{three of six}

Leap Of Faith

This chapter will comprise point of views of three different characters. 
Taemin, Key and Onew. XDD it will be indicated on who is narrating.
i. In Key' shoes
ii. Taemin's eyes
iii. Onew's footsteps 

I used a CAKE as a metaphor for love, i hate metaphors. but it seems fun to use in this story.
I mention in here, Onew's brother. here he is. LOL. 

Photobucket

CHAPTER 3 

If my troubles and griefs were weighed on scales,
They would weigh more than the sands of the seas.
So my wild words should not surprise you.
Almighty God has shot me with arrows,
And their poison spreads through my body.
God has lined up his terrors against me. 

Job 6:1-4





In Key’s Shoes - -- 

I comforted myself despite this cruel storm with a cup of coffee and a breakfast chat with Taemin. We agreed to meet at a Pancake house across the street from his school. I love hanging out with Taemin, cause he is a kid if you count his age but his thoughts are way beyond his years. Like me, He has the passion for cooking and we clicked right away. He is so happy that he is finally in his senior year and will be attending the same culinary school as mine. I see him enter the store and his car leaving. 

Taemin is filthy rich. He is the son of a diplomat who also is an inventor by profession. His mother on the other hand has a jewelry business in Europe. I suddenly remember, Jonghyun asked me to get Taemin to confess his feelings for minho which are oh-so-obvious. But it would be really hard, Love is not something you just wear on your sleeve and parade. Taemin is a very different case.

“ sorry im late! “ he bowed and sat next to me. 

“ No, no- i just came in. “ I lied, i was here an hour ago, I know right. 6 in AM. Thats cause i cant sleep. Everytime i close my eyes, all i could see is Onew smiling at me. Onew staring at me while I made my speech at the shop. And the worst? Me, imagining what Onew’s bed will look like when he tied the balloons. 

“ either way, I have good news for us!”

“ what?”

He pulled out an orange folder from his bag and handed it to me, 

“ I present out ticket to Paris Royalty,” 

I stared wide-eyed and in shock, Its two invitations to take the exam for Paris’ Culinary training program. Ive heard about this before, but it is given personally and to Chefs who already have their own restaurants. Its a 6 month training to the Culinary history and Genius of Paris. My eyes were wide-open and Taemin is laughing. 

“ so, how did the apology go?” he smiled slyly at me. He knows. He knows. 

“ it went well, i think he ate the cake and promised to tie the balloons on his bed.” I replied nonchalantyl but inside im panicking. Why didnt think of this before? Taemin knows Onew more than i do! They work together. Even if its just, twice a week. The million questions I want Onew to answer might be in taemin’s brain, i just need to crack it open.

“ that’s was sweet Key, what you did. The crowd couldnt stop talking about,”

“ wait, what?” I stopped eating my pancakes. 

“ after your scene, i went out for a break and the people were like talking about it. They say you guys are a cute couple.” I could feel his eyes on me, waiting for my reaction or confession.

“ OKAY.” I replied finally, “ I like Onew. Happy?” 

He laughed, “ I know you do, its written all over your face.”

The comment made me cringe, imagining myself in some glow in the dark paint that reads: I LOVE LEE JINKI. MY ONEW. MINE! MY PRECIOUS. I shuddered. 

“ what do you know about him? “ I prodded. 

“ he came in months ago, The manager said as a favor from a friend. We virtually dont know anything about him.” My heart sank. “ he is an 89-er, he says he is still in school but irregular classes cause of work. He talks of a family and own home. Pretty much a good person, everyone likes him.” 

I closed my eyes. Taemin took the folder from me and read the invitation himself. 

“ The exam would be pretty hard, you only have like, 6 months to prepare” He was reading the menu as he said it. But i dont care, if i have to cage myself in a house for 6 months, i will- i have to get this. 

“ We will ace this Taemin, I just know.”

“ I wont be going, I dont even have a background yet.”

“ But you bake cakes in the shop! “

“ Its just a favor , “ he protested “ and besides, it says, enrolled in a culinary school that is accredited. Which, im not. And, dont worry, i will go with you. “

“ thanks!”

I clasped my hands and finished my pancakes, 

“ why will you be going to paris anyway?” I asked casually,

“ Im actually planning on staying there. “ Silence filled the air and I eyed him.

“ But- SEOUL is your home Taemin, your parents are here, and Paris is just too strange for you. “ 
I know there is a bigger reason for this outburst. He is not the type to make this decisions, Taemin is a prince here in seoul and just moving there. I hear him talk about the things he loves about seoul and how its the best city. This is his home, 

“ I know, but- I want change.” 

“ you’re lying, “ i cut in. 

He avoided my gaze cause he knows when I see his eyes, i will know that he is lying. 

“ Ive given up on minho.” 

Those words hung in the air for a moment and i processed it. Taemin always liked Minho, I knew it the first time we met each other. We were talking about the school im attending, then he talked about his parents and friends and i could still remember it. The way his eyes danced when Minho came in the shop and greeted him, he whispered almost inaudibly to me, “ He is the best thing about this City.” It was love at first sight for Taemin. Being the rich kid that he is, he doesnt know his way around the city. One day, he got lost and heaven just led him towards a man smoking his cigar after his class. Minho as i said is on college and does part time. 

According to Taemin, Minho was so nice that he helped Taemin get home. Even giving him a piggy back when they got too tired *taemin’s house is in a secluded place, with lots of planes*. It was the first time Taemin found a person that was literally like his very own Superman. But Minho, just couldnt stop sleeping around. Jonghyun said its because of his ‘LIVE EVERY SECOND’ attitude. But I know better., I could see the way the little er looks at Taemin. I see the fire in his eyes, but he wouldnt dare touch Taemin. I confronted him once, 

“ Staring at him while he makes pastries wont do you any good, “ i said flatly, out of frustration from Jonghyun’s failed plans. 

“ I like it this way,” he replied, surprising me. 

“ do you even like him Choi Minho? Cause if you do, -“ I raised my arms and did all this exaggerated gestures “ It would be astronomical, Like. You dont have to ‘ live the second’ you can just-“ 

He stared at me and almost smiled. “ You know that black prada bag that you keep salivating over in the store?”

The question caught me off guard, but i remember it. That black classic prada bag that i want so much, i evend dream about it sometimes. “so?” i shot back. 

“ You love it so much, but you never bought it. Never. But you-“

“ Minho, Taemin is not a prada bag. You can actually talk to him, “ I snapped. 

“ he deserves better, “ He sighed and went out. 

Its already 7 am in my watch and i have to get going, Professor Sauniere allowed us to show our creations for her client. But taemin was still waiting for my answer. 

“ you know the first time we talked?” 

I asked as i paid the bill and fixed my bag, he nodded. 

“ I remembered alot of things, but something stuck out Taemin. I didnt believe you, and i didnt get it first, but you told me that Minho is the best thing in this city. Thats why you love the city.”

He bowed his head and i could feel that he will cry any moment now. I said goodbye and left taemin alone. He needed time to think, or maybe, finally confront Minho. 


=== Eyes of Taemin === 

you told me that Minho is the best thing in this city

My professor is talking about computer programming today. I scratched my head as i tried to figure out the commands to use for the exercise. 

you told me that Minho is the best thing in this city

Joon, my classmate asked me if I wanted to go out tonight with them for a party. I declined, i said something about my parents being strict this weekend. 

you told me that Minho is the best thing in this city

I tried to get the phrase out of my head but it wouldnt leave me alone, i said that two years ago but the fact of the matter still rings true. Minho will always be the knight in shining armour and im the feeble knight. The first time we met, 2 years ago, was because of my stupidity and his kindness. Two very different things that created something wonderful. Atleast for me. 

It was a hot afternoon and we were dismissed in class early. My friends and i went to an ice cream shop and after that they decided to go home; i didn’t want to look weak, calling for a driver to pick me up. So i said that I will be going home by myself too. But after two hours of asking and even taxis wont take me to my destination cause they dont know it *our house is virtually an unknown area, my dad gets carried away with his experiments sometimes so we have to live far*. Then I caught sight of him. I thought he was shooting some TV AD. The way his clothes hugged his body and the way he held the cigar in his hands. His back and one foot against the wall and jsut staring into space. The drivers and people around did not know what im talking about, but there is something about this guy that I trusted. 

“ Hi,” i croaked. He turned to me , puzzled. 

“ yeah?- “ 

“ ah- do you know what ride or station should I be dropped off to get to Myeongseong Village? I gulped as he thought of it and his words shocked me.

“the ghost town?” 

FINALLY. Someone who knows, its not actually a ghost town. No one lives in that place, just my family. My father bought the whole village. 

“ OMG! “ I held his hand and i felt the electricity, but he didnt pull away. He was staring at me. “ you know it?” 

“ kinda. I heard about it, “ 

“ how? “ i asked expectantly. 

“ I think, it will take us two stations then a long walk.” 

He really knows, i thought to myself. It would really take a long walk to get home. In the next hours, he accompanied me to the bus and stations. We ate dinner together and talked. I gathered that his motto in life is LIVE THE SECOND; that he wants to be a professional soccer player and wants to work part time in a coffee shop to pay for trainings that he wants to attend. He is a wonderful person. Then i thought, that if all strangers turn out to be like him, I would gladly endure the torture of going home alone everyday. Then we came to the final stop. There was nothing anymore. Just the fields and plane i pass by when im in the car. I realized how stupid I am to tell my driver that I would be fine, the challenge of being alone was harder than i thought. 

I feel sorry for minho. Its already 10pm. 

“ I cant believe its your first time to go home alone, “ Minho said as we started walking. 

“ and probably my last, i shouldnt have tried to prove something to my friends.” I replied as i kicked the stone getting in the way.

“ It takes alot to prove something you know,” he continued. “ proving to them that you can stand alone , this is it taemin, “ he faced me and we stopped. “ well, you have me. But, you rode a bus and walked and even ate in a street restaurant. That means something.”

He lifted my spirit up, something that my parents can only do for me. At that moment, i knew, he is with me in this deserted village for a reason. 

“ this is it. “ 

I smiled wildly as I presented him my home. I gave him time to get it all in, My house is a castle. As my parents dubbed it. Literally, but a modern one. Minho’s eyes widened at the sight of it and turned to me. 

“ are you some prince or something?” 
“ No, my parents are just-“

Our maid came out and ushered me to get inside. Minho was still in a state of shock, I was thinking of words to ask him to sleep in. There is no way he will get hom at this rate. But how could I? 

“ wow. “ Minho kept saying as we were walking inside. 

“ hey, is it okay if you stay here. Like, its 11PM already, and-“ 

“ i would live here if you ask me, “ 

His proposition was so tempting that i almost said yes but i just smiled. He spent that night in a room next to me and that was the first time that i had trouble sleeping. 

The next months we became closer but then i realized his flaw; he is a womanizer and all that. He falls inlove, according to him too fast. And as much as i want to confess and tell him about my feelings, i cant. I know what he does to those people. How he leaves them broken. I know him to well.

And now, it has come to this. Im moving to Paris. I just cant keep baking cakes that I never give to him. I cant be the good friend anymore. 

Now or never. Key did his scene in a room full of people, the employee locker room is all i can handle for now. I walked inside and Minho is there, fixing himself. For a date perhaps. 

“ hey!” he called me and i stepped closer. I finally took out the box that was hiding behind me. He eyed it, “ thanks.” He replied. 

“ Did you know that, eversince we’ve met, ive been making pastries for you, like, twice or thrice a week?” 

Eyeing me carefully, he stopped fixing his hair and focused all his attention to me. “But i didnt give you one, not even one fo those macaroons i made for you. I just, “

“ Taemin, “ 

“ and, I wanna stop making them, Minho, im freakin tired of making pastries. Designing cakes that you wont even eat, - that- “ im stuttering and Minho looked like he was slapped in the face. “ i cant even. All im saying is, this is the last cake or what that I will be making for you.”

SILENCE. 

“ This isnt about the cake, is it?” he commented and stood up. I imitated the movement and stood up to face him. 

“ Im going to Paris for college, i will be staying there.” 

Everything was so tense, his eyes are piercing through mine that i found my back against the wall. He inched closer and both his hands caged me in that wall. Here we are, me against wall and him pushing me against it. He did not say anything just looked at me and uttered:

“Paris, Really?”

I gulped, “yes. I will be studying there, and it would be a change, really-“

He nodded and I could almost see the sadness in his eyes but he his mouth smiled at me. 

“ HAVE FUN. “ 

I want to punch him in the face. Have fun? He is not even stopping me? Then i removed his arms which are surrounding me cause i had to breathe. I had to learn to breathe and be alive without Minho in the equation. I walked out and just as i went out the room, I heard a loud thud and onew commented. 

“ Looks like someone punched the wall.” 

Its over. Goodbye Minho. 

=== Onew’s footsteps ===

Today is my day away from work. But instead of going to Church and talking to my mentor, *i am about to be a priest in 3 months or so* . But this day is special, kind of. My brother asked me to go cake testing with him for his wedding next month. This is the only thing i could do for my brother, eversince i virtually walked away from our family. I couldnt resist, my idol. My elder brother. I entered the company building and its a good thing that no one noticed me. I took the elevator to his office and hi secretary, a long tim family friend gasped in surprise.

“ONEW!” She quickly pulled me in a tight hug, 

“ Yah- Joori Noona, “ I laughed as i patted her back. 

“ your brother is waiting, are you going to his wedding?”

“ i dont know- “ i smiled bitterly.

“ its been a long time Onew, and its your brother’s day.” She reasoned out and i just bowed and my way to his office. 

I suddenly wondered what would have been my life if i came back to them. I might be working in this company and have my office downstairs. I would have all of this, but the question i have been asking wouldnt be answered here. 

“ ONEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!” My brother who looks almost exactly as me enveloped me in a tight hug that i couldnt even breathe. “oh man! Jiyeon, my wife made me do this cake testing as a punishment.”

He scowled and i only smiled, 

“ i forgot to pick the invitation cards with her, so, now its me, tasting. But i need you here. Its been a while.”

YES. My brother is the only one i kept in contact with. 

“ how are you?” 

I sat down, “ im fine. Doing well.”

“ you will be a priest in what, 3 months?” I nodded and sipped the coffee. His eyes looked at me intently, like he was waiting for me to spill something. Well, i actually am. 

I sighed. “ okay. I havent found the answer i was looking for.”

He threw his fist up in the air and kept muttering, “ i knew it! I knew it!” 

After Jungsoo died. Let me rephrase that, after I drove Jungsoo to his death. I always had this empty space in my heart. He filled it with his smiles and love. But my father found out and threatened him and his family. Coming from a family of a rich bussinessman who also moonlights as a Church lay minister; it was unacceptable. 

Then it happened. They said he died in a car crash. But i know better. He killed himself. Their house was taken away and his parents were removed from their jobs. I could’ve stopped it, but i was too selfish. Cause the answer to my life is Jungsoo, and i couldnt let him go. 

But now, he is gone. I lost it again. The question lives on. That night I came inside the church and the Priest, Father Kwon took me in. I thought the answer was there. But as the days passed by, i couldnt even find it there. My heart is still empty. What is more complicated is that, i feel like its slowly being filled by someone. I tried to push that thought away.

“ I knew it, its not in the Church, Onew, please. Dont be a priest.”

“ well, thats straightforward.”

“ Onew, you are a good person and God loves you; I feel that jungsoo forgave you and-“ he placed his hand on my shoulder, “i dont know what can fill you heart, but Onew- you should see the world.”

“ they wont lock me up in a convent.” I reasoned out. “we will have mission work all over the world.” 

He smirked. “ Onew, doesnt it bother you? The love of you life, or the answer to that emptiness might be someone sitting in out lobby fountain and you wouldnt even know.”

I know his concern and ive been thinking about that. Especially that Key is now in the picture. Why does he have to be so painfully beautiful? I thought he is a shallow person who complains alot when he doesnt have to. But to my surprise, he is as damaged as I am. When he asked for my apology and made a scene is a shop, i had to stop my kness from shaking and my heart from leaping out my chest.
My thoughts were disturbed as the double door on the far end opened, I saw a foreigner chef come in but she speaks well. This must be the cake people. I greeted them and i could feel someone looking at me then someone tripped over the carpet and i turned around.

“ KEY. “

He looked absolutely horrified at the sight of me. He looks good in that uniform with that Chef hat. He stood up straight and acted like nothing happened. 

“ so, i brought my top students here. They also made a cake and pastries for you,”

“ You didnt have to MARIE,” 

“ Your father is an old friend, is this your brother?”

She eyed me and i shook her hand, 

“ Im Onew.” 

They presented the cakes and they all look enticing and they will taste fantastic but i couldnt help but look at Key. This is the first time i saw him nervous. Maybe this is the professor he hates and wants to impress. My brother mouthed “ hey, lets eat.” 

I nodded. I practically like everything, but the chocolate cake on the far end just drove me nuts. Plus the fact that Key looked like he will die on the spot while I was chewing it. 

“ oh, Marie. I CANT CHOOSE. “ 

“ well, you have ~” she laughed and i sat down with them.

“ okay, Onew. What do you like best?”

I pulled out a napkin and spoke, “ The chocolate cake on the far end.” I could see the twinkle in Marie’s eyes and I heard a glass topple. I turned, its Key. Whats wrong with him, 

“ Mr. Kim made that chococlate cake, Come here.” 

Key moved forward, ofcourse! Kim Keybum. I am stunned. Out of all those cakes and - -- i picked the chocolate cake he made? I started to tense and i moved so that Key can sit next to me. 

“ I’ll take it, “ my brother stood upand shook hands. Key looked at me nervously and i smiled. I know my brother saw it so i stood up.

“ im leaving! “ I announced and mouthed a ‘see you later-‘ to Key. 

I walked as fast as i could. Why does it bother me so much? The cake was heavenly. 

“ ONEW! ONEW!”

DAMN. My brother caught up with me. 

“ Wat was that?”

I kept walking, “ what was what?”

“ that guy! I mean, your body completely got all tensed up when he sat next to you.”

“ he is someone i know, “ i replied casually, trying to catch the closing elevator. 

“ ONEW, out of all those, 12 slices of sweet things that taste alike, you chose HIS. “ 

“ Come on- “ i catched the elevator and before it closed i could hear my brother. 

“ Onew! That has got to mean something!”

It mean something. I just dont know what.

Im back for the shop that night, there is unfinished inventory and i seriously need to get it done before i resume work tomorrow. My eyes almost closed shut but then I heard someone come in. I looked up, Key. He is not wearing his uniform anymore, just his usual skinny and top. He smiled sheepishly at me and sat down. 

“ i hate inventory, “ 

“ same here. “ He symphatized and sat down next to me on the floor. 

“ why did you pick the chocolate cake?” 

WHAT THE. Him too? Me, picking his cake bothers him too? I searched for the words but all that came up was. 

“ i really dont know, i just. Like it.” 

“ but there were alot of cakes, and, Marie’s world class strawberry cake was there!” 
He protested, 

“ Im not a strawberry person,” 

I replied weakly and stood up to clean the mess. Something tells me, that this conversation is not about the cake anymore. 

“ so, Okay. You are the brother of the VP- “ he holds his breath, “ of the biggest pharmaceutical company in Korea?” 

“ yes.” I began closing the lights and making my way out and he followed diligently. “well, atleast i got one fact. “

I turned to face him. 

“ what do you want to know about me?”

His eyes sparkled, 

“ Favorite food?”

He fired quickly,

“ anything italian, “

“ classy, now. Gadget you cant live without.”

“ my phone, my brother calls me there.” 

He seems to be enjoying this as we walk towards the bus stop, i stopped short as i see the stars. Theya re particularly bright tonight. I looked up and Key did too. 

“ You want to know my ultimate wish when i was little?” key spoke and I didnt take my eyes away from the sky and said “yes. “ 

“ Whenever my mom goes home drunk and my dad is MIA, I wished for someone to come and rescue me. Like, a superhero that will just take me away.” 

“ dont we all?” i gazed at him. He looks tired and lonely, 

“ But as the years passed, Im just wishing for someone that will tell me that the in cake I made is the best one among all the shops here in Korea or even- “ 

He stopped short. Im stunned. So. I am his wish come true? Then it dawned on me. Me, choosing the cake meant something. I wonder if this is some sign. 

“ Key-“

I tried to hold his hand but he turned away. 

“ I just dont understand where you fit in this.” He sounds frustrated. I am too. I like him, I really do. But i cant cross that Line. I just cant. 

" but the cake told you not to eat it, right?" I suddenly blurted out, which is if translated will be ‘but i told you not to fall inlove with me right?’

We are both idiots. We are both standing here, beneath a perfect starry sky in one of the best city in the world. I am a would-be priest and he has potential to be known in the Culinary world. But here we are, talking about dreams and debating about cake when all we wanted to know for sure if this feelings are worth it. 

But he played along, 

“ But i want the cake.” His eyes are teary now. Its funny and ironic, We are DEFINITELY not talking about the cake anymore.

“ you see, this is what happens when a tornado meets a volcano. Beautiful chaos.” I stated flatly and he shaked his head. We both know this will go nowhere. I cant admit I love him. 

“ What a night, “ he finally said. “ the answer to my wish is standing right infront of me. “ 

I felt like i didnt deserve this. 

I cant give him what he wants. 

“ Can I kiss you? “ 

My heat faltered as i tried to replay what he said and process if I heard right. He could see the confusion in my eye. And without warning he practically collided with my body. Grabbing my shirt to pull me closer into one tortorous Kiss. His lips against mine was surprisingly not even foreign, i swear i can kiss him all day. I could feel his hot breath against mine as the kiss continued. And right after we broke apart and we looked into each other’s eyes. 

It hit me. 

I got the answer I was looking for. 

He is standing right infront of me. 

======================

DO COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE! ^^