

“Appa..”

“What happen with doctor Byun?”

“I... I... I’m...”

Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun into his arms for the second time because the latter starts to cry again, “It’s okay, Baek. Just take your time. You have to calm down yourself first.”

“I’m not his son, Yeol. I just found it yesterday. He had lied to me for seven years.”

“What?” Chanyeol gets shock while Baekhyun tries to tell him between his own sobs.

“He found me in an accident. he .. he saved me .. and took care of me. He adopted me.. because I am alone.. and have no family, or maybe because I can’t remember .. I absolutely can’t remember.. if I still have family or not.”

Baekhyun cries loudly, making Chanyeol chest felt congested. He doesn’t like to see Baekhyun sad. He always likes Baekhyun who is carefree and cheerful.

“I’m not Byun Baekhyun after all, and I don’t even know who I am.”

Chanyeol hugs Baekhyun’s body tighter. He knows that it’s really hard for the latter. He still remembers when he met Baekhyun for the first time in hospital seven years ago. At that time, Chanyeol just transferred to inpatient room and found a boy with a bandage around his head who was sitting on the bed that was beside his own bed while staring out the window. After the nurse who escorted her leaved the room, he went up to the boy and introduced himself. The boy just looked at him blankly and when he asked the name of the boy, he just shook his head without saying a word. It made Chanyeol confused. But then, doctor Byun – the doctor who was treating his broken arm – came to the room and then told him that the boy was Byun Baekhyun, his own son. Chanyeol still remembers clearly how Baekhyun’s facial expressions when looking at doctor Byun after that doctor introduced himself to Chanyeol. However, that Chanyeol seven years ago didn’t consider it as something important and more interested to made his days in the hospital become fun together with Baekhyun as his roommate.

“I don’t have anyone.. I’m alone..”

“No, Baek. Don’t ever say like that again because you are not.” Chanyeol cups Baekhyun face with his hand, forcing the other to look at him. “Hey, listen..” Chanyeol is looking Baekhyun right at his eyes as he says, “You have me. You always have me, remember? Don’t ever think that you are alone. You also have doctor Byun. Even he isn’t your real father, he is still your father. He loves you so much for real and you do too, don’t you?”

Baekhyun nods his head while his tears falls again and rolling down his cheeks. Chanyeol wipes the tears away tenderly with his thumb. “That’s the important thing, that you love each other for real, no matter if you both have a blood relations or not.”

Chanyeol shows his smile, hoping Baekhyun will follow what he is doing. And it’s happens. He can see the smile reflected on Baekhyun’s face. Even though it looks weak, but Chanyeol so grateful to see that smile.

"I must have looked very whiny tonight."

Without realizing it, Chanyeol slightly chuckles on what Baekhyun said. The latter now looks calmer and had stopped sobbing, making Chanyeol feels a little relief.

“It’s okay, Baek. I know this is hard for you. It’s natural if we cry when we are sad. Although if I may be honest, I really hate to see you sad and cry.”

Chanyeol sees Baekhyun smiles again. This time his smile looked more cheerful and Baekhyun’s gloomy face now looks more radiant.

“I guess you are fine now. Do you want to call your father? He must be worry about you. You just left him and run away to my apartment, right?” Chanyeol stares at Baekhyun accusingly.

“Of course I’m not. I told him that I’m going to your apartment to calm myself.”

“Then call him. At least tell your father that you're okay. And don’t forget to tell him that you love him very much.”

And Baekhyun do what Chanyeol has said to him. He almost cries again when talking with doctor Byun on the phone, if only Chanyeol’s hand isn’t grasping his own gently.

“Thanks a lot, Chanyeol.”

“You are welcome, Baekhyun.”

And then, they are repositioning their bodies, getting ready for bed. Baekhyun's hand never escape from Chanyeol’s grip. Even in a dream, Chanyeol really doesn’t want Baekhyun to felt alone.